Which removal company would you recommend?

Jacquie

4 hours ago, Jacquie said:

Relocating back to the UK from Australia - which removal companies should I talk to before choosing?

any recommendations?  Thank you. 

We used Kent International Removals. They did everything from start to finish. I felt I had enough to do without spending hours wrapping & packing, doing paperwork etc etc. so I was prepared to pay for their service. However, we were moving more than a few boxes of stuff.

Enjoy your move back and good luck.

1 hour ago, Lovetoteach said:

How much have people spent moving their belongings back to the UK? 

Hi, that's a bit like asking how long is a piece of string. We've made two international moves, soon to do a third, and prices are vastly different due to what we decide to ship each time.

Each person's two bed house hold effects could be hugely different from another persons's two bed house hold. 
Best way to approach this is to get three quotes (unless you are only taking bits & pieces) and assess at that stage.

Also, look out for "add ons" in each quote, what each company will do for you and shipping time.

Good luck

15 hours ago, Lovetoteach said:

How much have people spent moving their belongings back to the UK? 

My movecube quote originally was for 10 boxes + 2 bikes was around $800. By the time I got around to actually wanting to book/packed all my boxes, it changed to 21 boxes, 1 Bike + 1 other item and it's $891 door to door 68-84 days shipping time.

I'm in the process of moving back to the UK with Seven Seas.  We sent an initial Large Movecube at the end of last year with stuff we could live without and will need in the UK straight away (i.e. winter clothes) and that's due to arrive next month.  Second Movecube being loaded on 19th Feb and I fly back on 20th Feb - that should arrive well in time for summer

All been easy and paid about $2100 for the first Movecube and $1800 for the second (negotiated a discount)

7 minutes ago, roltyid said:

I'm in the process of moving back to the UK with Seven Seas.  We sent an initial Large Movecube at the end of last year with stuff we could live without and will need in the UK straight away (i.e. winter clothes) and that's due to arrive next month.  Second Movecube being loaded on 19th Feb and I fly back on 20th Feb - that should arrive well in time for summer

What a brilliant idea to split the shipping in two.  Probably costs a little more than sending it all in one container but will make life an awful lot easier - worth the money.

We used Chess too. It was really straight forward. They packed/wrapped everything on day one, and then packed it into a shipping container on day two. It cost us a little under $8,000 to ship the contents of a five bedroom home from Sydney to Scotland.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lovetoteach said:

Thanks for those who have posted costs to move their belongings. I know each person's situation is different but it does help when deciding if it is worth shipping all or a little. 

Another thing that is very useful is to do a trial shop in Australian stores.   It's easy to think, "that's old, it's not worth taking" but what you really need to consider is how much it's going to cost to replace everything.

When we moved, I found it was all the small stuff that cost a fortune to replace - pots, pans, utensils, crockery, cutlery, small appliances, bedlinen, towels etc.   You can do a trial shop at petersofkensington.com.au for the good stuff or target.com.au for cheap items.   Also check out harveynorman.com.au for furniture and electrical.

On 07/02/2020 at 19:19, LKC said:

We used Chess too. It was really straight forward. They packed/wrapped everything on day one, and then packed it into a shipping container on day two. It cost us a little under $8,000 to ship the contents of a five bedroom home from Sydney to Scotland.

That's about the same size as our house so that's useful.  How was the process on the other end and who do they use in Scotland?  Thanks. 

6 hours ago, Jacquie said:

That's about the same size as our house so that's useful.  How was the process on the other end and who do they use in Scotland?  Thanks. 

They used Britannia Movers. We did have a couple of problems this end, although they were sorted out. When we accepted the quote and booked the removals, we didn't have an address at this end, so we just said 'Edinburgh area'. In fact my ex got a job in Dunfermline so we ended up in Dollar area. Britannia tried to charge us more for the removal from the dock at Grangemouth to our rental house, until we pointed out that in fact Dollar is no further from Grangemouth than Edinburgh. Our rental was up a narrow lane, and the container wouldn't have fit up the lane, so we had to pay extra for it to be offloaded into two smaller vans, which from memory cost us about £500 extra. It was all good in the end, and when we received our belongings it was like Christmas! I used an app called Sortly to create an inventory of what was in each box, and then printed out QR codes for each box so I could use Sortly to scan amd know what was in each box without trying.

