189/190 Engineer Technologist also with Aus Girlfriend

Comlay90

First post here so hello all!  🖐️

I've basically joined to share my woes and hopefully gain some reassurance or useful knowledge whilst going through this process. I feel as if I am fast approaching a crossroads in my visa decision making so it will be good to talk it through with someone.

I'll make this into a short easy to read timeline of my journey so far -

Aug 2016 - Aug 2017  - Completed WHV (met gf in Jan 2017 and started dating)

Nov 2018 - Skills assessment approved after a long laborious process. EOI Lodged for Engineering Technologist 190 VIC - 65pts.

Jan 2019 - GF moves over to UK with 2 year WHV after over a year long distancing.

June 2019 - EOI lodged for Engineering Technologist 189 - 65pts  - Updated 190 VIC - 70pts (had to wait for 5years experience for these 5pts)

*Since Jan 2018 I have taken x4 IELTS/PTE exams where every time I have been 1-2 marks off Superior English. Example - Spkg 9.0 / Read 8.5 / Write 8.0 / List 7.5. (I have another booked 7th March.)

Current Stats - 29 years (30pts) / IELTS (10pts) / BSc degree (15pts) / 5-8yrs Overseas Experience (10pts) / Single or Citizen Partner (5pts)  = 65 or 65+5 190.

Obviously its imperative I gain those extra 10 available for the English exam asap but even so I think I'm in danger of not be granted anything before the year is up and she has to return as 75 or 75+5 doesn't seem to be cutting the mustard currently...

So...Option A is we move to NZ at the end of 2020 and I use my WHV whilst we wait for it to be granted. (but will be EOI's run out by then)?

Option B In conjunction with 'A' we turn to Partner Visa of some kind (marriage/proposal is a strong possibility irrespective of this visa situation)(shes waiting for a ring!). But still the processing times are ludicrous and who knows how that will go. Linked to this would a fiance 300 visa work for me to at least enter and be able to work with staying with her?

I will be discussing this with my agent of course but any opinions or advice would be most welcome. Cheers, Alistair.

You need to be using a registered migration agent. Your case is complex and needs proffessional help. Before you think that you don't want to pay for this, consider that it could be easy to either never get a visa, or get a refusal, which in turn can mean a ban on reapplying ( that can be automatic on many refusal criteria). 

There are a number of excellent agents who post and assist the forum.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Comlay90 said:

First post here so hello all!  🖐️

I've basically joined to share my woes and hopefully gain some reassurance or useful knowledge whilst going through this process. I feel as if I am fast approaching a crossroads in my visa decision making so it will be good to talk it through with someone.

I'll make this into a short easy to read timeline of my journey so far -

Aug 2016 - Aug 2017  - Completed WHV (met gf in Jan 2017 and started dating)

Nov 2018 - Skills assessment approved after a long laborious process. EOI Lodged for Engineering Technologist 190 VIC - 65pts.

Jan 2019 - GF moves over to UK with 2 year WHV after over a year long distancing.

June 2019 - EOI lodged for Engineering Technologist 189 - 65pts  - Updated 190 VIC - 70pts (had to wait for 5years experience for these 5pts)

*Since Jan 2018 I have taken x4 IELTS/PTE exams where every time I have been 1-2 marks off Superior English. Example - Spkg 9.0 / Read 8.5 / Write 8.0 / List 7.5. (I have another booked 7th March.)

Current Stats - 29 years (30pts) / IELTS (10pts) / BSc degree (15pts) / 5-8yrs Overseas Experience (10pts) / Single or Citizen Partner (5pts)  = 65 or 65+5 190.

Obviously its imperative I gain those extra 10 available for the English exam asap but even so I think I'm in danger of not be granted anything before the year is up and she has to return as 75 or 75+5 doesn't seem to be cutting the mustard currently...

So...Option A is we move to NZ at the end of 2020 and I use my WHV whilst we wait for it to be granted. (but will be EOI's run out by then)?

Option B In conjunction with 'A' we turn to Partner Visa of some kind (marriage/proposal is a strong possibility irrespective of this visa situation)(shes waiting for a ring!). But still the processing times are ludicrous and who knows how that will go. Linked to this would a fiance 300 visa work for me to at least enter and be able to work with staying with her?

I will be discussing this with my agent of course but any opinions or advice would be most welcome. Cheers, Alistair.

I would assume Vic is a very competitive state, as well as the 189/190 visas.

Have you thought about

1. Alternative visa options such as the 491

2. Alternative States?

3. Alternative language test?

Edited by DukeNinja
  • Like 2

Based on the basic information in your post:

Your points calculation appears incorrect.

