Moon boot and crutches tips

davlap

So, I was jogging along and tripped. No biggie, tried to walk off a pain in my foot, but had to turn back and walk the 2k home.

Long story short, broke the 5th metatarsal bone, Jones fracture.

So a week later, out of a cast and in a Moon boot. 6 more weeks of non weight bearing hobbling around. The boot and crutches are a nightmare. I am really rubbish at it. I'm of a mature age, so balance has deteriorated I guess.

Anybody got any hints and tips. I can take the boot off for bed, shower, but must not ever put weight on the foot. If it doesn't heal, I have been told surgery might be needed. Again because of age, I desperately want a full recovery.

Looking at shower stools, maybe a knee scooter, but will be staying indoors, just want to be able to carry things around and do things.

Edited by davlap

1 hour ago, davlap said:

So, I was jogging along and tripped. No biggie, tried to walk off a pain in my foot, but had to turn back and walk the 2k home.

So a week later, out of a cast and in a Moon boot. 6 more weeks of non weight bearing hobbling around. The boot and crutches are a nightmare. I am really rubbish at it. I'm of a mature age, so balance has deteriorated I guess.

Anybody got any hints and tips. I can take the boot off for bed, shower, but must not ever put weight on the foot. If it doesn't heal, I have been told surgery might be needed. Again because of age, I desperately want a full recovery.

Looking at shower stools, maybe a knee scooter, but will be staying indoors, just want to be able to carry things around and do things.

One of my neighbours has just finished with the moon boot and crutches.  Like you she tripped and broke a bone in her foot.  She wasn't happy as she is very active.  I'm afraid there is no other way until it heals itself except be patient.  Sounds like you are doing all the right things.  A shower stool will be a big help.  She borrowed a mobility walker for a little while when she was nearly off the crutches.

I feel for you!  I was walking on Mount Thredbo and went over my ankle.  Ouch!  Walked the 5.5 km back to the pub, it only niggled.  Had a beer, then when I tried to stand, the pain was agonising.  Went to the local doctor and he said, "You've broken your ankle" before he'd even seen the x-rays (being a ski resort he saw broken bones all the time).  He said people with a sprained or torn ligament can't walk after the injury, whereas people with broken bones usually can - bones don't feel pain.  It's only once the tissues around the break swell that you start feeling it.

Anyhow, that's not answering your question.  I couldn't manage crutches AT ALL, so you're not alone.  I felt embarrassed and stupid about it. Nothing to do with balance, it's muscle weakness.  For crutches to work, you have to be able to brace your shoulders and arms to keep everything square.  We all lose muscle progressively after the age of 50, and it's not till something like this happens that we discover how much!   

It might pay to see a physiotherapist to get them to check your crutches.  I was just handed the crutches and left to my own devices, but apparently it makes a big difference if you get them adjusted precisely for your height and weight, and they are easier to use if you're taught the correct techniques. So maybe that would help you.

Otherwise, the knee scooter is the answer.  There are several models, try to get a smaller one because the bigger ones are too bulky when you're indoors.

I had a shower seat, then my husband helped me hop from the shower to the toilet seat, where I could dry my leg and put the moon boot on. 

Edited by Marisawright

1 hour ago, davlap said:

Have your crutches been adjusted to the correct length?  Don't know if your using elbow ones or old type ones (under arm pit), it you're struggling with one type - might be worth asking if they can supply you with the other (worth a go).   

• Like 1

I broke my bone in my foot when staying in Brunei with friends, missed the step into a room. Thought it was just hurt, hopped for a couple of days, then same in Singapore before flying home. Did give in and had a wheelchair at the airports, no chance walking those distances. Then home trying to negotiate the stairs, on my derrière as we have a 2 storey house,  wasn’t easy before seeing a Dr. and moving downstairs.

i had the elbow crutches with my moon boot. My balance isn’t the best as in my 70’s but was ok with the crutches. 

I was lucky as my husband was really good, recommend a shower stool as well.

Not an easy time, hope you have help, all the best.

Apparently according to my son I wasn’t putting the correct foot forward to balance the crutches to start with and he was right, just a thought.

Edited by ramot
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, calNgary said:

My friend used a knee walker whilst in her moon boot and found it to be a lifesaver. You do sometimes see second hand ones on Facebook Marketplace so could be worth a look.

RG20KWB-KNEE-WALKER-blue.png?fit=1584%2C1224&ssl=1

There'll be place that you can hire them from, along with the shower stools

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. Its incredible how many people tripped or stubbed a toe and ended up with breaks.

I was given the hand crutches. Physio checked height, told me they were better than under arm. I guess you can support yourself with underarm ones and use your hands.

I do some light dumbbell exercises weekly and upper arm strength is OK, but its using different muscles in a different way. So I get aches in arms and good leg.

I wonder if any of you have a way of carrying things around. I sling a bag over my shoulder for general clutter and smaller things. For drinks I sit at the kitchen bar/worktops, but would like to take food/drinks to the outdoor lounge when by myself. Tried a sealed coffee cup, but that still leaked a bit. Maybe a flask for hot / cold drinks might work?

Anybody improvised some home item to move things? eg shopping trolley?

I just quit work, decided to retire. Told doc I was in IT at a desk, but had no transport as wife has the car. He signed me off for the whole 6 weeks! I leave next Friday! I only have a week of sick leave left, so glad I don't have to get to work each day. Told my boss I am on sick, so will do handover work as and when I feel like it

I am looking on gumtree/facebook and checking the hire centers. Scooters are about $25 per week, so better to buy for $150 and sell on. Like you say CaNgary, not sure how they work indoors. We live above ground, so have stairs to get outside, but I would mainly use around the house.

