Hello Again...

belter

Hello Again Friends,

I am here because I am coming back to Australia having returned to the UK 8 years ago from Australia (originally from the UK in the first place). I have Australian citizenship so everything should be fine or timeline is about 2 years 4 months because we need to save money. We are thinking of going to Brisbane, we used to live on the Gold Coast, we are wondering if anyone knows where is good to live that is not too expensive but nice, close to schools and has a westfield as well as other amenities.

Thanks,

B x

• Like 1

Check out realestate.com.au for house prices as they've gone up a lot since you were here last.

Also check out this site for reviews of suburbs:

https://www.homely.com.au/search/suburbs-in-brisbane-queensland

I assume your partner and kids had PR?   Remember you will need to apply for a RRV for them in good time, when you're ready to move.  It can take longer than usual for the RRV to be processed, because they're so long past the date when they'd get one automatically.   They will need to demonstrate "strong ties to Australia",  but you being a citizen would count towards that.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, belter said:

I am citizen, oldest daughter is citizen of Australia husband is kiwi was going to bring youngest girl in on citizenship by descent 

So she was born after you became a citizen?  All good then - you might as well get her citizenship sorted out now so you know it's done.  Good luck with the move

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, belter said:

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Thanks. So you have done what I did but only came back for a year? 

Yes but it's not likely our cases are comparable.  I had never felt homesick for the UK ever, in all my 30+ years in Oz.  We were almost at retirement age, with no family left in Australia, and my husband is a history buff - he dreamed of spending his retirement visiting the historical sites of Europe.  it just seemed to make sense to base ourselves in the UK rather than fly from Australia for holidays.

I think it's very, very, VERY important, if you're contemplating a move back, for both of you to sit down and document the reasons why you left Australia.  As the years go by, the bad memories fade and the good ones get more rosy - and that leads to thoughts like, "It wasn't that bad", or "maybe I didn't try hard enough". 

That's certainly true in my case.  Four years down the track, my husband still talks wistfully of travelling in Europe and I feel guilty for dragging him back to Oz. I start remembering the good times we had, and I start thinking "maybe I could have stuck it out for another year", "maybe if we'd moved to another city it would've been better".    It's actually hard for me to remember any bad things about our time there!   

But there is one memory that I will never forget.  I remember waking up one night and thinking it would be easier if I just jumped off the balcony.   It was only for a split second, but up till that point, I had never been depressed or suicidal in my life, so it was a terrifying moment and made me realise I needed to get out of there.   

Like I said, that memory tells me how miserable I was in England but all the other bad memories have faded - so in an odd way, I'm glad I had that awful moment, because it stops me being silly enough to suggest trying again.  

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, belter said:

Hello Again Friends,

I am here because I am coming back to Australia having returned to the UK 8 years ago from Australia (originally from the UK in the first place). I have Australian citizenship so everything should be fine or timeline is about 2 years 4 months because we need to save money. We are thinking of going to Brisbane, we used to live on the Gold Coast, we are wondering if anyone knows where is good to live that is not too expensive but nice, close to schools and has a westfield as well as other amenities.

Thanks,

B x

Hi B 

Lots of Brisbane areas are booming at the minute and there is some very reasonable priced property had if your willing to be out of the city catchment, especially new builds. There are a couple of masterplan cities being constructed too so they would have most things that are on your tick list.

Do you know where abouts you would be working? We can maybe throw some suburb ideas at you if we can narrow down your search a bit.

Cal x

• Like 1

5 hours ago, belter said:

Hello Again Friends,

Thanks,

B x

Are you a fan of the The Expanse by any chance beltalowda?

I can vouch for Wynnum/Manly/Lota being very family friendly.

Rent is around the $450pw for a 3 bed property.

You can still buy something on a 400-500sqm plot for less than $500k.

• Like 1

Guest The Pom Queen

If you are happy being 40 minutes out of the City you can get a brand new 4 bed house on an acre for $349k and a choice of around 5 Westfields.  If you go 60 minutes out you can buy established 4-6 bed houses on acreage between 50-100acres for around $500 - $600k