simmo

Corona Virus

On 26/09/2020 at 20:29, kungfustu said:

these new restrictions make no sense whatsoever......I went to the pub last night for a cpl of beers with my boys as one is off to uni today.....walked in the door and stood at the desk as normal and was told to put a mask on immediately.....so the 3 of us put masks on.....walked 10 feet to an empty table where we sat down.....took the mask off and kept it off for the rest of the evening until we left when we stood up and put the mask back on to walk 10 feet to the door.....how on earth is that having any impact on the spread of this virus.....there was 10 or 15 tables all full of people talking.....laughing and drinking without a mask so much as near their face all sitting inside the pub.....yet when you stand up you have to put a mask on to walk to the toilet or to leave.....went to the gym this morning.....walked in....no ,mask....20 odd other people in the room all huffing and puffing on bikes....rowing machines and weights.....not a mask in sight and no requirement to wear one.....where is the sense in all of this?

Yep, where's the sense in any of that? You really shouldn't have gone to the pub and the gym would be even more risky. Like I said before mate you wonder why numbers and infections keep going up. 

Maybe it's because they relied on people having common sense.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

Yep, where's the sense in any of that? You really shouldn't have gone to the pub and the gym would be even more risky. Like I said before mate you wonder why numbers and infections keep going up. 

Maybe it's because they relied on people having common sense.

Hold on Paul, you're not seriously asking people to use a bit of common sense are you? God only knows where that could lead.

• Like 3

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

11 hours ago, Parley said:

Well you're wrong.

Ignorance and overconfidence are strange bedfellows indeed

• Like 3

:evilface_frowning_s

The new rules in the UK make absolutely no sense; too halfway-house. We either need to go on full lockdown again, wreck the economy, put 4 million on the dole, kill the hospitality and retail industries off OR we need to allow people to get back to normal and accept that some people will get sick, and some will die. Something in between that just blurs the lines won't make a blind bit of difference.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, s713 said:

The new rules in the UK make absolutely no sense; too halfway-house. We either need to go on full lockdown again, wreck the economy, put 4 million on the dole, kill the hospitality and retail industries off OR we need to allow people to get back to normal and accept that some people will get sick, and some will die. Something in between that just blurs the lines won't make a blind bit of difference.

But don't we have to consider that the number of hospital admissions rise to unimaginable levels which will destroy the health service and pretty well every social care system we have and we will spend the next 10 years trying, and I emphasise, trying, to rebuild them, the NHS and teachers are already under extreme pressure and from personal knowledge patients are not getting medical diagnostic tests they need because of shortages of staff and machines, if this rips thro the general population it will be uncontrollable and unmanageable.

How many Health and care workers have died so far? 600 is it!

There is also the issue that this virus has a potential deadly after affect, worse than flu and much longer lasting and what if 10% of your workforce is constantly affected by this how do you get back to normal, whatever that might be. Who is going to be providing the finance to support all these incapacitated people

Or do we simply accept Bolsonaro's and Trumps view and just accept a few hundred  thousand deaths and still find out that there is no 'herd immunity', no 'normal' and also no adequate health service or education system to look after you, your wife or educate your kids.

It sounds like it might not be taking into account all the possibilitie or variables

Edited by BacktoDemocracy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, s713 said:

I disagree. I think the rules have been made deliberately confusing so people break them. That allows the government to blame it on the people. It doesn't work though. It just creates a mess. They aren't protecting people and they aren't saving the economy.

Surely it wouldn't be that hard to have some simple and sensible rules which protect people and allow businesses to operate? Knowing what we know about the virus?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

But don't we have to consider that the number of hospital admissions rise to unimaginable levels which will destroy the health service and pretty well every social care system we have and we will spend the next 10 years trying, and I emphasise, trying, to rebuild them, the NHS and teachers are already under extreme pressure and from personal knowledge patients are not getting medical diagnostic tests they need because of shortages of staff and machines, if this rips thro the general population it will be uncontrollable and unmanageable.

How many Health and care workers have died so far? 600 is it!

There is also the issue that this virus has a potential deadly after affect, worse than flu and much longer lasting and what if 10% of your workforce is constantly affected by this how do you get back to normal, whatever that might be. Who is going to be providing the finance to support all these incapacitated people

Or do we simply accept Bolsonaro's and Trumps view and just accept a few hundred  thousand deaths and still find out that there is no 'herd immunity', no 'normal' and also no adequate health service or education system to look after you, your wife or educate your kids.

It sounds like it might not be taking into account all the possibilitie or variables

I'm not advocating either solution, neither is particularly palatable. But, having sets of halfway-house style rules that change week-on-week isn't improving the situation. Either go one way or the other and live with it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, newjez said:

I disagree. I think the rules have been made deliberately confusing so people break them.

There's no way this Govt are that clever. The rules are confusing because they're incompetent.

Just now, s713 said:

There's no way this Govt are that clever. The rules are confusing because they're incompetent.

Which rules don't you understand ?

Lets see if we can explain them simply for you. I'm sure it won't be rocket science.

• Like 2

I want it all, and I want it now.

