Applying for child’s british passport.

Danny842003

I’m about to apply for my sons British passport. He’s 5 months old and was born here to an Australian mother. He already has his Aussie passport. 
When you upload the digital photo it has to be verified, I have a mate who is on the list (merchant navy) but he’s never met my son and with him being 5 months old and not ever travelling neither has anyone else. What do the passport office actually expect in this situation? 

I thought for a child passport the witness was for the adult applying on the child's behalf

Edit: from the gov website:

Who can sign your form and photo

Your countersignatory must:

• have known you (or the adult who signed the form if the passport is for a child under 16) for at least 2 years
  • be able to identify you, for example they’re a friend, neighbour or colleague (not just someone who knows you professionally)
  • be ‘a person of good standing in their community’ or work in (or be retired from) a recognised profession

Edited by welljock

7 hours ago, Danny842003 said:

I’m about to apply for my sons British passport. He’s 5 months old and was born here to an Australian mother. He already has his Aussie passport. 
When you upload the digital photo it has to be verified, I have a mate who is on the list (merchant navy) but he’s never met my son and with him being 5 months old and not ever travelling neither has anyone else. What do the passport office actually expect in this situation? 

I must have missed that. There didn’t seem to be a way to save the application and I had to cancel it when I realised I needed a marriage certificate for my parents, despite them being divorced for 30 years. I will have another look thanks. 

1 hour ago, simmo said:

We wanted to get our kids British passports but it would have cost about £1500 each!! In the end we got them Swedish ones for about £30 each.

Why? As far as I can tell they’re about £80 with postage. 

to answer my original post yes I as the parent applying verify the picture.