Is it the right thing?

Tappers2oz

3 minutes ago, tea4too said:

It's a gamble and for many the risk would be worth it, but I guess much depends on your priorities and focus. Does what you might gain outweigh what you might lose? If you move and things don't work out, which would you regret more - the end of the Australian dream or sacrificing the life you once had in Cornwall?

There's no right or wrong answer, only a difficult decision made more pressing by the timescales you are working with. Good luck Tappers, weighing heart and head is never easy. T x

Gosh you are wise! 😊

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Amber Snowball said:

I did this when I was thinking of returning to the UK and found it really helpful to focus my thinking. With the internet it’s pretty easy to get the rough information you need. 
I did my costings as percentages of my wage in each country rather than a direct comparison of price, if that makes sense, gives a pretty clear picture of disposable income up to a point, always things you don’t think of!
@Tappers2oz they always say toss a coin, heads you stay, tails you leave. If when you do that you are disappointed by the result and say “oh best of 3” you have your answer! 😃

Good luck with what you decide, I’m a nurse and Australia was good to me. You are looking at the right states for nursing. Qld and WA pay better than the others!

Ah, I’d not though about the percentage thing. Black and white/incomings and outgoings I’ve worked out but I like the percentage idea! 

Lol at the coin toss, I think I already know the answer to that without doing it so maybe that’s my answer. 🤔

1 hour ago, Quoll said:

Better to let your eldest stay in UK to finish A levels - as long as he is on your visa and has validated, he has 5 years to make his move.  He could stay with friends and finish his schooling then he has the luxury of deciding where he wants to do further education as A levels travel very well to Aus.  If you cant get him to Aus when he is 16 or about to be 16 so he can start year 11 in the January (like next week) then he's really missed the boat for his final two years 11/12 and they are all important.  He cant really just pop into the course half way through and expect to get a good score.

He’s currently in Yr 10, due to start his GCSE’s in September (starts Yr 11) so my plan/wish would be to go over between Aug and Oct/Novish to check out schools ready to start again next year. But I think this is a ‘bit’ of an ask. 😄

1 hour ago, tea4too said:

It's a gamble and for many the risk would be worth it, but I guess much depends on your priorities and focus. Does what you might gain outweigh what you might lose? If you move and things don't work out, which would you regret more - the end of the Australian dream or sacrificing the life you once had in Cornwall?

There's no right or wrong answer, only a difficult decision made more pressing by the timescales you are working with. Good luck Tappers, weighing heart and head is never easy. T x

Thank you, yes that’s what I’ve been toying with. Do we try it and see what happens, or not ‘risk’ anything. 

We’ve spoken to a couple of agents today and got the answers we were kinda expecting (that it’s not going to be easy) but we still have options open even if we wait until I qualify next year. 🤞

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Amber Snowball said:

I did this when I was thinking of returning to the UK and found it really helpful to focus my thinking. With the internet it’s pretty easy to get the rough information you need. 
I did my costings as percentages of my wage in each country rather than a direct comparison of price, if that makes sense, gives a pretty clear picture of disposable income up to a point, always things you don’t think of!
@Tappers2oz they always say toss a coin, heads you stay, tails you leave. If when you do that you are disappointed by the result and say “oh best of 3” you have your answer! 😃

Good luck with what you decide, I’m a nurse and Australia was good to me. You are looking at the right states for nursing. Qld and WA pay better than the others!

That's exactly what I've done regarding outgoings and it all seems pretty good really.

If you do it as a straight conversion to pounds then everything is more expensive, but do it as a percentage of your wage then most thing seem cheaper.

• Like 2

Let me see if I've understood this right.  Your husband can't be the primary applicant because his job isn't on the list.  Your occupation is on the list, but you don't have the qualifications and experience yet. 

IMO, by far your safest bet is to wait until you do have the qualifications and experience and then apply for a 491 visa, IF any of the states have nurses on the list. You're the perfect candidate for that visa because you want to live in a regional area (for housing affordability).  Points are far less important for a 491 so you'd be in with a much better chance.   It's true that It's only a provisional visa but it has a clear pathway to PR, so it's much less risky than the TSS 482, which has only the possibility of PR with lots of things that can go wrong along the way. 

It might help your decision to sit down and work out how much it would cost you as a family to move to Australia on a 482 and then move back again at the end.   Obviously you don't want to come back at the end, but I'm sure the agent has told you it's a complete gamble and you can't control whether you make it in the end or not.  So it's important to confront what the financial consequences would be for your family if it doesn't work out. Only you can decide if it would be worth it.

Remember, it's not just visa fees and air fares, it's also periods of unemployment while you look for work, holiday accommodation while you look for a home, shipping, setting up home, buying a car, etc.  You should get some relocation help from an employer but they're not nearly as generous as they used to be.  

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Let me see if I've understood this right.  Your husband can't be the primary applicant because his job isn't on the list.  Your occupation is on the list, but you don't have the qualifications and experience yet. 

IMO, by far your safest bet is to wait until you do have the qualifications and experience and then apply for a 491 visa, IF any of the states have nurses on the list. You're the perfect candidate for that visa because you want to live in a regional area (for housing affordability).  Points are far less important for a 491 so you'd be in with a much better chance.   It's true that It's only a provisional visa but it has a clear pathway to PR, so it's much less risky than the TSS 482, which has only the possibility of PR with lots of things that can go wrong along the way. 

