You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

ali

CTF - what's the solution

This section of the forum has become increasingly difficult to moderate due.  Requests for members to refrain from insulting behaviours have been ignored.

I know people have expressed unhappiness with moderation and speaking on behalf of @calNgary and I, it's become a very time consuming and an often unpleasant task.

I have asked admin to review this forum (Kate is in hospital at the moment) so it won't be done immediately.

If you have sensible suggestions on how the issue can be resolved, we're eager to hear them.

• Like 1

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

17 minutes ago, ali said:

This section of the forum has become increasingly difficult to moderate due.  Requests for members to refrain from insulting behaviours have been ignored.

I know people have expressed unhappiness with moderation and speaking on behalf of @calNgary and I, it's become a very time consuming and an often unpleasant task.

I have asked admin to review this forum (Kate is in hospital at the moment) so it won't be done immediately.

If you have sensible suggestions on how the issue can be resolved, we're eager to hear them.

Longer bans?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, simmo said:

Longer bans?

Thanks Simmo - people have in the past when banned joined up using another name - don't know if this would make a big difference.

• Haha 2

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

why not just let us carry on they way we are , most people that use CTF are strong minded and have a great sense of humour …...we should all know how far is too far by now , so lets just use common sense and carry on enjoying the banter ….

why not let Simmo become a moderator , hes got a good head on him ….

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Voted Best Newcomer 2010 by PIO Members.......Thank you....x

Ali, I think you and the other mods have a thankless task. I hardly bother with CTF these days, as it appears to have been taken over by a small group of posters, who dominate thread after thread, who seem to be of the opinion that their views on just about everything are the only views that everyone must agree with, except they can’t agree with each other’s views, so resort to insulting each other.We have left wing posters spouting their ideology at us telling us how we should be living our lives, contradicted by right wing posters. Quite frankly I’m sick of the lot of them.

I am amazed that there are so many experts on CTF , who have the most amazing knowledge on almost every subject known to man. I wonder what background of success in their lives they have had to make them so clever?  The only time they seem to gang up together is if a new poster has the temerity to post an opinion, outsiders aren’t welcome to this group.

No answers, except perhaps let them have their own political forum and opt out of CTF, so it might return to the light hearted fun with some serious subjects discussed rationally that it used to be. Some of us over the years felt connected and when needed, were supportive of each other, we have lost so many interesting posters, who actually had something of interest to post. 

Edited by ramot
  • Like 6

44 minutes ago, tonyman said:

why not just let us carry on they way we are , most people that use CTF are strong minded and have a great sense of humour …...we should all know how far is too far by now , so lets just use common sense and carry on enjoying the banter ….

why not let Simmo become a moderator , hes got a good head on him ….

You are kidding, right?

Simmo is 90% of the problem (with a handful of others).

Constantly starting trolling and subliminally racist threads.

You have to ask the ?  What is the purpose of the site?  I thought it was for migrants/potential migtants to Australia

Close CTF IMO.  It adds 0 value to an otherwise ok site.  The CTF threads actually show the site in a very bad light and diminishes any credibility the other threads have.

It is dominanted by Dad's army posters who are largely based in the UK and have nothing to do with Australia.  They add no value to the main threads at all and are just interested in shit stirring.

I'd love to know how many migrants (with good practical knowledge about Australia) have walked away from this site, I know of a few in Perth.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ramot, its just a chat forum and good banter , those that have been around for many years enjoy this , we are not bad people , we are actually really nice people , you guys should know that by now …...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, tonyman said:

Ramot, its just a chat forum and good banter , those that have been around for many years enjoy this , we are not bad people , we are actually really nice people , you guys should know that by now …...

Actually tonyman it is a problem - hence the post asking for sensible solutions. 

6 minutes ago, tonyman said:

I have been around probably longer than most, and seriously that’s what it used to be, I don’t think it  is good banter these days. 

Edited by ramot
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Collie said:

You are kidding, right?

