491 visa

Forry84

Really! I can't say I am not a little disappointed!

I have been told by my migration agent on average 18 months and even at that I was thinking damn that's too long to wait I want to go yesterday! 🙂

But hopefully that time fly's in. So do you reckon the more points you have the quicker you might get invited?

Thanks for your reply.

3 minutes ago, Forry84 said:

Really! I can't say I am not a little disappointed!

I have been told by my migration agent on average 18 months and even at that I was thinking damn that's too long to wait I want to go yesterday! 🙂

But hopefully that time fly's in. So do you reckon the more points you have the quicker you might get invited?

Thanks for your reply.

Possibly, but there are way more spaces on the skilled state nominated quotas than the family nominated quota so if you can up your points you may be better applying for a skilled nomination in your own right without the family additions (unless the 491 works very differently to the old 489)

18 hours ago, Forry84 said:

Hi folks,

I have just started my visa application process 491 via the family sponsor stream.

I know this is a new visa type but does anyone have a relatively rough estimate on the processing times?

Thanks,

Forry

Have you been invited and lodged a visa application or have you only submitted your  Expression of Interest?

2 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

Possibly, but there are way more spaces on the skilled state nominated quotas than the family nominated quota so if you can up your points you may be better applying for a skilled nomination in your own right without the family additions (unless the 491 works very differently to the old 489)

Yeah I couldn't get a state nomination as I couldn't fulfill the criteria for the state I wish to live in unfortunately and I don't quite have enough points (80) to be invited for a skilled independent visa.

Looks like it's going to be a long wait!

In your shoes, I would be looking at other options rather than just waiting patiently.  People talk about a "queue" but it's not a queue where you just have to wait till it's your turn.  It's a competition.  Immigration cherry-picks the best candidates and ignores the rest.   So it is very possible to languish in the queue forever, if more qualified candidates keep coming in behind you. 

I can understand that you don't want to live in another state because you want to be near family - but at least being in another state is closer than where you are now.

Edited by Marisawright

16 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

In your shoes, I would be looking at other options rather than just waiting patiently.  People talk about a "queue" but it's not a queue where you just have to wait till it's your turn.  It's a competition.  Immigration cherry-picks the best candidates and ignores the rest.   So it is very possible to languish in the queue forever, if more qualified candidates keep coming in behind you. 

I can understand that you don't want to live in another state because you want to be near family - but at least being in another state is closer than where you are now.

Yeah I could take another state sponsorship but it seems so much hassle having to get the wife and kids all settled, make friends and find a job. Then think about moving again another three years down the line. 

It would be so much easier moving over where we have family, stay with them until we get on our feet etc.

I could also take a state sponsorship and move to where I wanted anyway! As it's not a legal requirement as some people have pointed out to me. But for me that doesn't sit well morally and I would rather do it properly and wait.

Thanks for your input. 

2 hours ago, Forry84 said:

Not even as far as that I am afraid! I have only just finished my skills assessment.

As it is a 491 under the family stream, you can make an educated guess based on previous invitation rounds. 

For the last published invitation round, for 491 family sponsored, you needed minimum score of at least 90 points to be invited. Invites were issued to candidates who had been in the queue since December 2019.

What is your score and when was your EOI lodged?

9 hours ago, Forry84 said:

Yeah I could take another state sponsorship but it seems so much hassle having to get the wife and kids all settled, make friends and find a job. Then think about moving again another three years down the line. 

It would be so much easier moving over where we have family, stay with them until we get on our feet etc.

I could also take a state sponsorship and move to where I wanted anyway! As it's not a legal requirement as some people have pointed out to me. But for me that doesn't sit well morally and I would rather do it properly and wait.

Thanks for your input. 

If you take a 491 state sponsorship it is a requirement you remain in a regional location.

It's only the 190 where location is a moral undertaking