Applying for 190 as a nurse - does work experience with just a diploma of nursing count?

SusieBarten

Hi all,

My name is Susie and am hoping to move to Australia with my boyfriend James. I’m an occupational therapist and James is a registered nurse.

Our heart is really set on Melbourne and we  are hoping to get a 190 skilled VIC state nomination visa with James as the primary applicant. James has 9 years experience as a Registered Nurse in the UK, he has a diploma in nursing but currently doing a top up course course to bring this to a BSc which ends in May.

With 9 years experience as an RN James would have 85 + 5 points for 190 in VIC and meet the 2 year work experience requirement. (I can’t be the primary applicant as VIC requires 10 years experience for my occupation which I do not have).

BUT we are worried that James’s 9 years as a registered nurse will not be recognised before his BSc bridging course. This would reduce our points significantly and mean we would not be eligible for state nomination from Victoria as they require 2 years experience.

Has anyone been through this similar situation? I have been through a few threads, it seems that ANMAC will accept this experience but there is a chance that migration might not?

Thanks for your help!
Susie

51 minutes ago, SusieBarten said:

Thanks for your help guys - doesn’t sound good. That’s so frustrating as the top up course is just essay based and does not really reflect his experience as a working registered nurse! 

True, but its the essay bit that is different between the diploma and the degree, and without the essay he doesn't have a degree so would never qualify.

So it looks like he will need to work in the UK (or at least not Oz) for 2 years after getting awarded the BSc before you are eligible - note the degree is awarded from the conferment date not the result date, so it is the day he goes to the ceremony that is the award date - this is usually a few months later

1 hour ago, SusieBarten said:

Thanks for your help guys - doesn’t sound good. That’s so frustrating as the top up course is just essay based and does not really reflect his experience as a working registered nurse! 

Check out this link below. I know a few diploma trained nurses went down this route. Not sure if it's still relevant or if it can help with the visa process.

https://britishexpats.com/forum/nurses-doctors-other-medical-healthcare-occupations-72/nz-route-aphra-893924/

New Zealand doesn’t require nurses to have a degree to register, they look at experience and cpd etc. once registered in Nz the trans Tasman recognition for nurses allows him to register in Australia. I would post in the careers section of this forum for advice as well, as I’ve not heard before of experience points for nurses only be counted once you have your degree. That is for me and others I know who have migrated it was years experience as a qualified registered nurse in total that counted , whether that was pre degree or not wasn’t relevant.

11 hours ago, gaia said:

New Zealand doesn’t require nurses to have a degree to register, they look at experience and cpd etc. once registered in Nz the trans Tasman recognition for nurses allows him to register in Australia. I would post in the careers section of this forum for advice as well, as I’ve not heard before of experience points for nurses only be counted once you have your degree. That is for me and others I know who have migrated it was years experience as a qualified registered nurse in total that counted , whether that was pre degree or not wasn’t relevant.

That’s useful thank you! Can I ask when was that you and others you know migrated and on which visas? 

15 hours ago, gaia said:

I’ve not heard before of experience points for nurses only be counted once you have your degree. That is for me and others I know who have migrated it was years experience as a qualified registered nurse in total that counted , whether that was pre degree or not wasn’t relevant.

Unfortunately the rules change all the time. For most other professions, Immigration requires the experience to be post degree so I’d be surprised if nursing is any different. Also note that what is acceptable for registration and what’s acceptable for immigration are different, crazy z though that seems

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, SusieBarten said:

That’s useful thank you! Can I ask when was that you and others you know migrated and on which visas? 

If you'd bothered to read through the link above you'd have learnt a bit about others journey through the trans Tasman agreement.

But like I said, this is for your registration only, and is unlikely to help with the visa part.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DukeNinja said:

If you'd bothered to read through the link above you'd have learnt a bit about others journey through the trans Tasman agreement.

But like I said, this is for your registration only, and is unlikely to help with the visa part.

I agree with this- it will get you registered and you’ll do a modified skills assessment BUT you’ll probably still be asked for your qualification when it comes to applying for the visa. I was.

Even if ANMAC accept your application and you get a positive skills assessment the case officer allocated to your application could still refuse it on the grounds that you don’t hold a degree as required criteria listed under the ‘registered nurse’ occupation on the ANZCO. It doesn’t matter what the skills assessment says- immi have the final word. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi all

My wife is a diploma qualified nurse with over 15 years experience but only recently completed her degree when she became a sister. We are thinking of moving to Queensland on a 491. So I emailed Queensland immigration (BSMQ) and this was their reply:

Hi Dean

Any experience that was gained after receiving a qualification can be counted.

If she gets her skills assessment and AHPRA registration she would be fine.

Business and Skilled Migration Queensland

A division of Trade and Investment Queensland

Cheers

Dean

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, 2006deant said:

So I emailed Queensland immigration (BSMQ) and this was their reply:

Hi Dean

Any experience that was gained after receiving a qualification can be counted.

It must be noted that the visa application assessment is not done at the State level: BSMQ might well be nominating you, however is not them who process the visa. 

Found this posted by Richard Gregan who is a well known and reputable MA who posts on the forum. It’s from 2 years ago. 

Although ANMAC now require all applicants to have a degree, they will still count work experience post-diploma - as long as it led to registration.

e.g. your did a nursing diploma and got registered in 2008, and have worked as a nurse since then to present. You undertook further training last year and upgraded to a degree. ANMAC would still count your work experience from 2008 to present.

The tricky part is at immigration stage - immi tend only to count experience post-degree for degree level occupations. Even if ANMAC says your original diploma was 'equivalent to a bachelor degree', it is purely advisory, so immi might not accept it, meaning you run the risk of getting no work experience points, regardless of what ANMAC say.

Regards,

Richard

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DukeNinja said:

Thank you DukeNinja for that link. That’s interesting to know about transman agreement. I don’t think that’s a route we’ll need though as we can get the Aus registration/skills assessment as soon as he finishes the degree top up in April, it’s the experience not being recognised that’s the barrier!

10 hours ago, Wonderingaloud said:

Found this posted by Richard Gregan who is a well known and reputable MA who posts on the forum. It’s from 2 years ago. 

Although ANMAC now require all applicants to have a degree, they will still count work experience post-diploma - as long as it led to registration.

e.g. your did a nursing diploma and got registered in 2008, and have worked as a nurse since then to present. You undertook further training last year and upgraded to a degree. ANMAC would still count your work experience from 2008 to present.

The tricky part is at immigration stage - immi tend only to count experience post-degree for degree level occupations. Even if ANMAC says your original diploma was 'equivalent to a bachelor degree', it is purely advisory, so immi might not accept it, meaning you run the risk of getting no work experience points, regardless of what ANMAC say.

Regards,

Richard

Thank you Wonderingaloud, that makes sense. It’s so tricky as it sounds immigration could accept prior experience  but equally might not and it’s a very expensive risk to take!

3 hours ago, SusieBarten said:

Thank you Wonderingaloud, that makes sense. It’s so tricky as it sounds immigration could accept prior experience  but equally might not and it’s a very expensive risk to take!

I think it's worse than a case of "equally".   As Richard says, Immigration tend to require experience to be post-degree, which means they're MORE likely to reject than accept.

• 2 months later...

It looks as if he's going to want to paintings within the UK (or at the least no longer Oz) for 2 years once you have presented the BSc earlier than you're eligible - observe the diploma is offered from the conferment date not the end result date, so it's miles the day he is going to the rite that is the award date - this is mostly a few months later