register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

hollygolucky

Can't believe it!

Hello folks,

I'm a doctor, and I have a brother in Sydney. I've visited him twice now, most recently over Xmas. I decided I would try and apply for a job on my return, thinking I would never get anything in Sydney.

Well... I've been offered a position. To start in May! The employer has said they "manage the process of getting you a visa and registration" but can I really expect it to be as quick as three months??

I will be sent my contract next week. There's fifteen possible locations where I could be working, 12 of which are in northern sydney. Then there's three other rural locations - Orange, Broken Hill, and and Dubbo.

I am so ready for a change in life that I've thought I'd accept the offer even if they give me a rural location. I'm not sure if I'm being rash though!

Thanks for reading this ranting post :)

• Like 1
  • Congratulations 2

Yes, it can be quick, because it's a temporary visa (a 482).   I have no idea how registration works - I'd have thought that would take longer, but if the employer has done it before, I assume they know what they're doing.

It is only temporary, for 2 to 4 years, but the contract can be renewed.  

I'm sure your brother will tell you that Sydney is a very expensive place to live due to the extortionate price of housing (to rent or buy).  From the places you mention, I would pick Orange like a shot.  It's a lovely country town which has become a real "foodie" destination.  Sydneysiders head up there on weekends to visit the wineries, so I'm sure your brother would be pleased to see you settled there - free board for him!      

Dubbo and Broken Hill are more challenging - very hot, very dusty, and a long way from anywhere. If it's just two years then it would be worth it for the experience.

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

21 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Yes, it can be quick, because it's a temporary visa (a 482).   I have no idea how registration works - I'd have thought that would take longer, but if the employer has done it before, I assume they know what they're doing.

I'm sure your brother will tell you that Sydney is a very expensive place to live due to the extortionate price of housing (to rent or buy).  From the places you mention, I would pick Orange like a shot.  It's a lovely country town which has become a real "foodie" destination.  Sydneysiders head up there on weekends to visit the wineries, so I'm sure your brother would be pleased to see you settled there - free board for him!      

Dubbo and Broken Hill are more challenging - very hot, very dusty, and a long way from anywhere. If it's just two years then it would be worth it for the experience.

I would too.

Yes i agree with previous responses about the rural locations Orange would be the best one out of them all.

On 14/02/2020 at 23:42, Marisawright said:

I agree Sydney is expensive but the person asking is a Doctor so I imagine the cost won't be as much of a limiting factor as it usually is

• Like 1

Orange is trendy and booming.