Life in Australia

ramot

I love a Sunburnt Country by Dorothea MacKellar I love this poem,  and if anyone hasn’t read it I suggest you do, it describes Australia to me.

My husband and I have travelled loads around Australia since we arrived, as we are retired and we are lucky enough to have visited every state, I defy anyone to say all Australia is the same.

I enjoy the program The Backroads presented by Heather Ewart, it’s an eye opener on the diversity of this country and the strength and enterprise of small towns to encourage visitors. So many of the small villages we have passed through have something to entice you to stop, from murals to many small museums full of memorabilia. 

5 Things I have been lucky enough to do in Australia 

Visited the home place of Elizabeth Kenny a bush nurse who developed a controversial new approach to treating polio victims.

Seen platypus in the wild in the Atherton Tablelands, and Eungella National Park

Seen Koala Bears in the wild near the Great Ocean Red.

Snorkelled on the Barrier Reef

Made good friends

If anyone wants to  continue this thread, please make it a positive one. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Guest The Pom Queen

So, what do you love about your life in Australia. 
If you lived in Australia but returned to the Uk what do you miss? 

Please keep on topic. No negatives or trolling start your own thread for any off topic discussion.

The light.  Warm Summer evenings that don't turn really chilly at about 10pm.  Winter sunnry days which hit 20 degrees.  The sea not being bloody freezing.  Seafood (not least grilled fish and chips). Quokkas.  Eating outside.  Allens Snakes Alive!  Roads without endless potholes.  Visiting Wineries.  Nice Restaurants everywhere.  Cycle paths.  Walking the Bridges in Perth, South Perth.  Kings Park.  Oysters at Fremantle Boat Harbour.  Walking on the Beach at night.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, The Pom Queen said:

So, what do you love about your life in Australia. 
If you lived in Australia but returned to the Uk what do you miss? 

Please keep on topic. No negatives or trolling start your own thread for any off topic discussion.

I started a topic on chewing the fat would it be better here? Or shall I condense it and re write it here. 

Guest The Pom Queen

There is so much I want to say. 

Weather is one of the main players although I never in the whole of my life thought I would be praying for rain. Coming from the North of England where we got rain every day to a drought area and having to cart water in is difficult.

People always say they come for a better way of life and tbh I was one of those who said that’s why we were coming out and for my children I feel we have 101% achieved that. They have had an excellent education and great opportunities. 

My last one for tonight before the nurses get really mad (I’m hiding under the covers now as it’s lights out at 9pm) is the vast open space. I felt suffocated in the UK, every little bit of land was being built on. I know this wasn’t the whole of the UK but it was where we were. we had been surrounded by fields and then housing developments were built all around us. 

Guest The Pom Queen
12 minutes ago, ramot said:

I started a topic on chewing the fat would it be better here? Or shall I condense it and re write it here. 

Sorry hun, hadn’t seen, I can merge it here if you would like.

1 hour ago, The Pom Queen said:

1 hour ago, The Pom Queen said:

Please do. hope you are asleep obviously I’m not!!! 

I loved the absolute vastness of the night sky, so little light pollution you could see so much more. 
I miss the wildlife, especially the echidna who used to visit my garden and the birds, specifically Mr and Mrs Percy the king parrots, the Kevins who were a family of kookaburras and the Colins who were the fleet of cockatoos.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Amber Snowball said:

I loved the absolute vastness of the night sky, so little light pollution you could see so much more. 
I miss the wildlife, especially the echidna who used to visit my garden and the birds, specifically Mr and Mrs Percy the king parrots, the Kevins who were a family of kookaburras and the Colins who were the fleet of cockatoos.

We had the local firies do a backburn one year and the big old tree behind my place started burning. I told a bloke that the tree had been a nesting site for a family of kookas for years. He immediately got on the two-way to the water truck bloke to come and keep the fire down around the tree.years later the kookas are still in residence

Cheers, Bobj..

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bobj said:

We had the local firies do a backburn one year and the big old tree behind my place started burning. I told a bloke that the tree had been a nesting site for a family of kookas for years. He immediately got on the two-way to the water truck bloke to come and keep the fire down around the tree.years later the kookas are still in residence

Cheers, Bobj..

A small incidence re firies: a neighbour has a water service point in her garden, but, as it is on the council side, never got the plate cleaned of debris and soil, resulting in the grass growing and hiding it. The firies did a test of the hydrants, mine was ok, but they had to bang around with a long handled spade to find hers. I think the fire Captain gave her good old talking to. He pointedly pointed out that her house, being fibro and wood could well have been lost in the time it took to locate the hydrant.

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bobj said:

A small incidence re firies: a neighbour has a water service point in her garden, but, as it is on the council side, never got the plate cleaned of debris and soil, resulting in the grass growing and hiding it. The firies did a test of the hydrants, mine was ok, but they had to bang around with a long handled spade to find hers. I think the fire Captain gave her good old talking to. He pointedly pointed out that her house, being fibro and wood could well have been lost in the time it took to locate the hydrant.

Cheers, Bobj.

When I was a firie, many years ago in NSW Fire Brigades, each station was required, during a lull in operations, to conduct local activities. This included hydrant inspections on their patch. Part of that inspection involved locating the hydant plate on the nature strip in suburban streets. Normally not a problem, however we used a McCleod tool ( like a large broad hoe - same principle) to chop into lawns that had overgrown the Hydrant cover plate. This caused minimal damage. Some lawns were pristine but unfortunately no longer 100% pristine after we had been there uncoveing the hydrant plate. We copped abuse, but we explained that the hydrant in your nature strip is an asset.

We would also use a standpipe and pressure gauge to flush the water main in the street and also take pressure and flow readings and record the results for that particular street road or by-way.

The old Sydney Water and Sewerage Board encouraged fire staion crews to flush the mains, and so we did. On hot days the local kids, dogs and others  jumped into the sheet of water when we did a flow test. 

How I miss those halcyon days, walking the streets of our patch, chatting with the ladies, talking to the neighbours, giving the kids a short ride in the fire truck etc. Happy to report that hydrant inspections are still carried out during quiet fire activity.

Edited by Dusty Plains
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1