Migration Agent?

bluerob

Hi All,

I plan to move to South Australia as soon as possible, but I've been searching for a Migration agent that doesn't rip me off, I expect to pay don't get me wrong. I also need someone/company that will actually reply to emails. 

I'm a Motorcycle Mechanic with 5 years experience, and due to be finishing Level 3 qualification no later than June this year. My mother lives in SA an has been an Oz resident for a number of years. 

Who do people recommend for Migration agents? As I seem to be going round in circles. 

Many Thanks

Rob

There are a few agents who post on here, who I believe would give an initial consultation. However, I think your experience has to be AFTER you're qualified to be able to claim it, and you would need this to pass the skills assessment.  Have you checked with the relevant assessing authority? not sure if it's TRA or VETASSESS.

Guest The Pom Queen
8 hours ago, Neill said:

Hi Rob

I asked a general question on this forum and Paul (details below) replied.

I don't know him personally & haven't dealt with him on a professional basis but its worth having a chat with him.

Neill

Paul Hand

Registered Migration Agent, MARN 1801974

SunCoast Migration Ltd

Our members have regularly used @Raul Senise and @wrussell they have both been agents for many many years and on the forum for a long time and got plenty of our members out of very sticky situations.

10 hours ago, bluerob said:

Hi All,

I plan to move to South Australia as soon as possible,...

Who do people recommend for Migration agents? As I seem to be going round in circles. 

When you say, "going round in circles", what do you mean?

If you've been talking to reputable migration agents and none of them can give you a solution to migrate, there probably there isn't one. 

You can't count any of your work experience, because only experience AFTER you get your qualification counts.  So I don't think there is an option for you at the moment.  Even the 482 (the new employer-sponsored visa that replaced the 457) has the same requirements for qualifications and experience. 

If you are young enough, you could get a WHV (Working Holiday Visa) which would give you a year or two in Australia and is very easy to get.   

Edited by Marisawright

Does anyone know where it states that I need the experience AFTER the qualification? I can't find anything anywhere to that fact? I have the experience but before the qualification and during the qualification. 

I can't do the working holiday visa as I'm now 34. So too old for that. 

When I said going round in circles I meant I wasn't getting answers from companies to my questions. And they wanted a load of money before they'd talk to me properly. However I'm talking to The Down Under Centre, and so far they have been really good with answering my questions. 

You can do any number of FREE online assessments that will let you know which visa(s) you might be eligible for, but a MARA Registered Agent will likely charge a nominal fee for a professional consultation. £50-80 would be reasonable and personally I think it is a good investment. You can run through every aspect of your application, receive accurate advice relevant to your own situation and get answers to your questions. The Australian visa application process is expensive, so being clear about your path is paramount to it's success.

There are many reputable Registered Agents around, including those who post here. If you are wanting to speak to someone in the UK time zone, you might consider Concept Australia and Immigration2oz - both have been around for a long time and have solid reputations. I am not sure what they charge for a consultation, but do the online assessment first anyway.

Always make sure that the person giving you advice is a MARA Registered Agent - ask the question - there are companies around who sprout the MARA logo but do not actually have a Registered Agent in the office. In Australia it is law to be registered if giving advice, but not so in the UK. Don't take life changing advice from a salesman.

On 31/01/2020 at 08:08, bluerob said:

Does anyone know where it states that I need the experience AFTER the qualification? I can't find anything anywhere to that fact? I have the experience but before the qualification and during the qualification. 

I can't do the working holiday visa as I'm now 34. So too old for that. 

When I said going round in circles I meant I wasn't getting answers from companies to my questions. And they wanted a load of money before they'd talk to me properly. However I'm talking to The Down Under Centre, and so far they have been really good with answering my questions. 

if you look on the TRA website it's under applicant guidelines. I've attached the PDF. Top of page 12 says experience after qual. don't know if this is the most up to date though. you could contact TRA and ask?

untitled.pdf

So, after emails back and forwards with the Down Under Centre. I'll be on the phone to them in the coming days. 

We are looking at the possibility of a 489 visa. But this is a temporary visa from my understanding. Can I turn this into a permanent visa? As once I'm in Oz I'll be staying am won't be coming back to the UK, only time I'll be back is to visit. 

1 hour ago, bluerob said:

So, after emails back and forwards with the Down Under Centre. I'll be on the phone to them in the coming days. 

We are looking at the possibility of a 489 visa. But this is a temporary visa from my understanding. Can I turn this into a permanent visa? As once I'm in Oz I'll be staying am won't be coming back to the UK, only time I'll be back is to visit. 

There is a permanent pathway I understand providing you meet all the obligations 

3 hours ago, bluerob said:

The 489 is closed to applicants, it effectively doesn't exist anymore unless you have already applied for one.

I'd be choosing a different agent if I was you; they should know this....

Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 489) (invited pathway) closes to new applications from 16 November 2019

With the introduction of the Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 491) due to commence on 16 November 2019, the Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 489) invited pathway will be closed to new applications on 16 November 2019.

3 hours ago, bluerob said:

Both the 489 (closed to applicants) and the newer 491 (open to applicants) are provisional not temporary visas. There is a subtle difference.

So long as you abide by the conditions of the visa (live and work in a regional area for the specified time) you can then apply to have it converted into a PR visa (which they will only deny if you are seen not to have met the conditions).

A temporary visa has no such offering and at the end of the visa period if you want to stay you need to find a new visa to apply for.

