Overseas police checks for citizenship

Wooba

Hello,

We both got 189 visas in Dec 2015. We entered Australia in Feb 2016 for 2 weeks. We returned to Canada until Nov 2016 and have been in Australia since, but we have taken holidays. 

I was initially relieved to see that we wouldn't need police checks in Canada since the time we've been out of Australia since Feb 2016 has been less than one year. But I read again and think I'm wrong and that the time period of 1 year actually starts from the issue date of the visa. Am I reading this correctly? 

Thanks

Edited by Wooba

Not sure if this is helps but we validated our visas and were out of Aus for 15 months after that before we made the move, so we are required to obtain them. So from this I think it is from the validation date. We didn't obtain them when we submitted our application. We've had our test today and we've been asked to now provide them. So you could submit your application and then they will request it if you need one. Our application was processed really quickly, only 3 months from submission to test date. We are in WA so I don't know if processing times are quicker here at present. Hope this may help! 

For citizenship I’m pretty sure it is since becoming PR.  Makes sense as they have checks at that point so just any additional time in other countries since then.  
I would apply for the checks, it should prompt you to add them for evidence when you complete the travel dates as part of the application.