You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Sign in to follow this  
PeppaPom

251912: Orthotist or Prosthetist - even worth applying?

Hi,

I'm a Prosthetist working in the UK (12 years) and would like to move permanently to Oz. I can get a skills assessment no problem as well as an IELTS. My spouse is also in the correct age bracket and can get a skills assessment.

I already have family living in Australia (NSW) and I've stayed with them previously as a tourist. BUT I'm not considering a 491 family sponsored because it does not give me PR (I have children and I absolutely do not want the uncertainty of having to apply again in a few years time to stay in the country).

Looking at the recent invitation rounds it seems that you need 90 points minimum to be invited to apply for a 189. After doing a points calculation I can get a maximum of 85. So it seems there is no point applying for a 189 for anzsco 251912 with only 85 points. Even though this job/career will be very low on applicants.

This leaves me with 190 skilled nominated (which would push me to 90 points). However, having such a unique career seems to be a disadvantage as my role is not on the state skilled occupation lists which is confusing as it IS on the government SOL. I'm not sure how they have calculated it should be on the SOL when no states require it?

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Thank you

Firstly, I think you're misunderstanding the 491 visa.  It's a provisional visa, not a temporary one like the 482.  It's similar to being on probation when  you take a permanent job.  It's designed to force migrants to live and work outside the capital cities, and the hope is that by the time you apply for true permanency, you'll be so settled that you won't want to move to the city.  So unlike a temp visa, the government actually wants you to apply for permanency so there is a clear pathway to achieve it.  While no one can guarantee anything, it 's far more certain than a temp visa.

My understanding is that the 189 visa is meant to cover the main occupations in demand, and then the states can add extras on to their own lists if they feel the federal supply is not enough.  So the fact that states don't have it on their lists means nothing.  However if your occupation is not on a state list then I don't see how you can apply for  a state-sponsored visa.

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Marisa is correct on the 491 and it is likely to be the best, possibly only, route for you. Yes, you will need to comply with the requirements of the 491 before you can transition to a permanent visa, and there will be another application involved, but that then comes down to how much everyone wants to do this. 

Paul Hand

Registered Migration Agent, MARN 1801974

SunCoast Migration Ltd

All comments are general in nature and do not constitute legal or migration advice. Comments may not be applicable or appropriate to your specific situation. Any comments relate to legislation and policy at date of post.