Is it the right thing?

Tappers2oz

Hi guys, some of you might remember me from ‘old times’ but I don’t post much anymore. Just pop in and say hi now and then.

We’ve been wanting to emigrate since about 2007, things never happened so we took a different path and moved from Surrey to Cornwall instead. We’ve been here 6 yrs and love it. 

Surrey never had the same feel, but the australia thing was never far from my mind even after moving. Lots has changed and I’m now in my 2nd year of nursing and hubby is trying to find a sponsor (his job is on the short term list) as nursing isn’t such a secure route anymore either. 

I’m wondering when (if) you get that feeling of ‘this is the right thing’ to do? We aren’t unhappy here, we have so many beaches on our doorstep, the kids have made some great friends (as have we), the community feel is amazing and I feel more Cornish then I ever had feeling for Surrey! I feel I am one of them. 😄 We have embraced the way of life down here.

The one massive issue is finances and housing. What we need we can’t get. Our rent is sky high (for a small house) and as such we can’t afford to save for a deposit to buy somewhere. Even when I qualify we won’t ever be millionaires. That’s NHS workers for you. We live in a nice (but slightly dodgy) area, the kids schools are close enough to walk to and are pretty good schools. The kids out of school clubs are more like a family unit then ‘just another club’ and my son even has a job lined up (once a vacancy comes up) with one of the clubs as an assistant.

I guess I’m asking is more money and a bigger house a good enough reason to leave!? We certainly aren’t unhappy here and we get by, but I just imagine how much better life could be with more money and our own home. We could then (hopefully) help the kids when the time comes for them to move out. There are clubs everywhere, but I’m worried the y won’t be the same. (Obviously they won’t be but I really want that family feel again). They will make friends again, as will we, but it’s scary to think about starting again, again! 

I guess it’s all the usual feelings everyone has but I lie awake at night wondering how to justify ‘giving up’ this life for one in Australia when I don’t know if we can replicate what we have here (the good parts!), but with a little more money on top! Feels like we’ve come so far that we have to try it. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 2

Welcome back on the forum Tappers...

I think your question is impossible to answer accurately as you wont know for sure if you have more money until your here,have secured work and spent a few months settling in (the first few months are expensive).

Houses in general do tend to be bigger than most UK homes so thats not too difficult a box to tick.

I think the big question will be ,'would you regret it if you didnt give it a go?' If you have toyed with the idea for over 10 years it doesnt sound like a flash in the pan idea, or an idea that will go away,hence id be tempted to say give it a shot if you can get the visa (rules have tightened up a lot this last few years so worth reading up on). Our biggest supporters when we decided to migrate where my aunty and uncle who like you toyed with the idea for so many years,but in the end they totally missed the boat, got to old for a visa and regret it to this day. 

Lots of luck with what you decide and keep us updated

Cal x

• Like 3

Hard one for you. My gut feeling is ‘no, don’t do it’ but, as Cal says, you have had it on your mind for a long long time so maybe you do need to scratch that itch? What do the rest of your family feel and will they support your move ? I would get a piece of paper do 3 columns and list yes, no and maybes for various headings like wages, housing, schooling, friends etc and see where that takes you but that is me.

• Like 1

I agree with Cal - it's not something you'll know until you get her.  I would say complete your nursing and get a little bit of experience behind you, whilst certainly there aren't as many jobs being advertised there will still be opportunities.

When we were first thinking of moving, house prices were such that we thought we'd be able to buy outright, 12 months later and we moved having to then get a mortgage because of the boom in housing prices.  This year we will pay off our mortgage 12 years early - we've managed to save and travel here and probably have more disposable income that we've ever had before, we live within our means and have managed to carve out a comfortable life.  As Cal says, I think if you're still thinking of it then it may be worth giving it a go - it doesn't matter what others feel about your reasons - it's what you feel.  I know it's not moving to the other side of the world, but you have made a lifestyle change and moved to a completely different area of the UK which might stand you in good stead.

• Like 1

Guest The Pom Queen

Hello stranger, lovely to see you back, and glad you didn’t leave for good. 
‘Oh hun, it’s a tough one, if you don’t do it you are always going to live with the regret and what if.

What I will say is make sure all the family are on board. I can’t remember how old your children are but once they get to a certain age you are going to struggle pulling them away.  
At the end of the day there is nothing stopping your husband still looking for that sponsor and you finishing your nursing degree. 
‘I agree with Ali, in that you have made a huge move already so it should be a lot easier for you all. 

1 hour ago, Tappers2oz said:

I guess I’m asking is more money and a bigger house a good enough reason to leave!?

I think  your first step is to do your research and make sure you can still get a bigger house and more money.   House prices in most capital cities have skyrocketed since 2007 but wages have stagnated, so a lot of people are struggling to buy houses in Australia too.   

