What is not allowed to be Shipped to Australia?

Aussiebird

Guest The Pom Queen
5 minutes ago, Aussiebird said:

Hi,

What items are prohibited in a container please?

Many thanks.

Paint

Fuel

Certain Batteries

Obviously Guns, drugs etc. 

‘Make sure everything is clean, so if you are bringing gardening equipment they have no soil on them. No plants. 

1 hour ago, belter said:

I'm pretty sure I wasn't allowed nail polish perfumes stuff like that

You can bring them they don’t always travel well though because of the heat en route.

Despite what some removals say you CAN bring feather duvets, pillows and cushions, just not that peacock feather you picked up in the park!

Basically anything that might introduce live organic matter, seeds, bugs etc so be very careful about cleaning soles of shoes, vacuums, garden tools and furniture etc.

Thank you everyone for your replies.

I do have a solid oak dining table, rattan corner sofa set and rattan table and chairs that we want to take, its like a plastic rattan though.  The oak table is from Next.  We purchased all of this in the UK.

We do have a bedroom set that we purchased in Australia several years ago,  but its not raw wood, its varnished and i think maybe lacquered in a dark colour, we bought it back to UK and my husband wants to keep it, but can we take it as its wood?

Would the packers know what type of wood furniture cannot be taken?

Our lounge furniture is oak veneer but a set of 3 coffee tables is solid oak.

Thanks again! Xx

14 minutes ago, Aussiebird said:

Thank you everyone for your replies.

I do have a solid oak dining table, rattan corner sofa set and rattan table and chairs that we want to take, its like a plastic rattan though.  The oak table is from Next.  We purchased all of this in the UK.

We do have a bedroom set that we purchased in Australia several years ago,  but its not raw wood, its varnished and i think maybe lacquered in a dark colour, we bought it back to UK and my husband wants to keep it, but can we take it as its wood?

Would the packers know what type of wood furniture cannot be taken?

Our lounge furniture is oak veneer but a set of 3 coffee tables is solid oak.

Thanks again! Xx

Your packers should know. Treated wood, like furniture, is usually ok. 👍

5 hours ago, Amber Snowball said:

Your packers should know. Treated wood, like furniture, is usually ok. 👍

Packers are not always right! One told me I couldn’t take my down duvets, which was wrong.

Treated wood and plastic rattan is fine.  In the UK it is very rare to have untreated wood, even inside a sofa the frame is pressure treated.

With the rattan though even plastic would cause issue if was garden furniture and had any organic matter on it.

We actually brought and declared some baskets, not a problem.  When they say wicker and rattan, they are not concerned about the product per se, more what it might contain.  In some countries rattan rugs are used on dirt floors and will contain all sorts of organic matter, mites etc.  Same reason they don’t like dog beds

If there are any signs of wood worm or insect activity in your wood furniture, even if old and antique they may well wish to fumigate it unless you can prove it has been treated. 

Edited by rammygirl

7 hours ago, Aussiebird said:

These are the items of garden furniture we want to take, i hope they are acceptable. 

20180610_152415.jpg

As long as they're clean - I assume (maybe wrongly) that anything listed as garden will face a little extra scrutiny due to the possibility of having dirt/bugs on it

• Like 1