Shipping timeframes and cost to UK

Goldieinoz

Hi all, we’re at the beginning stages of planning a move back to the UK from Adelaide and are hoping to get some info from here....

We have a 2 bedroom house worth of stuff plus tools etc and are debating selling what we can and getting 1 or 2 movecubes or using a shipping company and taking it all in a 20ft container. Can anyone give us their experience with either option?

An idea of recent costs and the time taken to get to the UK would be great...

Thanks! 🙏🏻

If you're going to take up a whole 20-foot container then I doubt movecubes are even worth considering.  However, I'd expect a 2-bedroom house wouldn't fill a whole container, especially once you've got rid of clutter.  In that case, one or two Movecubes become much more attractive.

People move using shared containers all the time without problems, but the fact remains that your stuff is in a container with other people's stuff. The container may get unpacked and repacked in transit, too. So a shared container always has a greater risk of things getting lost or damaged than a Movecube, which is sealed.

I'd say it's a no-brainer to take all the small stuff - crockery, cutlery, glassware, utensils, pots and pans, kitchen appliances, towels, cushions, bedlinen etc., as well as toys, sports gear and surplus clothing.  It's not just the cost of replacing it - thought that does mount up scarily fast - it's having to go shopping for all those bits and pieces when you arrive.  It's not something you want to worry about when you've got so much else on your plate.  Also, toys and small familiar things help children settle in better.

One of the things that really annoyed me, was that I'd collected some good kitchen stuff over time, which I left behind - and then I had to rush round the shops to replace it when we arrived in the UK, which meant I had to settle for what was there, rather than wait for just the right make or model. 

All of that stuff will fit in a Movecube, and if you choose a large one, there will be room to take larger items too.  The challenge is working out how much will fit!

If you want to take really big items like a sofa or beds, then a Movecube probably isn't practical. Big pieces of furniture don't fit efficiently inside the cube (and sometimes won't fit at all) so that may be your deal-breaker. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

If you're going to take up a whole 20-foot container then I doubt movecubes are even worth considering.  However, I'd expect a 2-bedroom house wouldn't fill a whole container, especially once you've got rid of clutter.  In that case, one or two Movecubes become much more attractive.

People move using shared containers all the time without problems, but the fact remains that your stuff is in a container with other people's stuff. The container may get unpacked and repacked in transit, too. So a shared container always has a greater risk of things getting lost or damaged than a Movecube, which is sealed.

I'd say it's a no-brainer to take all the small stuff - crockery, cutlery, glassware, utensils, pots and pans, kitchen appliances, towels, cushions, bedlinen etc., as well as toys, sports gear and surplus clothing.  It's not just the cost of replacing it - thought that does mount up scarily fast - it's having to go shopping for all those bits and pieces when you arrive.  It's not something you want to worry about when you've got so much else on your plate.  Also, toys and small familiar things help children settle in better.

One of the things that really annoyed me, was that I'd collected some good kitchen stuff over time, which I left behind - and then I had to rush round the shops to replace it when we arrived in the UK, which meant I had to settle for what was there, rather than wait for just the right make or model. 

All of that stuff will fit in a Movecube, and if you choose a large one, there will be room to take larger items too.  The challenge is working out how much will fit!

If you want to take really big items like a sofa or beds, then a Movecube probably isn't practical. Big pieces of furniture don't fit efficiently inside the cube (and sometimes won't fit at all) so that may be your deal-breaker. 

Thanks for all the info, great help.

I wasn’t very clear sorry the 20ft is if we take everything the movecubes are if we get rid of most things...weighing up the options

The sole use of a 20ft I thought would mean it gets to the UK quicker? Even if we dont have enough to fill it completely As it wouldn’t  have to wait to have it filled with other people’s things? Is that right?

thanks!

1 hour ago, Goldieinoz said:

The sole use of a 20ft I thought would mean it gets to the UK quicker? Even if we dont have enough to fill it completely As it wouldn’t  have to wait to have it filled with other people’s things?

Yes, it should be quicker, but if you take a half-empty container, your stuff is going to racket around and get damaged. 

10 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Yes, it should be quicker, but if you take a half-empty container, your stuff is going to racket around and get damaged. 

Absolutely correct on the moving around issue - you would want to look for ways to fill that space. Container ships rock back and forth pretty heavily on rough seas, not to mention when they are craned onto and off the ship (and again when the transporter breaks heavily on the M6 because some idiot cuts them up)

I don't think there would be a massive time difference between a move cube and a sole container (there will be one but negligible) simply due to the large number of move cube transactions so there will be containers of move cubes going every day so waiting to fill one up shouldn't be that much of a delay

It also depends which ship it is on.  Routes and times vary.  We paid a bit extra and it was 4 weeks faster!  Move cubes are just as fast generally.  They can “fence off” a large container to stop things moving but that is an expensive option.

son had a small one and we fit in his stuff from a one bed appt.  didn’t take sofas or bed but did take flat packed stuff and loads of boxes.  The large one will fit quite a bit, you do need to check the internal dimensions though as some sofas may be too long.

On 26/02/2020 at 13:45, Goldieinoz said:

Hi all, we’re at the beginning stages of planning a move back to the UK from Adelaide and are hoping to get some info from here....

We have a 2 bedroom house worth of stuff plus tools etc and are debating selling what we can and getting 1 or 2 movecubes or using a shipping company and taking it all in a 20ft container. Can anyone give us their experience with either option?

An idea of recent costs and the time taken to get to the UK would be great...

Thanks! 🙏🏻

Sorry can't help you much but we are debating the same as you. From what have researched looks like the container option shipped from Adelaide to London will be about $8000 packed up by company but depends on many factors. 

On 28/02/2020 at 18:25, Lovetoteach said:

Sorry can't help you much but we are debating the same as you. From what have researched looks like the container option shipped from Adelaide to London will be about $8000 packed up by company but depends on many factors. 

Thanks!

Can I ask when your thinking of moving back?