As a nurse, you have a big advantage, because you can find work in one of the regional centres where you'll get paid the same but the house prices are much,  much cheaper. Of course,  you also need to  consider your husband's work prospects.  I suggest you get on realestate.com.au and check out house prices in the areas you're interested in.  

Another point - have you considered that if your husband's skill is only on the short-term list, all that gets you is a 2 to 4 year stay in Australia?  What will you do then?

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2

Hi guys, some of you might remember me from ‘old times’ but I don’t post much anymore. Just pop in and say hi now and then.

We’ve been wanting to emigrate since about 2007, things never happened so we took a different path and moved from Surrey to Cornwall instead. We’ve been here 6 yrs and love it. 

Surrey never had the same feel, but the australia thing was never far from my mind even after moving. Lots has changed and I’m now in my 2nd year of nursing and hubby is trying to find a sponsor (his job is on the short term list) as nursing isn’t such a secure route anymore either. 

I’m wondering when (if) you get that feeling of ‘this is the right thing’ to do? We aren’t unhappy here, we have so many beaches on our doorstep, the kids have made some great friends (as have we), the community feel is amazing and I feel more Cornish then I ever had feeling for Surrey! I feel I am one of them. 😄 We have embraced the way of life down here.

The one massive issue is finances and housing. What we need we can’t get. Our rent is sky high (for a small house) and as such we can’t afford to save for a deposit to buy somewhere. Even when I qualify we won’t ever be millionaires. That’s NHS workers for you. We live in a nice (but slightly dodgy) area, the kids schools are close enough to walk to and are pretty good schools. The kids out of school clubs are more like a family unit then ‘just another club’ and my son even has a job lined up (once a vacancy comes up) with one of the clubs as an assistant.

I guess I’m asking is more money and a bigger house a good enough reason to leave!? We certainly aren’t unhappy here and we get by, but I just imagine how much better life could be with more money and our own home. We could then (hopefully) help the kids when the time comes for them to move out. There are clubs everywhere, but I’m worried the y won’t be the same. (Obviously they won’t be but I really want that family feel again). They will make friends again, as will we, but it’s scary to think about starting again, again! 

I guess it’s all the usual feelings everyone has but I lie awake at night wondering how to justify ‘giving up’ this life for one in Australia when I don’t know if we can replicate what we have here (the good parts!), but with a little more money on top! Feels like we’ve come so far that we have to try it. 🤷‍♀️

Have you had the chance to look at  your potential Aussie finances in depth? That may well be the deciding factor as to whether to stay put or make the jump.

One of our main reasons for emigrating was to not regret not having tried it.

• Like 3

Hi everyone. Thanks for all your replies. I see a lot of the ‘old’ gang are still here. 🤗

I agree I think it’s an itch I need to scratch. I don’t want to regret ‘not’ doing it, and I know cornwall would be here if things didn’t work out. It’s just a massive scary thought that it could all go wrong and we would have to do the trip in reverse and create massive upheaval for the kids. 😔

I’ve done a lot of research on wages and houses and both are significantly better over there. We could afford a pretty nice house in Australia (generally something nice and affordable in most states), but over here I’m not even sure we could get a mortgage in the next 10 yrs. 

The kids are now 15, 12 and 7. Big one wants to finish his GCSE’s here, which I understand. He will be taking them next year. However, if a visa opportunity came up we would likely have to go as soon as possible. 😕 So that’s a huge worry. 

The middle and little one would miss their friends, that’s their biggest thing. So none of them are overly happy with the idea. But I genuinely believe they would like it once (if) we were there. 

Unfortunately I will have a tiny window to apply for an independent visa as I will soon lose points for age and can’t afford to wait to get any particular amount of experience under my belt when I qualify. My plan is to finish training, get my 3 months experience and apply for the skills assessment. Even so, most states are now quite picky with experience length and who wants a newly qualified (overseas) nurse with no experience. 😔 

I have recently been looking into the direct entry stream visa (482) for hubby although I don’t know much about this and if it’s even a possibility for his skills. That’s something I need to talk to an agent about.

The other option is the TSS visa. We go over, I finish my training in Australia (most uni’s give credit for previous study) and I get a job/sponsor when I qualify. I won’t know until I formally apply for a uni place but there’s the possibility I will only need to do my final year and not repeat my 2nd year. But financially that’s going to be hard and I’m not sure we could afford the international fees/school fees etc. I have lots of ideas, but none seem particularly good ones. 

Just do it 😉

I was the same as you, ive always felt a pull towards Australia since I can remember even though ive never even been there.

You get busy with life with kids etc and life is passing you by.

Then finally 2 yrs ago as I was approaching the grand old age of 36 I said to my wife its now or never (seeing as I would lose points at 40) so I got the ball rolling steadily as we didn't want to move for a couple of years.