189: little to no chance with 65 points;

190: low chance with such low points unless a State really needs your specific occupation and skill set. Most States are reducing 190 invites in preference of 491;

491: Worth researching and looking into;

Any of the points tested visas will be difficult as an invitation is never assured due to constantly evolving requirement.

Partner Visa: Expensive and long processing time. You can apply as long as you meet the requirements, no invite required.

• Like 2

As Raul says, you've got absolutely no chance of a 189 and not much hope of a 190, so take those off the table.    If he thinks it's worthwhile looking at the 491, then maybe have a consultation with him and see how you go.  

However in your shoes, I'd be going for a partner visa, especially if you're planning to get married soon.   Just be sure to consult an agent before you tie the knot.  There is a thing called a Prospective Marriage Visa, which allows you to move to Australia to get married.   Once married, you have to apply for the partner visa - but the point is, at least you're in Australia and able to get settled and work while you wait for the partner visa to come through.  

It's far from being the cheapest option but it is the most dependable.

• Like 2

Thank you guys for replying appreciate it.

@VERYSTORMY Cheers, but that worries me, you speaking of refusal? Not something it was really aware happened much. My agent has over 20 years experience so would have hoped that my application was strong enough to succeed. I've maybe naively assumed its just basically a waiting game once you send off your application after Invite? I need to read up on the probability of this and actually how/if refusals can effect other pathways.

So just to be clear @Raul Senisethat's a typo. I'm currently on 70pts -189 / 75pts - 190.  (Soon to be 80 & 80+5 once IELTS is superior) I know as things stand that's still not enough but @Marisawright do you still think take these off the table? 80-85 were accepted at times in 2019 so surely it's not out the question for this year?

I will speak with my agent and discuss the 491 option, as well as the prospective marriage and go from there. After speaking with the girlfriend last night, we are both wanting to get life started in Aus as soon as possible next year if we can so, if there are other options that move to Nz won't happen.

@DukeNinja I have considered another state, but its tough as Vic is the strongest for engineering design etc, but yes ultimately if it means being able to move over, I would take anywhere. The other half is a disability/mainstream school teacher so can pick up work anywhere.

p.s how do you edit posts? do I need to have so many posts before I can edit?

1 hour ago, Comlay90 said:

Thank you guys for replying appreciate it.

@VERYSTORMY Cheers, but that worries me, you speaking of refusal? Not something it was really aware happened much. My agent has over 20 years experience so would have hoped that my application was strong enough to succeed. I've maybe naively assumed its just basically a waiting game once you send off your application after Invite?

Yes, that is naive.   All the skilled visas are a competition.  For the 189 visa, only applicants with the highest points get invited.  For instance, currently only those with over 95 points have a chance of success, even though the official points required are only 65.  For the state visas (190, 491), the states cherry-pick whoever they want, based on the skills they feel they need at the time. 

The result is that although you might not get rejected, your application could easily languish in the queue until it expires, while others get picked instead of you.

This is why I said the partner visa is a better option.  It's not a competition - it's a simple queue and each application gets considered.  People do get rejected but only if they don't do a good enough job of proving their relationship. 

15 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Yes, that is naive.   All the skilled visas are a competition.  For the 189 visa, only applicants with the highest points get invited.  For instance, currently only those with over 95 points have a chance of success, even though the official points required are only 65.  For the state visas (190, 491), the states cherry-pick whoever they want, based on the skills they feel they need at the time. 

The result is that although you might not get rejected, your application could easily languish in the queue until it expires, while others get picked instead of you.

This is why I said the partner visa is a better option.  It's not a competition - it's a simple queue and each application gets considered.  People do get rejected but only if they don't do a good enough job of proving their relationship. 

Hi @Marisawright,  

Sorry for the confusion I have always been fully aware of what you stated above, that's not what I was getting at. I interpreted from the original statement that even after your EOI is answered with an invite...it is possible to get a refusal after you have complied and submitted your 'final' application with you $4000 fee etc?....if this is true, then I wasn't aware of it.

The reality I think is I am more at risk of my EOI expiring. My 190 expires Nov 2020 and 189 expires June 2021.

1 hour ago, Comlay90 said:

Hi @Marisawright,  

Sorry for the confusion I have always been fully aware of what you stated above, that's not what I was getting at. I interpreted from the original statement that even after your EOI is answered with an invite...it is possible to get a refusal after you have complied and submitted your 'final' application with you $4000 fee etc?....if this is true, then I wasn't aware of it.

The reality I think is I am more at risk of my EOI expiring. My 190 expires Nov 2020 and 189 expires June 2021.

It's very easy to get a refusal after you've applied.