It might help your decision to sit down and work out how much it would cost you as a family to move to Australia on a 482 and then move back again at the end.   Obviously you don't want to come back at the end, but I'm sure the agent has told you it's a complete gamble and you can't control whether you make it in the end or not.  So it's important to confront what the financial consequences would be for your family if it doesn't work out. Only you can decide if it would be worth it.

Remember, it's not just visa fees and air fares, it's also periods of unemployment while you look for work, holiday accommodation while you look for a home, shipping, setting up home, buying a car, etc.  You should get some relocation help from an employer but they're not nearly as generous as they used to be.  

Paramedic is on the short term list still. Nursing is on the medium/long term list. 

Believe me I’ve researched costs to death. 😄 And it IS a worry that it’s a lot of money down the drain if we go and can’t stay. Plus we have pets so that’s another added expense (and worry). 😩

1 hour ago, Tappers2oz said:

Paramedic is on the short term list still. Nursing is on the medium/long term list. 

Believe me I’ve researched costs to death. 😄 And it IS a worry that it’s a lot of money down the drain if we go and can’t stay. Plus we have pets so that’s another added expense (and worry). 😩

That’s what I meant . Short term list means barred from applying for PR as primary applicant.

i must say, I’m struggling to understand why you can’t get the deposit for a home together - if that’s the case, where will you find the funds to migrate?

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

That’s what I meant . Short term list means barred from applying for PR as primary applicant.

i must say, I’m struggling to understand why you can’t get the deposit for a home together - if that’s the case, where will you find the funds to migrate?

Exactly 

3 hours ago, Marisawright said:

It’s complicated, and stuff I’m not going to disclose here. But this isn’t on a whim and has been a long time in the planning. Believe me I know how expensive it’s going to be. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tappers2oz said:

It’s complicated, and stuff I’m not going to disclose here. But this isn’t on a whim and has been a long time in the planning. Believe me I know how expensive it’s going to be. 

You might have already posted the answer, and I've just missed it, but...... how many times have you visited Australia and how much time have you spent here?

Guest The Pom Queen
46 minutes ago, Tappers2oz said:

None and none. 

Just like us and we are still here. In fact I’ve never been back to the UK even for a holiday 

9 minutes ago, The Pom Queen said:

Just like us and we are still here. In fact I’ve never been back to the UK even for a holiday 

I didn’t realise you’d never been back! We know so many who have gone over without visiting, the ones we personally know (not necessarily from the forum) have all stayed and have all told us they wouldn’t come back to live. Not even if they were paid. 😊

• Like 1

Guest The Pom Queen
8 minutes ago, Tappers2oz said:

I didn’t realise you’d never been back! We know so many who have gone over without visiting, the ones we personally know (not necessarily from the forum) have all stayed and have all told us they wouldn’t come back to live. Not even if they were paid. 😊

I wouldn’t, I’ve no interest in the UK at all. I think Rob misses his family and having a support network around. 

22 minutes ago, The Pom Queen said:

I had never visited Australia either prior to migrating. 
Never wanted to visit back to the UK either for 10 years, until the niggles started.

It’s a leap of faith whatever really isn’t it? 

• Like 3

Tappers,  can your son finish his schooling via correspondence? Also, with pets you are going to need to get your pets rabies vaccines (last 3 years- though sometimes they might need a booster ) and then you need to wait 8 months before they can be approved for travel. So try and get that done around the same time as your visa application. I don’t think you will regret Australia. Good luck with it all!

53 minutes ago, Returnhome said:

Tappers,  can your son finish his schooling via correspondence? Also, with pets you are going to need to get your pets rabies vaccines (last 3 years- though sometimes they might need a booster ) and then you need to wait 8 months before they can be approved for travel. So try and get that done around the same time as your visa application. I don’t think you will regret Australia. Good luck with it all!

If Tappers could get a permanent visa, I'd be saying the same thing.  But it looks like they're heading over there on a temporary visa with a very slim chance that they'll manage to get PR.  

I don't think they would regret the experience of living in Australia either.  However I do think they might regret blowing their life savings on a doomed adventure. 

51 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

If Tappers could get a permanent visa, I'd be saying the same thing.  But it looks like they're heading over there on a temporary visa with a very slim chance that they'll manage to get PR.  

I don't think they would regret the experience of living in Australia either.  However I do think they might regret blowing their life savings on a doomed adventure. 

Actually, I have a lot of options I’m thinking about at the moment. The point of my post wasn’t asking opinions on which visa I could go for (I’ve done a lot of homework and have spoken to 2 agents already) or indeed my financial situation. Which quite frankly is none of your business or concern. 

It was asking about if the feelings of the ‘right or wrong’ reason changes/goes away etc. So I’d prefer you not to make assumptions or judgements when you can’t even seem to read the original post properly. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Returnhome said:

Thank you. We aren’t quite that close yet (unfortunately) but I’m aware the woofer will need his rabies jab. I think he’s out of date from his last one (we do the ‘usual’ vaccinations but haven’t worried to much about the rabies one) but would need to check his vaccination record to be sure. 

Don't think the schooling distance learning. It’s not something I’ve asked but I suspect the answer would be a no. Worth thinking about though. 👍

Guest The Pom Queen

I think from reading the thread, your advice from two agents, the information you have collated over 10 years and the fact that you have already had experience of a huge move to the other side of a country you have your answer.  See you Down Under lol 😂 

Guest The Pom Queen
7 hours ago, Returnhome said:

That’s a good idea, I wonder if you even need to tell them you have left if you started it prior