Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

jbeeaar

URGENT! Student visa - BVB - 485 visa

Recommended Posts

Hey there! I would really love some clarification on a couple things please.. have a tricky situation and next to no straight answers 🙏😅

My partner is in Australia on a Philippines passport currently on his student 500 visa which expires on the 15th of March.. and allows travel.

We are intending on extending his stay in Australia with the post graduate 485 visa after this..

HOWEVER, before he planned on applying for the 485 visa we booked a holiday to Bali for two weeks which he was then intending on going home.. things have now changed and we have a bit of tricky navigation to get there first.. 


His visa expires the 15th of March, we intend to leave for Bali the 13th of March BUT his course doesn't finish until the 10th of March meaning we cannot apply for the 485 visa and bridging visa B until successful course completion.. this gives us a tiny 3 day window between visa application submission and a 5 day window between submission and visa expiry..


My main question is, can he leave the country on his student visa and then have the bridging visa approved while in Bali or should we wait and change travel arrangements until bvb is all approved? If anyone knows how the system generally works that would be amazing!! 

Thankyou! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, jbeeaar said:

My main question is, can he leave the country on his student visa and then have the bridging visa approved while in Bali

No, he can't. You should sort out the application and get the BVB in place and in effect before travelling.

  • Like 1

____________________________________________________________________

Paul Hand

Registered Migration Agent, MARN 1801974

SunCoast Migration Ltd

All comments are general in nature and do not constitute legal or migration advice. Comments may not be applicable or appropriate to your specific situation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, paulhand said:

No, he can't. You should sort out the application and get the BVB in place and in effect before travelling.

Thankyou so much for your response! 

Just as I thought, I'm guessing because we are cutting it so close I'm guessing we are running at a risk of the bvb not being approved in time.. is it likely that the bvb will be approved before our travel date? 

Sorry not sure how the system works! 

Thankyou 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will he even have the course completion certificate before his student visa expires?  I'd suggest he speak with a registered migration agent to sort out the 485, and to delay any travel plans until he's got his visa and bridging visas sorted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MaggieMay24 said:

Will he even have the course completion certificate before his student visa expires?  I'd suggest he speak with a registered migration agent to sort out the 485, and to delay any travel plans until he's got his visa and bridging visas sorted.

Yes he will, it's due on the 12th.. we have a letter from the University specifying his course completion date of the 10th of March and will upload that and results once they're released on the 10th when we first submit the application and then upload the completion certificate in the following days.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, jbeeaar said:

Yes he will, it's due on the 12th.. we have a letter from the University specifying his course completion date of the 10th of March and will upload that and results once they're released on the 10th when we first submit the application and then upload the completion certificate in the following days.. 

@jbeeaar With that said it means that the bridging visa won't be able to be looked at until at soonest the 12th (when the certificate is uploaded). 

Sounds like you going to need to change travel plans - rather safe than sorry. 

- I'd also suggest you follow @MaggieMay24 's advise and seek professional advise if still concerned. 


Occupation: Developer Programmer
Birth Country: SA (South Africa)
Stream: 457 > 186 TRT > Citizenship 
Number of applicants: 4 (wife + 2 children: age 1 and 3)
Visa and Nomination applied:  January 9th 2018
Nomination approved: 8th October 2018
Visa Granted: 12 November 2018

IMMI Status: Finalized (granted)

Citizenship application: 1st January 2020 
Invitation: TBC
Test Date: TBC
Approval: TBC
Ceremony: TBC

***Disclaimer***  I'm not a migration agent. When in doubt, seek advice from a professional.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Hex said:

@jbeeaar With that said it means that the bridging visa won't be able to be looked at until at soonest the 12th (when the certificate is uploaded). 

Sounds like you going to need to change travel plans - rather safe than sorry. 

- I'd also suggest you follow @MaggieMay24 's advise and seek professional advise if still concerned. 

Oh really? The completion certificate needs to be provided before a bridging visa can be assessed? That's news and very helpful information.. thankyou 

Will definitely be seeking professional advice!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, paulhand said:

No, he can't. You should sort out the application and get the BVB in place and in effect before travelling.

Are you able to confirm what Hex said for me? 

'With that said it means that the bridging visa won't be able to be looked at until at soonest the 12th (when the certificate is uploaded). 

Please and thankyou 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, jbeeaar said:

Are you able to confirm what Hex said for me? 

'With that said it means that the bridging visa won't be able to be looked at until at soonest the 12th (when the certificate is uploaded). 

Please and thankyou 

If you make a valid application you will be granted a BVA, generally automatically, but this can go wrong. You cannot guarantee that a BVB will be issued within a couple of days after that. As already advised, your timeline is too tight to give you any assurances. If you want to ensure your 485 is done properly a) don’t rush it and b) get some professional help. 


____________________________________________________________________

Paul Hand

Registered Migration Agent, MARN 1801974

SunCoast Migration Ltd

All comments are general in nature and do not constitute legal or migration advice. Comments may not be applicable or appropriate to your specific situation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes we understand that is the case, does the completion certificate have to be uploaded at the time for the bvb to be approved? Completion certificate is due within 48hours from course completion 

Thankyou 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you also may need a skills assessment as per immi website:

 

You must

  • be under 50 years of age
  • have a qualification relevant to an occupation on the skilled occupation list
  • be assessed as having skills suitable for an occupation on the skilled occupation list

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/temporary-graduate-485/graduate-work

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Considering the current refusal rate of subclass 485 visas, I would recommend that you focus on the lodgement of the subclass 485 visa, to make sure you meet all of the time of lodgement requirements. 

Don't risk your 485 for a holiday, as you may only get one shot to do it properly.


Raul T Senise

Registered Migration Agent

MARN 0636699

www.ozimmigration.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I average about one stuffed up DIY 485 enquiry a month. Many 485 applicants, having been granted a student visa and come to believe they are visa application experts, cannot bring themselves to take professional advice.  


Westly Russell Registered Migration Agent 0316072 www.pinoyau.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×