1. You might fail the medical

2. You might have calculated your points incorrectly

3. You might be missing some key information document that you can't get or work around

4. You might fail a criminal check

There are all sorts of reasons you can fail after being invited to apply. An invite to apply is the easy bit in all honesty - once you get invited that's when they actually test all the statements you made in your EOI and nomination requests

3 hours ago, Comlay90 said:

@DukeNinja I have considered another state, but its tough as Vic is the strongest for engineering design etc, but yes ultimately if it means being able to move over, I would take anywhere. The other half is a disability/mainstream school teacher so can pick up work anywhere.

If you really believe this you need to go back and re-look at opportunities in the other states. NSW (Sydney) and WA (Perth) are at least as strong in engineering design (Perth arguably the most).

44 minutes ago, Ausvisitor said:

If you really believe this you need to go back and re-look at opportunities in the other states. NSW (Sydney) and WA (Perth) are at least as strong in engineering design (Perth arguably the most).

Thanks for your input @Ausvisitor. Maybe I should re-phrase and simply say Melbourne is 'one of the strongest places for my industry'. I totally expect Perth and Sydney to be comparable. I guess I'm just more familiar with the VIC job market as I worked there and tend to browse it more often than others.

Regarding the refusals - thanks for clearing that up. For me I've no medical or criminal issues, points and documents have been carefully handled by myself and my agent but still good to be aware.

43 minutes ago, Comlay90 said:

Thanks for your input @Ausvisitor. Maybe I should re-phrase and simply say Melbourne is 'one of the strongest places for my industry'. I totally expect Perth and Sydney to be comparable. I guess I'm just more familiar with the VIC job market as I worked there and tend to browse it more often than others.

Regarding the refusals - thanks for clearing that up. For me I've no medical or criminal issues, points and documents have been carefully handled by myself and my agent but still good to be aware.

What industry are you looking for in which to do Industrial Design, because outside of food and culture Sydney or Perth is usually always the strongest location for every other industry

10 minutes ago, Ausvisitor said:

What industry are you looking for in which to do Industrial Design, because outside of food and culture Sydney or Perth is usually always the strongest location for every other industry

I am a Design Engineer, so mechanical engineering, automotive, aerospace, industrial design, product design etc etc are the industries I am looking for. You may be right in saying that but realistically how different is the demand and thus my chances of being invited from WA, or NSW as appose to Vic? They must be equally if not more competitive?

2 hours ago, Comlay90 said:

I am a Design Engineer, so mechanical engineering, automotive, aerospace, industrial design, product design etc etc are the industries I am looking for. You may be right in saying that but realistically how different is the demand and thus my chances of being invited from WA, or NSW as appose to Vic? They must be equally if not more competitive?

Historically NSW seems to offer more places than the other states. If you've got superior english and an in demand skill I'd give a 190 from there a serious consideration if I was you

(In fact I was you (ish) and I did just that and got my nomination invite the day after lodging the application - of course your experience of the process could be different)

• Like 1

On 07/02/2020 at 20:55, Comlay90 said:

So just to be clear @Raul Senisethat's a typo. I'm currently on 70pts -189 / 75pts - 190.  (Soon to be 80 & 80+5 once IELTS is superior) I know as things stand that's still not enough but @Marisawright do you still think take these off the table? 80-85 were accepted at times in 2019 so surely it's not out the question for this year?

Even with those points a 189 would be very unlikely. A 190 may be possible depending on the State, although, as previously stated, the States seem to be moving more towards the 491 rather than the 190.

On 07/02/2020 at 20:27, Tulip1 said:

It’s slightly worrying that you have an agent with 20 years experience yet they don’t appear to have advised you. It seems you’ve learnt more of a few people on this forum than your agent. 

They don't unless I research things and contact them with questions. Not quite the service I was expecting at the beginning. I obviously have no comparison but I did expect my agents to check in from time to time especially with useful info. I feel once I paid my money, they didn't care as much. I can't fault they actual knowledge and ability though,  Lets see what this weeks phone call brings.

17 hours ago, Raul Senise said:

Even with those points a 189 would be very unlikely. A 190 may be possible depending on the State, although, as previously stated, the States seem to be moving more towards the 491 rather than the 190.

Good to have a straight opinion from someone like yourself, again lets see what comes of this weeks phone call with my agent. I'm interested to learn more about the 491 and from what I see on the other subclass 309/100 threads, the processing times are encouraging (9-10 months) if I were to go down that route, I could easily get on board knowing that we have a tight application to put forward for that.

• 2 weeks later...

To update - after more research, talks with the family and a good chat with my migrant agency I am kicking off the de-facto pathway. We have tons of potential material for our application as its something we have always had in the back of our minds (just in case). The additional cost to me is negligible compared to the 491 as it carries non of the location conditions and no skill select!

