Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!


Permanent Resident Superannuation Refund

Recommended Posts


I'm currently debating a move back to the UK after a rather traumatic break up with my Australian partner. I understand that you can get a highly taxed refund on your superannuation as a temporary resident when you leave Australia, but is there any way you can get hold of you super if you are a permanent resident and don't intend to return to Oz? Without claiming financial hardship. Has anybody done this?

Thank you

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sorry to hear about your breakup. 

No, I'm afraid there's no way to get your superannuation refunded.  You will have to leave it in the fund until you reach retirement age.    Make sure you write to the fund and notify them of your UK address, and also tell them to cancel all insurances, since they probably won't be valid overseas anyway.   

  • Like 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now