Accounting/Auditing - 189/190

Tom&Jerry

It would be great if someone can give me some suggestions. I have recently submitted my EOI in Jan, 95 points in 189, 100 points in 190 (NSW). Currently I have 1.5y work experience in a tax firm as an accountiant.

My current 485 Visa is going to expire in Nov, at the current rate, I don't think I will be invited before my visa expires.

Recently, I have joined one of the big 4 as a grad in external audit.

1. I am wondering if there is anyone who has any experience if an auditing grad role can be count as auditing experience or account experience?
2. Would I be better off to use it as accounting or auditing experience?
3. Does anyone know if big 4 offers 407 or 482 visa? 

4 minutes ago, Jelly said:

Yes - I was on a sponsored work visa in auditing at a big 4 firm. It might be worth approaching a partner you have worked with and enquiring.

The poster says they are currently working there. Approaching a partner about this instead of HR would be a huge mistake. (It's the right way to do it if you aren't yet in the firm but as an employee it leaves both parties open to accusations of bias and favouritism that you don't want).

Just pick up the phone to your HR rep, if you don't know who it is just dial the internal services number and ask to speak to HR, they'll take your name and put you through to the right person.

They aren't allowed to discuss your request with others unless you give permission so it's a way of testing the water without making any waves.

(Conversely go ask your current partner, effectively boss, if they'll sponsor you and all you do is put into their heads the risk you might have to leave due to visa issues, watch how quickly opportunities to do cool stuff dries up if they get that into their head)

• Like 1

@Ausvisitor Fair enough. I approached a partner and all worked out for me. But approaching HR would work as well and might be a safer option I guess.

However in my experience, HR do not have the power to make decisions over visa sponsorships - the partners had to make those calls and inform HR.

Edited by Jelly

30 minutes ago, Jelly said:

@Ausvisitor Fair enough. I approached a partner and all worked out for me. But approaching HR would work as well and might be a safer option I guess.

However in my experience, HR do not have the power to make decisions over visa sponsorships - the partners had to make those calls and inform HR.

I think you are right in that only the partner can make the sponsor decision, but I would use HR to sound out the plan and help you position the case to the partners.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jelly said:

Yes and no.   The company will have an overall policy on whether or not they sponsor overseas applicants.   A partner can say they'd like to sponsor someone, but if the company policy is not to do so, then it can go no further. 

I've seen a few people have their hopes raised because their boss said yes, only to have their hopes dashed because the company policy meant it wasn't possible. So I'd check that first.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have applied for visa 190 on 1st Feb 2020, in the General Accountant category & it was an offshore application. At the time of applying I already had 1 year of experience as an accountant in Australia. In the state sponsorship invite, they have mentioned that I need to stay and work in NSW for two years. Since I already have one year experience does anyone know whether this 2 years will count that one year's experience.

Or is it 2 years live and work in NSW from the day they grant us PR. 

Many people say that it takes about 8 months for them to grant PR for Accountants for visa 190. Is it true? And have ayone heard any PR visa 190 rejections for accountants. 

Thank you

Alan

1 hour ago, Alan2020 said:

Hi,

I have applied for visa 190 on 1st Feb 2020, in the General Accountant category & it was an offshore application. At the time of applying I already had 1 year of experience as an accountant in Australia. In the state sponsorship invite, they have mentioned that I need to stay and work in NSW for two years. Since I already have one year experience does anyone know whether this 2 years will count that one year's experience.

Or is it 2 years live and work in NSW from the day they grant us PR. 

Many people say that it takes about 8 months for them to grant PR for Accountants for visa 190. Is it true? And have ayone heard any PR visa 190 rejections for accountants. 

Thank you

Alan

From this link https://www.business.nsw.gov.au/live-and-work-in-nsw/visas-and-immigration/Skilled-Nominated-visa-subclass-190

image.png.881245d8c5c62b230077a934ae46e432.png

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

It’s not really a question of rejection. You will either be invited, or you will sit waiting in the queue until your application expires. 

It depends if they decide they need accountants right now, and how many accountants there are with higher points than you

Well, thank you for clarifying Marisa. I'm hoping for the best! 

12 minutes ago, Alan2020 said:

Hi, we applied for VISA 190 and it was an offshore application. Just to check with you guys, are we allowed to apply for medicare.

Thank you

Alan

Check out this link (scroll down to "If you’ve applied for permanent residency"): https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/subjects/how-enrol-and-get-started-medicare/enrolling-medicare/how-enrol-medicare-if-youre-australian-permanent-resident

I think you're eligible. I enrolled with Medicare while my PR was processing, but my application was onshore.

If you want to be sure, just visit a Medicare service centre and they'll be able to guide you.

1 hour ago, Jelly said:

Check out this link (scroll down to "If you’ve applied for permanent residency"): https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/subjects/how-enrol-and-get-started-medicare/enrolling-medicare/how-enrol-medicare-if-youre-australian-permanent-resident

I think you're eligible. I enrolled with Medicare while my PR was processing, but my application was onshore.

If you want to be sure, just visit a Medicare service centre and they'll be able to guide you.

Thank you Jelly. I will check with them. It's good to get medicare, because medical is expensive in Australia