So long as you are happy in a regional area (which sounds worse than it is basically it means you can't go to Sydney, Melbourne or Perth) then you won't go far wrong with a 491 visa; and after 3 or 4 years it will be eligible to be switched to a Permanent Visa which once processed means you can live and work anywhere with no restriction

Ok, so with a 491 visa in SA. Which is where I'll be going an staying. 

I have family support and potentially backing from an employer, I'm due to finish my Level 3 Motorcycle Mechanics NVQ here in the UK and should be equivalent in Oz, within the next few months. As stated previously I have the experience but before the qualification. 

So with the backing from family & potentially employer, and the qualification I need. I still have to wait a further 3 years until I've got the experience after the qualification. 

So in 3 years Motorcycle Mechanic might not even be on the skills list, as it's flagged to be potentially removed this March. 

This is really frustrating. Even my Mum (an Oz resident) is doing her nut of how complicated this all is. 

Thanks for all the comments & feedback so far guys really appreciate it. 

If you can truly get the immigration backing of an employer (i.e. they will pay and do the paperwork to sponsor you) then maybe you can get a temporary visa and look to switch (through a new application) in the future when you have got the post-qual experience under your belt.

If I was you I'd contact one of the agents on here and see what they have to say about your chances

Edited by Ausvisitor

2 hours ago, bluerob said:

Ok, so with a 491 visa in SA. Which is where I'll be going an staying. 

I have family support and potentially backing from an employer, I'm due to finish my Level 3 Motorcycle Mechanics NVQ here in the UK and should be equivalent in Oz, within the next few months. As stated previously I have the experience but before the qualification. 

So with the backing from family & potentially employer, and the qualification I need. I still have to wait a further 3 years until I've got the experience after the qualification. 

So in 3 years Motorcycle Mechanic might not even be on the skills list, as it's flagged to be potentially removed this March. 

This is really frustrating. Even my Mum (an Oz resident) is doing her nut of how complicated this all is. 

Thanks for all the comments & feedback so far guys really appreciate it. 

You need to speak to a agent such as those recommended above and if the occupation is flagged for removal, urgently as it will take a lot of look to get a positive skills assessment. But to be honest, I don't think you pass the assessment criteria as your need experience POST QUALIFIED. 

Also, at the moment, if you are looking at the family sponsored 491. The department are not inviting people on that stream at the moment. 

9 hours ago, bluerob said:

A 489 visa?   I thought the Down Under Centre was one of the reputable agents but I'm wondering now.  That visa no longer exists.

There is a 491 visa which replaced the 489.  It's what is called a provisional visa.  It gives you four years to prove you genuinely want to live in Australia.  After three years you can apply for permanent residence, if you meet all the conditions.   You do have to live in a regional area (i.e. not in any of the capital cities).

It's a visa that is granted by the states. so you need to check each state and see which one is accepting applications from mechanics and what their criteria are.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

I've been searching for a Migration agent that doesn't rip me off

For a ripoff to take place there must be at least two parties, the ripper and the rippee.

Prospective visa applicants are most likely to be ripped by:

The minister changing the rules in the middle of the game

A state or territory changing the rules in the middle of the game 

A skills assessing authority changing the rules in the middle of the game

An 'education agent' selling a course that leads nowhere but the bank

Unregistered agents who can make any claims and promises and face no consequences for making false or misleading claims. Some of whom list a registered migration agent as a 'consultant', who does not manage the case

DHA information lines where callers are likely to be told the first silly thing that comes to mind

Delegates (case officers) stuffing up a case, requiring an application for review, if one is available. Provided delegates make a 'genuine' attempt to exercise jurisdiction they are protected from legal consequences by 'privative' clauses. 

The AAT stuffing up and pocketing filing fee. The best that can be hoped for (in most cases for those who win) is a refund of half the filing fee. 

Sponsors/ nominators changing direction and leaving a visa applicant up the well know creek

Employers underpaying and threatening victims who are on temporary visas. with dire consequences for complaining.

Some applicants who rely on advice from well-meaning amateurs are both ripper and rippee - self ripping. 

If a RMA (or a lawyer, bless them) makes a mistake, the client is covered (in most events) by professional indemnity insurance, but not in any other case.

The above are not necessarily in order of probability.

• Like 5

Update. 

I'm going to be sticking with the Down Under Centre, had a decent phone call with them last night. 

So the option which I'm going to attempt is, once I have my Motorcycle Mechanic Level 3 qualification in my hand. I can get an employer to sponsor me (I have a couple of options) then I can earn my experience in Oz, after the 3rd year of experience I can apply for the skills assessment and then apply for state nomination in SA. 

So with any luck I shall get to Oz one way or another. 

Thank you for all the feedback. 

9 hours ago, bluerob said:

Update. 

I'm going to be sticking with the Down Under Centre, had a decent phone call with them last night. 

So the option which I'm going to attempt is, once I have my Motorcycle Mechanic Level 3 qualification in my hand. I can get an employer to sponsor me (I have a couple of options) then I can earn my experience in Oz, after the 3rd year of experience I can apply for the skills assessment and then apply for state nomination in SA. 

So with any luck I shall get to Oz one way or another. 

Thank you for all the feedback. 

I am not sure you have either read any of the above or understood them. 

The down under centre is for your skills assessment. You need a registered migration agent. 

• Like 1