Edited by davlap
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, davlap said:

Thanks for the replies. Its incredible how many people tripped or stubbed a toe and ended up with breaks.

I was given the hand crutches. Physio checked height, told me they were better than under arm. I guess you can support yourself with underarm ones and use your hands.

I do some light dumbbell exercises weekly and upper arm strength is OK, but its using different muscles in a different way. So I get aches in arms and good leg.

I wonder if any of you have a way of carrying things around. I sling a bag over my shoulder for general clutter and smaller things. For drinks I sit at the kitchen bar/worktops, but would like to take food/drinks to the outdoor lounge when by myself. Tried a sealed coffee cup, but that still leaked a bit. Maybe a flask for hot / cold drinks might work?

Anybody improvised some home item to move things? eg shopping trolley?

I just quit work, decided to retire. Told doc I was in IT at a desk, but had no transport as wife has the car. He signed me off for the whole 6 weeks! I leave next Friday! I only have a week of sick leave left, so glad I don't have to get to work each day. Told my boss I am on sick, so will do handover work as and when I feel like it

I mentioned in my previous post that my neighbour borrowed a mobility walker.  She found it a great help for carting things around.  She's absolutely fine now and back to long walks.

walker.jpg

11 minutes ago, Toots said:

I mentioned in my previous post that my neighbour borrowed a mobility walker.  She found it a great help for carting things around.  She's absolutely fine now and back to long walks.

walker.jpg

Thanks Toots. I did see that. I was going to buy one cheap yesterday, but it was sold. Wife is a nurse, she is not so keen, as she thinks they can be a bit unstable, ie brakes are not that good., might not hold me if I stumble. I could use my crutches and push it ahead with my booty loaded. Worth a try

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, davlap said:

Thanks Toots. I did see that. I was going to buy one cheap yesterday, but it was sold. Wife is a nurse, she is not so keen, as she thinks they can be a bit unstable, ie brakes are not that good., might not hold me if I stumble. I could use my crutches and push it ahead with my booty loaded. Worth a try

The question is, are you allowed to walk on your moon boot or not? 

If not, then the mobility walker will be a pain, because you'll have to apply the brake every time you try to hop.  The knee walker, on the other hand ,is designed to be used one-legged. 

Edited by Marisawright

21 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

The question is, are you allowed to walk on your moon boot or not? 

If not, then the mobility walker will be a pain, because you'll have to apply the brake every time you try to hop.  The knee walker, on the other hand ,is designed to be used one-legged. 

No, I cannot put any weight on the boot- that's what I was saying, wife is not happy with a walker.

But I would try using as a trolley (they have baskets)while using my crutches indoors. Use it as a mobile seat so I could use my hands. I move a chair to where I want to do something at the moment. Walkers have brakes and presumably can be locked.

I nearly got one for $20, worth a try 

Guest The Pom Queen

I am a little different because I have a wheelchair but when using my manual one found it very hard with drinks etc. There are lots of things around the problem is most aren’t cheap. 
Is your house suitable for a self propelled wheelchair? If it’s not carpets and open plan it may be a good way to get from the kitchen to the lounge to the bathroom/bedroom. On my manual I had a bicycle drinks bottle holder, on my other I have a childs one, you can get some good attachments that fit to prams. These may also work for other things.

There is a good wheelie walker out there which if I wasn’t a falls risk I wouldn’t have minded, it has a seat which also lifts up and you can store things inside. If you are carrying hot drinks, use a thermos flask, if you don’t like drinking from the flask, take an empty cup with you. Another thing that the boys did for me was to put a little table at the side of the sofa with a kettle and a few teabags and those single uht milks that way I could make my own brew (unfortunately now I don’t have the strength to lift the kettle)

17 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

I am a little different because I have a wheelchair but when using my manual one found it very hard with drinks etc. There are lots of things around the problem is most aren’t cheap. 
Is your house suitable for a self propelled wheelchair? If it’s not carpets and open plan it may be a good way to get from the kitchen to the lounge to the bathroom/bedroom. On my manual I had a bicycle drinks bottle holder, on my other I have a childs one, you can get some good attachments that fit to prams. These may also work for other things.

There is a good wheelie walker out there which if I wasn’t a falls risk I wouldn’t have minded, it has a seat which also lifts up and you can store things inside. If you are carrying hot drinks, use a thermos flask, if you don’t like drinking from the flask, take an empty cup with you. Another thing that the boys did for me was to put a little table at the side of the sofa with a kettle and a few teabags and those single uht milks that way I could make my own brew (unfortunately now I don’t have the strength to lift the kettle)

Hi Pom Queen

thanks, some useful tips there. I hate drinking coffee out of anything other than a cup/mug.

Unfortunately OH thinks my pain and suffering comes second to everything being tidied away to its rightful place., otherwise I would set up little stations with the things I need. I do need a trolley of some kind, but as in previous posts, not sure of best option. We live on first floor, part wooden/carpet/tiles. with a step to the bathroom (very annoying)

Sorry to hear your independence is diminishing further. The inability to perform basic tasks is driving me nuts as it is.

Edited by davlap

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

Went out and bought a knee scooter, similar to the one pictured above. On first use, much more comfy and easier to get around indoors.

Also got a shower chair.

Hopefully will think of a few additional ways to make it an easier few weeks

• Like 2

1 hour ago, davlap said:

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

Went out and bought a knee scooter, similar to the one pictured above. On first use, much more comfy and easier to get around indoors.

Also got a shower chair.

Hopefully will think of a few additional ways to make it an easier few weeks

Hopefully you'll be back on your 2 feet before too long davlap.  😀

• Thanks 1