My agent has informed me that their recent clients have been granted in great time so fingers crossed by the end of the year should be doable. With that said, we are favouring doing 6-12 months in Nz from October-ish as I have my WHV available and we have a few of our best friends living in the South Island. We should then be able to make the final move in our own time once all is granted.

6 hours ago, Wonderingaloud said:

Is your agent MARA registered? Don’t use of trust anyone that isn’t. 

Well here's the thing...Only one person at this company from what I see is MARA registered. They are very established and have a top success rate. However, I haven't been impressed with their services since starting with them and they sprung it on me yesterday that I will need to pay another load of fee's because I'm changing from a skilled to a partner visa (starting over).

Hence why now I am looking for other agents, and considering compiling the application ourselves and paying a few hundred to a registered firm to check it.

21 minutes ago, Comlay90 said:

Hence why now I am looking for other agents, and considering compiling the application ourselves and paying a few hundred to a registered firm to check it.

I won't be popular with agents for suggesting this, but I think you're on the right track.

The refusal rate for partner visas is very high, but that's because (a) there are many fraudulent applications and (b) there's an awful lot of stupid people in the world, who submit their application without doing their research. 

If you've done your research, work meticulously, and if your relationship is genuine, then I think it's possible to DIY provided you get it checked over by a good agent.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Comlay90 said:

Well here's the thing...Only one person at this company from what I see is MARA registered. They are very established and have a top success rate. However, I haven't been impressed with their services since starting with them and they sprung it on me yesterday that I will need to pay another load of fee's because I'm changing from a skilled to a partner visa (starting over).

There are some visas which I would definitely suggest using an agent for, however you’ll find this forum seems split on the topic of using an agent for the partner visas (providing it’s straightforward). If you are in a genuine relationship and have the means to prove it, from what I gather, you can do it yourself. I can’t speak from personal experience only from what I have read over time on these forums. There are literally hundreds of threads on here with what kind of evidence you can use to prove your relationship.
I think your plan of getting a registered agent to check everything is in order is a great idea. It’s a drop in the ocean compared to the cost of the visa itself, and don’t forget the partner visas are heavily scrutinised due to many fraudulent relationships/marriages to obtain visas illegally. They also have a very high refusal rate, so it’s important to get it right first time. 

On the agent side-  unless it was the MARA registered agent handling your case personally I’d be wary of proceeding with the company you are in contact with. 
They may not carry the right indemnity insurance if mistakes are made, (more likely if they are not registered).

Any of the agents who post on here are reputable and MARA registered. Many members can attest to their professionalism and attention to detail. 
Wrussel,  Paul Hand and Raul Senise are commonly recommended. 

Best of luck 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I won't be popular with agents for suggesting this, but I think you're on the right track.

The refusal rate for partner visas is very high, but that's because (a) there are many fraudulent applications and (b) there's an awful lot of stupid people in the world, who submit their application without doing their research. 

If you've done your research, work meticulously, and if your relationship is genuine, then I think it's possible to DIY provided you get it checked over by a good agent.

Thanks for your honesty, these were my exact thoughts considering you have people from all different walks of life, countries, languages and cultures applying. I like to think that us being a well educated Aussie and Englishman from birth, with a nice strong genuine relationship, good level of potential evidence, been together 2.5 years/dating for 3, living together 13 months....should be in good stead to succeed. We would be very thorough, compile it in a very clear and presentable fashion, as well as getting it checked professionally. 

Logic says we should be fine, but its just believing that 😆

16 minutes ago, Wonderingaloud said:

There are some visas which I would definitely suggest using an agent for, however you’ll find this forum seems split on the topic of using an agent for the partner visas (providing it’s straightforward). If you are in a genuine relationship and have the means to prove it, from what I gather, you can do it yourself. I can’t speak from personal experience only from what I have read over time on these forums. There are literally hundreds of threads on here with what kind of evidence you can use to prove your relationship.
I think your plan of getting a registered agent to check everything is in order is a great idea. It’s a drop in the ocean compared to the cost of the visa itself, and don’t forget the partner visas are heavily scrutinised due to many fraudulent relationships/marriages to obtain visas illegally. They also have a very high refusal rate, so it’s important to get it right first time. 

On the agent side-  unless it was the MARA registered agent handling your case personally I’d be wary of proceeding with the company you are in contact with. 
They may not carry the right indemnity insurance if mistakes are made, (more likely if they are not registered).

Any of the agents who post on here are reputable and MARA registered. Many members can attest to their professionalism and attention to detail. 
Wrussel,  Paul Hand and Raul Senise are commonly recommended. 

Best of luck 

Thanks for the reply. I guess it just boils down to how confident we are feeling about taking control ourselves. We certainly wont be the first to do this and you're right, there is plenty of first accounts and general info out there to aid.

I will chat to a few other agents first and think this over some more before I making a decision.