register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

North to South

Bringing Prescription Medication

Hi,

I'm interested to understand whether there is a maximum amount of medication that you can take with you from the UK to Australia when you move.  I suffer with mild Asthma and have about 6-8 months supply of inhalers (preventers and relief) and I'd like to know whether that would be permitted to enter Australia with.

All comments would be most welcomed.

I think that would be ok, they are only concerned when it looks like people are bringing in a quantity that makes them suspect it isn't for personal use.  You could ask your pharmacist or Dr to also give you a letter confirming it's medication prescribed to you and for personal use.

• Like 1

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

I brought a few months worth back when we migrated and just carried a script with me so if i was stopped i could show it was my medication prescribed to me. We had no issues at all.

Cal x

• Like 1

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

On 03/02/2020 at 07:37, North to South said:

Hi,

I'm interested to understand whether there is a maximum amount of medication that you can take with you from the UK to Australia when you move.  I suffer with mild Asthma and have about 6-8 months supply of inhalers (preventers and relief) and I'd like to know whether that would be permitted to enter Australia with.

All comments would be most welcomed.

Thanks 🙂

Are you bringing it in luggage or container?

If luggage you do have to declare it. I nearly got a huge fine. I was chatting to the customs guy whilst waiting at the carousel for our luggage about me working in gov with the dogs.

My son came over with cases so the guy said I will stamp your form save you waiting. He said you haven’t put down any medications? yet you are permanently in a wheelchair.? Do you have any?  I said yes my prescription ones that I went with and came back with, so I didn’t put them down. It turns out you need to declare everything. He was lovely though and still sent me on my way. 

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

The issue is going to be the country you transit through- the Middle East (Dubai/Abu Dubai) have strict laws around not carrying more than I think 3 months worth of medications. 
Look into this a little more, there are some horrifying news stories but I’m not sure they’re not just being exaggerated. 
We stopped via Dubai on the way to UK and had to fill out an online form to bring some medication into the country- not even that much, but because it was on their ‘restricted’ list. It’s not restricted here- just prescription only (antidepressant type) but they have different laws around some medicines. 

Due to escalating bills and budgetary cuts in the NHS, unfortunately, the light at the end of the tunnel has had to be switched off.

I always get a doctor's letter listing medications but so far no-one has looked at it. Still it gives a sense of security, especially in some of the middle eastern countries.

• Like 1