3 minutes ago, s713 said:

I'm not advocating either solution, neither is particularly palatable. But, having sets of halfway-house style rules that change week-on-week isn't improving the situation. Either go one way or the other and live with it.

Yes, but don't you have to make a reasoned decision for yourself, on the one hand the destruction of society whilst safeguarding capitalism or safeguard society and sacrifice capitalism, which side of the equation do we all come down on.

This pandemic is forcing decisions on us that we have been avoiding for 40 years as we have all indulged in in the make believe of we can have it all, overseas holidays and a green planet, low taxes and first class social services, cheap food and clothes and no third world poverty, erect borders around our bit of the world to keep it rich and allow no one in.

Now its time to face the reality of choice.

44 minutes ago, s713 said:

Incompetent because they refuse to face the choices that will have to be faced, they have never treated the British populace as in any way intelligent, look at Cummings performance and then Boris's since, if you treat people like idiots they will act like idiots.

At heart Boris is only concerned about 3 things, being PM, leaving the EU with the freedom to link up with the US and create a super free market economy that can dominate and freedom from legal constraint on his and his party's powers. Doing anything meaningful for the country is a complete irrelevance to him, it's too complicated and too much bother for him.

He will let the brexit clock tick down,blame the EU for whatever chaos follows and then say the only option to get back to normal is to tag ourselves onto the country that defines the free world, the USA.

Job done, Trump and Bojo, the dream team.

Edited by BacktoDemocracy

43 minutes ago, Parley said:

Lets see if we can explain them simply for you. I'm sure it won't be rocket science.

Well I for one would welcome an explanation of them if you would.

can you explain how throughout the lockdown I could see a osteopath but not a therapist and how closing a pub at10.00pm and not 11.00pm reduces the transmission of the virus, given that you can get to the pub at 4.00pm, is that extra hour the absolutely crucial hour, 7 hours instead of 6, treat peopple like idiots and they are sure to act like idiots

2 hours ago, Parley said:

Well, seeing as Boris got the rules wrong live on TV today (as did another Minister), and has since admitted and apologised, why don't you try explaining to him first? There's a nice chap.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, s713 said:

can I help?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, simmo said:

can I help?

Can you please?

ThIs Govt seem bloody useless, ever since Dominic tried to explain his understanding of the regulations when he left London in the middle of the lockdown none of them seems to make sense to an intelligent person and we have Ministers telling us to obey the law but the Attorney General said the other day it was okay to break international law so long as it was to the benefit of the country.

I'm really confused now, can you help, what should we all be doing.

6 hours ago, s713 said:

Cummings is a master at manipulation. I'm guessing he has deliberately done these rules, and keeps changing them so people break them. I agree Boris could never have thought of it. He may not even understand it.

• Like 1

Headline news on BBC and ITN "confusion reigns", ministers and even PM do not understand and cannot clarify rules. PM apologises.

But don't worry, Australian person "Parley" understands it all perfectly, maybe they should have called you, what a waste of a talent 😂.

• Haha 1
  • Congratulations 1

6 hours ago, Parley said:

Please explain what I can and cannot do as I travel from Brighton to Aberdeen, stopping along the way several times for coffee, and dinner in a pub. I'll be traveling with people who aren't in my household, in a people mover that has eight people including myself.

Edited by newjez
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

Well I for one would welcome an explanation of them if you would.

can you explain how throughout the lockdown I could see a osteopath but not a therapist and how closing a pub at10.00pm and not 11.00pm reduces the transmission of the virus, given that you can get to the pub at 4.00pm, is that extra hour the absolutely crucial hour, 7 hours instead of 6, treat peopple like idiots and they are sure to act like idiots

See you do understand the rules. Just follow the rules and you will be fine.

7 hours ago, newjez said:

Please explain what I can and cannot do as I travel from Brighton to Aberdeen, stopping along the way several times for coffee, and dinner in a pub. I'll be traveling with people who aren't in my household, in a people mover that has eight people including myself.

Still waiting parley. We're at North Hampton, are we allowed to go in for a coffee together if we sit indoors? Next stop Leicester. Can we go inside a pub to eat lunch if only three of us are having alcohol? 

• Like 1

On 26/09/2020 at 16:10, Paul1Perth said:

Here in WA it's like a different world because the lockdown was strict. Our airport and borders are still closed and we live a normal life. No masks, distancing, pubs clubs open etc etc. Everyone here is glad that they had the guts to do it.

It's not normal, you are trapped in WA and can't leave.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, unzippy said:

We had no plans to leave at this time of year. Our holidays to the UK and Spain back in July were postponed, I reckon we'll be lucky to go next year. Luckily we are not that bothered and are happy to stay in WA, no desire to leave. Have a few days booked in Rotto, down to Busselton in a few weeks for an adventure race, triathlon locally in a couple of weeks, few nights booked at the Crown. 

Keep the local economy ticking over. Feels normal to us.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, unzippy said:

Yes he can, he just can't come back! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

9 hours ago, newjez said:

If you're really worried about your health, cancel the trip mate. The whole thing is risky, common sense must tell you that.

8 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

If you're really worried about your health, cancel the trip mate. The whole thing is risky, common sense must tell you that.

He made it up.