1 hour ago, LKC said:

They used Britannia Movers. We did have a couple of problems this end, although they were sorted out. When we accepted the quote and booked the removals, we didn't have an address at this end, so we just said 'Edinburgh area'. In fact my ex got a job in Dunfermline so we ended up in Dollar area. Britannia tried to charge us more for the removal from the dock at Grangemouth to our rental house, until we pointed out that in fact Dollar is no further from Grangemouth than Edinburgh. Our rental was up a narrow lane, and the container wouldn't have fit up the lane, so we had to pay extra for it to be offloaded into two smaller vans, which from memory cost us about £500 extra. It was all good in the end, and when we received our belongings it was like Christmas! I used an app called Sortly to create an inventory of what was in each box, and then printed out QR codes for each box so I could use Sortly to scan amd know what was in each box without trying.

We booked and paid for Britannia to pack & ship our goods back to Australia last year, and paid for monthly storage in the UK until we gave the OK to ship, but we ended up not moving at that time.

I experienced issues with their fees, of which I felt were excessive, and inflexible customer service.

We got our goods back from storage thank goodness, but will use another company when we return to Aus sometime this year.

2 hours ago, AliQ said:

We booked and paid for Britannia to pack & ship our goods back to Australia last year, and paid for monthly storage in the UK until we gave the OK to ship, but we ended up not moving at that time.

I experienced issues with their fees, of which I felt were excessive, and inflexible customer service.

We got our goods back from storage thank goodness, but will use another company when we return to Aus sometime this year.

Yeah, they were pretty quick to tell us we had to pay extra to move our stuff to Dollar instead of Edinburgh, even though there is no difference in distance (in fact Dollar might even be closer). I've just looked back in my emails to see if I can find out how much they tried to charge and can't find the emails, but I think it was something like £1000 extra they wanted - it's almost like they were charging us for a full move from Edinburgh to Dollar or something!

The other issue that we had, was that as part of the original quote from Chess, they were to unwrap and take away all packaging. I'd already marked any boxes/furniture that we wanted to keep packed and stored in the garage (because we figured we'd move from the rental at some point, and there was no point in packing up again), but they didn't unpack/unwrap any of the other stuff that we wanted in the house. I spent weeks driving back and forth to the tip to take the cardboard, wrapping paper and stuff to be recycled! 

That said, the Chess end were absolutely outstanding. They packaged everything up really well, and nothing was broken at all.

1 hour ago, LKC said:

Yeah, they were pretty quick to tell us we had to pay extra to move our stuff to Dollar instead of Edinburgh, even though there is no difference in distance (in fact Dollar might even be closer). I've just looked back in my emails to see if I can find out how much they tried to charge and can't find the emails, but I think it was something like £1000 extra they wanted - it's almost like they were charging us for a full move from Edinburgh to Dollar or something!

The other issue that we had, was that as part of the original quote from Chess, they were to unwrap and take away all packaging. I'd already marked any boxes/furniture that we wanted to keep packed and stored in the garage (because we figured we'd move from the rental at some point, and there was no point in packing up again), but they didn't unpack/unwrap any of the other stuff that we wanted in the house. I spent weeks driving back and forth to the tip to take the cardboard, wrapping paper and stuff to be recycled! 

That said, the Chess end were absolutely outstanding. They packaged everything up really well, and nothing was broken at all.

Snap !

They only had to deliver from Leicester to Derbyshire - NO refund - so it cost us the same amount of money for them to deliver back to us within the UK,  as it did to ship all the way over to Australia ! I did question the company, no rational explanation provided.

And same as you, they literally dropped off our goods and ran - they were only here 20 minutes.