Then fast forward to present day we have our 190 visas and making the move this summer.

Ive looked at what I could be earning in Aus and basing it of the lowest ive seen and crunching the numbers best I can hopefully we should be on at least a par with the UK financially.

Then again though we aren't looking at the move financially we just need to give it a try.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tappers2oz said:

Hi everyone. Thanks for all your replies. I see a lot of the ‘old’ gang are still here. 🤗

I agree I think it’s an itch I need to scratch. I don’t want to regret ‘not’ doing it, and I know cornwall would be here if things didn’t work out. It’s just a massive scary thought that it could all go wrong and we would have to do the trip in reverse and create massive upheaval for the kids. 😔

I’ve done a lot of research on wages and houses and both are significantly better over there. We could afford a pretty nice house in Australia (generally something nice and affordable in most states), but over here I’m not even sure we could get a mortgage in the next 10 yrs. 

The kids are now 15, 12 and 7. Big one wants to finish his GCSE’s here, which I understand. He will be taking them next year. However, if a visa opportunity came up we would likely have to go as soon as possible. 😕 So that’s a huge worry. 

The middle and little one would miss their friends, that’s their biggest thing. So none of them are overly happy with the idea. But I genuinely believe they would like it once (if) we were there. 

Unfortunately I will have a tiny window to apply for an independent visa as I will soon lose points for age and can’t afford to wait to get any particular amount of experience under my belt when I qualify. My plan is to finish training, get my 3 months experience and apply for the skills assessment. Even so, most states are now quite picky with experience length and who wants a newly qualified (overseas) nurse with no experience. 😔 

I have recently been looking into the direct entry stream visa (482) for hubby although I don’t know much about this and if it’s even a possibility for his skills. That’s something I need to talk to an agent about.

The other option is the TSS visa. We go over, I finish my training in Australia (most uni’s give credit for previous study) and I get a job/sponsor when I qualify. I won’t know until I formally apply for a uni place but there’s the possibility I will only need to do my final year and not repeat my 2nd year. But financially that’s going to be hard and I’m not sure we could afford the international fees/school fees etc. I have lots of ideas, but none seem particularly good ones. 

Can your husband not go for a 190visa? then at least its a permanent visa ?

Kids will adapt quickly if anything I would have thought that it would be harder for your eldest.

Ive 2 daughters 9 and 4 and they cant wait as ive promised them a pet kangaroo hahaha

4 minutes ago, Lavers said:

Kids will adapt quickly if anything I would have thought that it would be harder for your eldest.

Ive 2 daughters 9 and 4 and they cant wait as ive promised them a pet kangaroo hahaha

I think we still need sponsorship as paramedic is on the short term list? 

Its trying to find a sponsor that’s the big issue. No one wants to sponsor as they have a lot of their own paramedics coming out of uni. No need to pay for someone from overseas.

Hahaha, I might try the kangaroo idea on my kids. 😄

2 hours ago, Tappers2oz said:

I guess I’m asking is more money and a bigger house a good enough reason to leave!

What makes you think you'll have more money? Higher salaries maybe but a much higher cost of living to contend with for sure.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tappers2oz said:

I think we still need sponsorship as paramedic is on the short term list? 

The short term list means that he won't be allowed to apply for a permanent visa even at the end of his contract, so I can't see much point in that. 

Unless you're thinking that you go over on his short-term visa, then you complete your training in Australia and then you apply for the permanent visa?   Wouldn't you have lost points by that time?  

17 minutes ago, s713 said:

What makes you think you'll have more money? Higher salaries maybe but a much higher cost of living to contend with for sure.

I’ve done a lot or research on wages, house prices, general utilities/food/health insurance etc. I know it’s not exact but my workings out have been ‘backed up’ by people already living in Australia who’s circumstances are similar to mine. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tappers2oz said:

I’ve done a lot or research on wages, house prices, general utilities/food/health insurance etc. I know it’s not exact but my workings out have been ‘backed up’ by people already living in Australia who’s circumstances are similar to mine. 

Fair enough, good luck.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

The short term list means that he won't be allowed to apply for a permanent visa even at the end of his contract, so I can't see much point in that. 

Unless you're thinking that you go over on his short-term visa, then you complete your training in Australia and then you apply for the permanent visa?   Wouldn't you have lost points by that time?  

No, I’ve got a few years before I lose points for age. But as I only qualify next year (July/August), then have to wait 3 months working full time for skills assessment,  I’ll be 38 (or close to it) when I can then apply for the Eoi. Given how long it’s taking to get visa invites it doesn’t give me a lot of time to gain experience before doing the skills assessment. 

If I complete/redo some of my course of in Australia, I will get extra points for having an Australian qualification. 

