Over 60s Immigration

Kaleem

Hi All,

I am not sure if this is the right forum but throwing it out there.

My uncle and his wife want to move to Australia. Both are french nationals, near their 60s and they want to move to Tasmania after retirement so they will be above 60 by then. I am pretty sure that they will not qualify for skilled migration at all but was wondering if there is any option available for them. Are there any visas available where they can immigrate to Australia after retirement. 

Thank you

@ramot and her husband retired to Australia  ..............  maybe round about the 60 year old mark but she will be able to confirm this.  I don't think it's easy to do so and I have no experience at all about visas etc for retirement but someone on PIO will have the info you require.

4 minutes ago, Toots said:

@ramot and her husband retired to Australia  ..............  maybe round about the 60 year old mark but she will be able to confirm this.  I don't think it's easy to do so and I have no experience at all about visas etc for retirement but someone on PIO will have the info you require.

That was on an old visa that's no longer available.  I don't know of any visas for someone over 60 with no children in Australia.  There are investor visas but I believe you need a mind-blowing amount of money.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Marisawright said:

That was on an old visa that's no longer available.  I don't know of any visas for someone over 60 with no children in Australia.  There are investor visas but I believe you need a mind-blowing amount of money.

Sounds as though it will be just about impossible unless wealthy.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Toots said:

Yes we were on the old 410 long term retirement visa that was stopped in 2005 for new applicants, a new very expensive 405 retirement visa was then in place, but has also been stopped for new applicants.So to the best of my knowledge no retirement visa available at all now.

• Like 1

I don’t think there’s any such visa. For people with adult children living in Australia there’s the parent visa which costs an eye watering $43k per adult. There are currently nearly 50 thousand waiting in that queue prepared to pay.  That alone would tell me there’s no options for people past the skilled visa age otherwise that expensive, long queue wouldn’t exist. It does because there’s no other route for older people. I believe there is an investment visa but that is for the very rich. Not sure of figures but I think we’re talking about millions. 

Edited by Tulip1

Only the significant investor visa in reality, as investor visa requires you to be under 55 (unless your entrepreneurial skills tempt a state to sponsor you).

Significant investor requires a minimum of $5 million invested in a range of new business and emerging Australian markets.

There are longer stay visas that allow 12 month or 6 month stays but they would not be PR.  I do know someone who built a holiday home here and came for 5 months a year, renting it out when they were back in the UK. I think this is still possible under FIRB rules (though more costly now).  Eventually they found the travel too much and sold the house.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Toots said:

@Kaleem How's life treating you in Devonport?   Has your new baby arrived yet?

@Toots life is going good. We have met a lot of families here and made good friends. Davenport has turned out to be much better than we thought. 

Unfortunately we had a miscarriage with last pregnancy. But Mrs is expecting again so hopefully it all goes ok this time

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kaleem said:

@Toots life is going good. We have met a lot of families here and made good friends. Davenport has turned out to be much better than we thought. 

Unfortunately we had a miscarriage with last pregnancy. But Mrs is expecting again so hopefully it all goes ok this time

I am so sorry to hear about the miscarriage!  

Good luck!

• Like 1