You have to ask the ?  What is the purpose of the site?  I thought it was for migrants/potential migtants to Australia

Close CTF IMO.  It adds 0 value to an otherwise ok site.  The CTF threads actually show the site in a very bad light and diminishes any credibility the other threads have.

It is dominanted by Dad's army posters who are largely based in the UK and have nothing to do with Australia.  They add no value to the main threads at all and are just interested in shit stirring.

I'd love to know how many migrants (with good practical knowledge about Australia) have walked away from this site, I know of a few in Perth.

No im not ……...its a bit of light hearted fun that people can choose to join in or ignore , that's there choice …...again , we are not bad people , in fact if you doubters met us you would all be pleasantly surprised how nice and caring we actually are , trust me on that …...ive met lots of people on the site , Kate included and she will vouch for me for sure ….again , people have the choice , don't ruin a good banter slot on this site  , these guys have been together for many years …..

19 minutes ago, ali said:

Actually tonyman it is a problem - hence the post asking for sensible solutions. 

ok, what is the biggest problem ?

its been going on for years , every site has this ….

• Like 1

I have to agree with tonyman. I’m sure most on here are nice people who love a bit of banter. Sure it sometimes goes below the belt but it’s a forum for grown ups, people have different opinions and some like to stir a little.  I for one often laugh at some of the sarcasm, dry humour, slightly rude comments and the ‘bickering’ that goes on.  If I didn’t like that sort of thing I wouldn’t click on the CTF link, it’s that simple.  It would be a shame for it to close. That said, I appreciate the lengthy task you have sorting through it all.  Do you have to check everything? Could you not just cherry pick the odd things? Are people reporting a lot of things that’s causing extra work for you to look into?  I’m not really sure what the answer is and how to help, sorry 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ali said:

I used to use Australian property forum. (Now that place has some trolls. Makes CTF look like play school)

They had the actual forum, and then they had a lounge forum, which was similar to CTF.

If CTF was moved into a sub forum, which you had to switch to, then it could be kept separate from the migration stuff.

Any threads started in the migration thread which went bad could be moved to CTF.

Most people on here just search on activity. So, you wouldn't see ctf threads unless you were on CTF.

Allow people to report any hate crime stuff on CTF, but let people banter with each other.

• Like 4

some people make it an issue ……….the only thing that has bothered me about CTF  in all these years is some of the shit I have posted and the morning after I feel embarrassed ect ….

• Like 2

Just close it, I can barely be bothered when anything I post is vilified as left wing PCness, when all that I ask is that people remember they are talking about humanity and not to simply denigrate any opinion contrary to their very personal view of the world, why do I constantly have to defend a viewpoint which makes the individual important,

Everybody just says they just want banter, why does that seem to always be around issues of race and sexuality, why does it always include a reference to my supposed extreme left views when in actual fact all I'm asking is for people to respect others humanity and frailties and is it so impossible for other posters on here to realise that their views are often quite objectionable and consider that others might have much more liberal views without wanting always to deride those views.

Some just want a CTF to be a joke shop where they can post any old rubbish they find funny at who evers expense, well not all of us find it excruciatingly funny, but if that is the kind of site you want then go for it and give the would be migrants an insight into the insensitivity of some sectors of Australian society..

Having just looked at a post I made and seeing laughing faces given in response to perfectly reasonable comments I wonder whether we will see those who constantly use them and indulge in s..t stirring nastiness actually bother to respond to this thread and explain what contribution they will make to make it a pleasanter experience for all.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Having just looked at a post I made and seeing laughing faces given in response to perfectly reasonable comments I wonder whether we will see those who constantly use them and indulge in s..t stirring nastiness actually bother to respond to this thread and explain what contribution they will make to make it a pleasanter experience for all.
OK what ever, just close CTF..... If it makes u happy
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, tonyman said:

ok, what is the biggest problem ?

its been going on for years , every site has this ….