See, lots of idea but none that brilliant. 😩

Guest The Pom Queen
53 minutes ago, Lavers said:

Pmsl @Lavers how in this world are you going to pull that one off. Actually, thinking about it, depending where you move, kangaroos could be on your land or around the gardens. So you may get away with it. Otherwise I’m afraid you will need to purchase a zoo 😂😂

Guest The Pom Queen
30 minutes ago, Tappers2oz said:

Pmsl I bet you could give us all the figures for the last ten years you have wanted this for so long.  Haven’t things changed as well since those earlier days, especially the visas. 

Guest The Pom Queen

Less of the OLD 🤪🙄😂😂

I personally think if your 15 year old stays another year then you may struggle getting him over.  I wonder if he could just do Yr 11/12 here.  I suppose it’s all hypothetical if you don’t get a visa.

There was a lady in Cairns a few years ago who came over to Australia with her teenage son With him being on a student visa. I’ve no idea how that worked. 

Any idea which state you would like to go? 

32 minutes ago, The Pom Queen said:

Pmsl @Lavers how in this world are you going to pull that one off. Actually, thinking about it, depending where you move, kangaroos could be on your land or around the gardens. So you may get away with it. Otherwise I’m afraid you will need to purchase a zoo 😂😂

I didnt tell them that it would be breathing haha a 6ft teddy is all there getting 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, The Pom Queen said:

Less of the OLD 🤪🙄😂😂

I personally think if your 15 year old stays another year then you may struggle getting him over.  I wonder if he could just do Yr 11/12 here.  I suppose it’s all hypothetical if you don’t get a visa.

There was a lady in Cairns a few years ago who came over to Australia with her teenage son With him being on a student visa. I’ve no idea how that worked. 

Any idea which state you would like to go? 

Yeah he would have to do his final year over there (if we got over this year). It’s not the end of the world but not ideal when he’s spent 4 years studying for one type of qualification and I assume the Aussie exams will be very different. Plus the kids have to stay on in education now and do a Yr 12 (or equivalent in college) so he would still be a dependent.  🤞🤞

Hahaha, I certainly feel old when I think how long this has all been going on. 😄

Would prefer WA or Queensland but to be honest would go to anywhere that showed an interest. 😂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

He could come and live in our suburb in Canberra - we have them in our front garden but they're not all that friendly, especially the big ones! (No idea how to attach a picture!)

Edited by Quoll

3 hours ago, Tappers2oz said:

Yeah he would have to do his final year over there (if we got over this year). It’s not the end of the world but not ideal when he’s spent 4 years studying for one type of qualification and I assume the Aussie exams will be very different. Plus the kids have to stay on in education now and do a Yr 12 (or equivalent in college) so he would still be a dependent.  🤞🤞

Hahaha, I certainly feel old when I think how long this has all been going on. 😄

Would prefer WA or Queensland but to be honest would go to anywhere that showed an interest. 😂

Better to let your eldest stay in UK to finish A levels - as long as he is on your visa and has validated, he has 5 years to make his move.  He could stay with friends and finish his schooling then he has the luxury of deciding where he wants to do further education as A levels travel very well to Aus.  If you cant get him to Aus when he is 16 or about to be 16 so he can start year 11 in the January (like next week) then he's really missed the boat for his final two years 11/12 and they are all important.  He cant really just pop into the course half way through and expect to get a good score.

Edited by Quoll
  • Like 1

It's a gamble and for many the risk would be worth it, but I guess much depends on your priorities and focus. Does what you might gain outweigh what you might lose? If you move and things don't work out, which would you regret more - the end of the Australian dream or sacrificing the life you once had in Cornwall?

There's no right or wrong answer, only a difficult decision made more pressing by the timescales you are working with. Good luck Tappers, weighing heart and head is never easy. T x

• Like 4

7 hours ago, starlight7 said:

Hard one for you. My gut feeling is ‘no, don’t do it’ but, as Cal says, you have had it on your mind for a long long time so maybe you do need to scratch that itch? What do the rest of your family feel and will they support your move ? I would get a piece of paper do 3 columns and list yes, no and maybes for various headings like wages, housing, schooling, friends etc and see where that takes you but that is me.

I did this when I was thinking of returning to the UK and found it really helpful to focus my thinking. With the internet it’s pretty easy to get the rough information you need. 
I did my costings as percentages of my wage in each country rather than a direct comparison of price, if that makes sense, gives a pretty clear picture of disposable income up to a point, always things you don’t think of!
@Tappers2oz they always say toss a coin, heads you stay, tails you leave. If when you do that you are disappointed by the result and say “oh best of 3” you have your answer! 😃

Good luck with what you decide, I’m a nurse and Australia was good to me. You are looking at the right states for nursing. Qld and WA pay better than the others!

• Like 1