URGENT! Student visa - BVB - 485 visa

jbeeaar

Hey there! I would really love some clarification on a couple things please.. have a tricky situation and next to no straight answers 🙏😅

My partner is in Australia on a Philippines passport currently on his student 500 visa which expires on the 15th of March.. and allows travel.

We are intending on extending his stay in Australia with the post graduate 485 visa after this..

HOWEVER, before he planned on applying for the 485 visa we booked a holiday to Bali for two weeks which he was then intending on going home.. things have now changed and we have a bit of tricky navigation to get there first.. 

His visa expires the 15th of March, we intend to leave for Bali the 13th of March BUT his course doesn't finish until the 10th of March meaning we cannot apply for the 485 visa and bridging visa B until successful course completion.. this gives us a tiny 3 day window between visa application submission and a 5 day window between submission and visa expiry..

My main question is, can he leave the country on his student visa and then have the bridging visa approved while in Bali or should we wait and change travel arrangements until bvb is all approved? If anyone knows how the system generally works that would be amazing!! 

Thankyou! 

11 minutes ago, paulhand said:

No, he can't. You should sort out the application and get the BVB in place and in effect before travelling.

Thankyou so much for your response! 

Just as I thought, I'm guessing because we are cutting it so close I'm guessing we are running at a risk of the bvb not being approved in time.. is it likely that the bvb will be approved before our travel date? 

Sorry not sure how the system works! 

Thankyou 

2 minutes ago, MaggieMay24 said:

Will he even have the course completion certificate before his student visa expires?  I'd suggest he speak with a registered migration agent to sort out the 485, and to delay any travel plans until he's got his visa and bridging visas sorted.

Yes he will, it's due on the 12th.. we have a letter from the University specifying his course completion date of the 10th of March and will upload that and results once they're released on the 10th when we first submit the application and then upload the completion certificate in the following days.. 

45 minutes ago, jbeeaar said:

Yes he will, it's due on the 12th.. we have a letter from the University specifying his course completion date of the 10th of March and will upload that and results once they're released on the 10th when we first submit the application and then upload the completion certificate in the following days.. 

@jbeeaar With that said it means that the bridging visa won't be able to be looked at until at soonest the 12th (when the certificate is uploaded). 

Sounds like you going to need to change travel plans - rather safe than sorry. 

- I'd also suggest you follow @MaggieMay24 's advise and seek professional advise if still concerned. 

11 minutes ago, Hex said:

@jbeeaar With that said it means that the bridging visa won't be able to be looked at until at soonest the 12th (when the certificate is uploaded). 

Sounds like you going to need to change travel plans - rather safe than sorry. 

- I'd also suggest you follow @MaggieMay24 's advise and seek professional advise if still concerned. 

Oh really? The completion certificate needs to be provided before a bridging visa can be assessed? That's news and very helpful information.. thankyou 

Will definitely be seeking professional advice!

8 hours ago, paulhand said:

No, he can't. You should sort out the application and get the BVB in place and in effect before travelling.

Are you able to confirm what Hex said for me? 

'With that said it means that the bridging visa won't be able to be looked at until at soonest the 12th (when the certificate is uploaded). 

Please and thankyou 

12 minutes ago, jbeeaar said:

Are you able to confirm what Hex said for me? 

'With that said it means that the bridging visa won't be able to be looked at until at soonest the 12th (when the certificate is uploaded). 

Please and thankyou 

If you make a valid application you will be granted a BVA, generally automatically, but this can go wrong. You cannot guarantee that a BVB will be issued within a couple of days after that. As already advised, your timeline is too tight to give you any assurances. If you want to ensure your 485 is done properly a) don’t rush it and b) get some professional help. 

I think you also may need a skills assessment as per immi website:

You must

• be under 50 years of age
  • have a qualification relevant to an occupation on the skilled occupation list
  • be assessed as having skills suitable for an occupation on the skilled occupation list

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/temporary-graduate-485/graduate-work