Hey Tony,

It's far past banter.

It's 2-3 posters who are the persistent offenders.

Have a quick glance at the Brexit thread to see the extreme nationalism.

One poster repeatedly insinuates that I & everybody Irish are all terrorists and hate all English people.  That's not banter, it's hate speach. 

• Like 1

remove the report button form CTF then the whingers won't be able to bother the mods.  I agree with @newjez this is not anywhere as bad as most forums.  You should go on musnet at wine o'clock !!!!

Some people just want a serile world where no one is exposed to differing opinions or views that challenge their world view.  

I appeal to the mods and admin! please don't let the dog wag the tail and let the legendary CTF become a victim of woke victimhood and faux outrage.

Just had an idea.!!!  why dont you have an RDO? the last friday (or monday) of every month shut CTF down for 24 hours?  It will give the mods a break and the trolls/whingers time to reflect.

yes that!!! 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

Just close it, I can barely be bothered when anything I post is vilified as left wing PCness, when all that I ask is that people remember they are talking about humanity and not to simply denigrate any opinion contrary to their very personal view of the world, why do I constantly have to defend a viewpoint which makes the individual important,

Everybody just says they just want banter, why does that seem to always be around issues of race and sexuality, why does it always include a reference to my supposed extreme left views when in actual fact all I'm asking is for people to respect others humanity and frailties and is it so impossible for other posters on here to realise that their views are often quite objectionable and consider that others might have much more liberal views without wanting always to deride those views.

Some just want a CTF to be a joke shop where they can post any old rubbish they find funny at who evers expense, well not all of us find it excruciatingly funny, but if that is the kind of site you want then go for it and give the would be migrants an insight into the insensitivity of some sectors of Australian society..

serious question.  Why do you come on here?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, simmo said:

serious question.  Why do you come on here?

Why do you?

You add 0 value to the main purpose of the site, have nothing to do with Australia and can provide no help to migrants/potential migrants.

Actually, your threads and posts diminish the credibility of the site.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Collie said:

You are kidding, right?

you see your post is a classic example of a personal attack the type i get daily - i very rarely feel the need to report or moan about it though.   There are 30 other great forums on PIO that do a great job in helping migrants to AND FROM australia.  You don't have to come on CTF but you chose to (NO ONE MAKES YOU).  The description of CTF is very clear, it should be no shock to anyone what is inside.

Lighten up and enjoy.

• Like 6

I don't use the site that much......I have spells when I am on it constantly and then I put it down for a few weeks or months......I think you all need to be aware that any action provokes a reaction.....you all know this and attempts to claim the moral high ground are just laughable to say the least......the best form of censorship is the on/off button.....if you don't like it then don't read it.....thats not that difficult to grasp......it never helps the cause tho when certain posters seem to think they are more intelligent than anyone else and therefore their view carries more weight......the constant labelling that has been present on the forum for the past 3 years.....thick....racist.....nationalist.....misogynist.....I suppose if others were more open to alternative opinions then maybe they would not be so quick to label......its just sh@t stirring......everyone's guilty so please spare us the sob story hate speech rubbish......incidentally.....you spelt speach  wrong......having been corrected and ridiculed so many times over the years by the grammar policeman......the irony is not lost on me......

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Collie said:

Why do you?

You add 0 value to the main purpose of the site, have nothing to do with Australia and can provide no help to migrants/potential migrants.

Actually, your threads and posts diminish the credibility of the site.

I don't profess to "add purpose" to anything and if i did i wouldn't do it on CTF. 

are you for real?

• Like 3

The sad thing is that it is obvious where this will end up.  I find it very sad that it has come to this.  Not just PIO but in general.  People think they have a god given right not to be offended or have their views challenged.   I despair at the way the world turned out like this - they have won 😞  This forum will be closed and the perpetually offended can go back to their world of bland and make themselves a nice cup of camomile tea in celebration.  Woop woop!! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2