Accountant- 457 to 186

Durgaji

I am general accountant, currently under 457 visa and completed 2 years with the employer and still working. My employer is willing to sponsor for 186 visa but unfortunately his annual turnover is less than 1 million. There is caveat for accountant that annual turnover should be over 1 million. But this caveat was not before and I was approved 457 visa without turnover of 1 million. So can you please recommend me if I am eligible to apply for 186? Thank you 

16 minutes ago, Durgaji said:

I am general accountant, currently under 457 visa and completed 2 years with the employer and still working. My employer is willing to sponsor for 186 visa but unfortunately his annual turnover is less than 1 million. There is caveat for accountant that annual turnover should be over 1 million. But this caveat was not before and I was approved 457 visa without turnover of 1 million. So can you please recommend me if I am eligible to apply for 186? Thank you 

Yes but it is before you apply for the 186. The 457 is a seperate visa. 
The way I see it is if you apply for the 186 you need to meet the rules that are in place now, not 3 or 4 years ago. Maybe that’s wrong but it wouldn’t make any sense to me. I’d check with a MA.

Yes well that’s a seperate issue.. the 186 has a high refusal rate. Employers would be well advised to use a MA, and research if they can meet all the requirements and costs beforehand. Just because they want to sponsor someone doesn’t mean they can. The business side is complex, far more complex than people on these forums make out at times. It’s not just a case of ‘we have a turnover of $x, so we meet the criteria’, there’s so much more to it than that. Be wary if you’re the first person they’re sponsoring too. They probably don’t really know what they’re getting into. 
You should seek a MA to represent your interests too, they need to be MARA registered. That’s important, don’t just use a lawyer or someone claiming to be an agent. Do your homework on someone first to maximise success, the same advise goes to the employer! If your employer uses a dodgy ‘agent’ it will more likely be refused and you won’t get your visa either. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/02/2020 at 14:57, Durgaji said:

Thanks for the reply. I checked with An MA and he said it should be fine with grandfathering provision, but my employer is not convinced with the amount of money he will have to spend for the process and if it will be success.

Hi there

the caveats does not apply for 186 TRT, ( it’s only apply for 186 direct entry or new 482 visa

So please do not miss this opportunity and follow the migration advice 

thanks

Sam Sydney

On 12/02/2020 at 14:14, Durgaji said:

It depends on your situation and when your 457 visa was lodged.

If you have a Maigration Agent, you should be guided by them as they are aware of all your spefici details.

• 1 month later...
On 12/02/2020 at 14:34, Wonderingaloud said:

Yes but it is before you apply for the 186. The 457 is a seperate visa. 
The way I see it is if you apply for the 186 you need to meet the rules that are in place now, not 3 or 4 years ago. Maybe that’s wrong but it wouldn’t make any sense to me. I’d check with a MA.

Regarding this application

186, TRT, accountant 

nomination applied - 24 Feb,2020

visa applied- 10 March 

Further documents requested- nominations- 26 May

only spouse evidence of English requested- main visa - 2 June

further documents submitted- nominations- June -6. 
Nomination approved- Today , 15 June

spouse evidence of English not submitted yet!

thanks 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey @Durgaji, firstly congratulations on your approval! Secondly, you did not have to serve three years at your current place of employment to get sponsored? 

I am currently in a very similar situation and have worked for the same employer for two and a half years. I would like to apply now if possible but have always thought that I would need to wait until the 3 year mark.

Thanks. 

Edited by 457 to 189