Looking to move to Oz ..some questions

Guest lauramark

Guest lauramark

HI

We are currently visiting Oz with a view to moving here permanently,we have a few questions which I would appreciate any help with.We are considering Melbourne or Sydney,we currently live in Manchester un the UK.

Cost of living ...I am surprised by how expensive things seem here,we have a good standard of living in the UK ,but it seems to me that it would cost us more to live in oz for the following reasons.

1) tax rate is actually higher in Oz

2) Luxury goods (cars ,tv's computers,clothes) seem more expensive

3) Food ..I keep reading that oz is cheaper but we have rented an apartment to give us a flavour of living here and food seems to be at least the same as in the UK

4) Rates and things like water /electrics seem cheaper here

5) Eating out...obviously depends where you go but seems quite similar to UK

6) Investment opportunities in OZ.....I have some funds in the UK ....is there good investment opportunities in OZ giving good returns or would I be better off keeping money invested in the UK ?

7) The property prices seem at least a match for Manchester,is this right ?

8) A major reason for a move is the lifestyle weather issue and whilst we are aware we are here in winter (a deliberate move on our part) the weather in melbourne seems fairly mad...is it always crazy or are summer /spring more consistent (today already we have had mad rain/wind and now some bright sunshine)

Any comments would be most appreciated.

I think everything you have commented on, you are completely right about and you are well on the board.

Food overall about the same - I find meat and fish cheaper but everything else a little more expensive.

Luxury goods - can be found cheaper depends where you shop, places like Harvey Norman are expensive but furnishings wise, up here we have stores like SuperAMart which is brilliant and quality fine.

Rates and electric are cheaper but petrol is racing away.

Eating out as you say, depends where you go.

I dont know about Manchester house prices much but think you are probably right. We lived in the Sth East of England and prices are cheaper but a good look in realestate agents windows will definitely give you a good idea whilst you are visiting. Searching on realestate.com.au is OK but prices will vary widely depending on suburb (some suburbs not very good so naturally cheaper and until you know area it is hard to judge). On Gold Coast I would say $450/500k would get nice 4bed/2bath home in pleasant area.

As for investment opportunities, I don't know much but do know there is a desperate shortage of good quality rentals and there seem to be incentives to invest. But if there are incentives why aren't more people doing it? I too would actually appreciate some feedback on this and am sure some other people more in the know will respond later.

Many people have told me that in Melbourne you often get all four seasons in one day so what you have experienced seems normal!! regardless of the time of year.

On the Gold Coast, our winter is 20-25c and blue skies/sunny most days. Summer is much hotter and very humid and most people say 'you just have to get through it' - it's only hard going for a couple of months :err: so if you want more consistently good weather then here is the place to be.

However, as I am sure you are aware, what you have to take into consideration more than anything is what you will be earning as comparing against the £ when you are earning $ changes things even more. Wages overall seem lower here so that in theory would make the cost of living more expensive but if you are after 'quality' then I think Australia wins hands down!

Lyn

Archived