simmo

Corona Virus

On 22/09/2020 at 17:47, Tulip1 said:

They look very strict too. 

No visits to houses although Glasgow has had that anyway for a few weeks. No pubs or restaurants after 10pm. No sharing cars.. but taxis are fine 🙄

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Quokka2005 said:

No visits to houses although Glasgow has had that anyway for a few weeks. No pubs or restaurants after 10pm. No sharing cars.. but taxis are fine 🙄

So people aren't going to spread the virus in pubs before 10pm?  

• Like 3

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

2 hours ago, ali said:

Apparently it's a nocturnal pub crawler....only wakes up at 10 pm.    Or maybe no one in the UK gets inebriated until 10 pm.....and everyone keeps their required social distancing?  🙄 

22 hours ago, simmo said:

Is that Brighton by any chance

Not me mate.

We're fully stocked. I mean, I could put them in the garage. But then they would go damp, and that's where we're storing the beans.

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

3 hours ago, ali said:

It's a pointless gesture that will achieve nothing. But they need to be seen to be doing something. Plus pubs are really suffering. Probably worth buying shares in wetherspoons, as they will survive this and it is an excellent opportunity for their expansion during the recovery. They will be double the size in a years time. But we will lose a lot of independent pubs.

Numbers seem to be rising most places. In the UK, it's very hard to get a test. I only managed after three days. Not only are our cases rising, but hospital beds and deaths are rising, and our percentage is rising. We are in serious trouble, and I can see the NHS getting swamped. Whether we lockdown or not doesn't really matter. Reality will dictate the situation.

The USA doesn't seem to be rising that much. Whether this is real or not is hard to say. They could be restricting testing. But south American is still rising.

Thank god Australia has isolated. At least my family there is safe.

Edited by newjez

4 hours ago, ali said:

It does seem like a strange thing, either close them or don't.  However, I suppose you could say that the longer people are allowed to drink, the more likely they are to get pissed and the more likely they are to do stupid things and not follow guidelines.

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

On 23/09/2020 at 08:05, Toots said:

No idea.  Why?  Do you recognise the bloke?

It makes perfect sense to me.  Most people still in pubs will be the ones who go back to someone's house for a party or a rave.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ali said:

Yeah exactly..   I don’t really understand half of the rules.  Us Scots love a bit of day drinking too so people will just get drunk during the day and then that might potentially cause more house parties.     The other one I don’t understand is that I wouldn’t be allowed to car share to work but I can go in as many taxis as I want 

• Like 2

I read somewhere that she said if they could afford to then they would have closed the pubs again 

I finally managed to get my order through to IKEA. A new set of wardrobes. Just in time too, as I need the extra storage for the toilet paper.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Quokka2005 said:

I read somewhere that she said if they could afford to then they would have closed the pubs again 

I think the point being made was that via devolution, the Scottish Government only has control of a small portion of Scotlands budget and the ligislation means that SCotland is legally bound to run a balanced budget and is not permitted to run a deficit of any kind. Therefore without full financial/fiscal controls it is not possible to borrow/spend/reallocate any money for a furlough scheme to enable pubs etc to close without going out of business.

This is not a political point, rather a reflection of the devolution settlement across the UK whereby only the UK government is permitted to run a debt and borrow money to deal with issues such as covid and is therefore the only entity that can run/extend the furlough scheme. As seen in Australia, government borrowing has been central to battling coronavirus and if the UK government refuses to do so, the Scottish parliament (As much as it may like to) cannot follow Australia (and other countries) by borrowing to prop up the economy and protect livelihoods. Scotland is at the mercy of Mr Johnson for this one unfortunately and it will lead to increased numbers going forward.

• Like 2

:evilface_frowning_s

On 24/09/2020 at 05:08, Skani said:

Apparently it's a nocturnal pub crawler....only wakes up at 10 pm.    Or maybe no one in the UK gets inebriated until 10 pm.....and everyone keeps their required social distancing?  🙄 

Maybe we should have an enforced curfew instead.....9pm - 5am.....After all.....the virus sleeps during the day doesn’t it?🙃

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, kungfustu said:

Maybe we should have an enforced curfew instead.....9pm - 5am.....After all.....the virus sleeps during the day doesn’t it?🙃

That is what we have in Melbourne, a curfew for everyone from 9pm to 5am (previously it was 8pm to 5am).

The argument put forward was it helps the police in their management of the people to uphold the rules.

Obviously it helps as less people out and about less often. Whether it is justifiable is obviously arguable.

But Victoria's numbers have been brought under control now so Dan will claim his strategy worked.

• Like 1

I want it all, and I want it now.

1 hour ago, Parley said:

Victoria's numbers have been brought under control now so Dan will claim his strategy worked.

So Dan's decisions only make him personally responsible for the outbreak and not for bringing it back under control?

1 hour ago, Peach said:

So Dan's decisions only make him personally responsible for the outbreak and not for bringing it back under control?

I think you have that the wrong way round.

• Like 1

On 24/09/2020 at 12:35, newjez said:

It's a pointless gesture that will achieve nothing. But they need to be seen to be doing something. Plus pubs are really suffering. Probably worth buying shares in wetherspoons, as they will survive this and it is an excellent opportunity for their expansion during the recovery. They will be double the size in a years time. But we will lose a lot of independent pubs.

Numbers seem to be rising most places. In the UK, it's very hard to get a test. I only managed after three days. Not only are our cases rising, but hospital beds and deaths are rising, and our percentage is rising. We are in serious trouble, and I can see the NHS getting swamped. Whether we lockdown or not doesn't really matter. Reality will dictate the situation.

The USA doesn't seem to be rising that much. Whether this is real or not is hard to say. They could be restricting testing. But south American is still rising.

Thank god Australia has isolated. At least my family there is safe.

It does matter if you lockdown and follow the strict rules. The UK has never locked down fully from the beginning when they had a chance. Too worried about the economy I suppose.

The lockdown here was strict and numbers never got out of control. When they did, in Victoria, the strict lockdown there has reduced numbers dramatically, to the point where they can see life getting back to normal soon.

Here in WA it's like a different world because the lockdown was strict. Our airport and borders are still closed and we live a normal life. No masks, distancing, pubs clubs open etc etc. Everyone here is glad that they had the guts to do it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

It does matter if you lockdown and follow the strict rules. The UK has never locked down fully from the beginning when they had a chance. Too worried about the economy I suppose.

The lockdown here was strict and numbers never got out of control. When they did, in Victoria, the strict lockdown there has reduced numbers dramatically, to the point where they can see life getting back to normal soon.

Here in WA it's like a different world because the lockdown was strict. Our airport and borders are still closed and we live a normal life. No masks, distancing, pubs clubs open etc etc. Everyone here is glad that they had the guts to do it.

Too worried about themselves Paul I'm afraid. It wasn't national spirit for the economy which caused the UK lockdown to fail. Partly the government fault, partly the fault of some individuals. But it was selfish self interest that did it.

They were too selfish to take a bit of pain for the country, so now we will take a lot of pain. And they do have to accept that none of us are Sweden or South Korea. We just aren't sadly.

Edited by newjez

7 hours ago, Parley said:

That is what we have in Melbourne, a curfew for everyone from 9pm to 5am (previously it was 8pm to 5am).

The argument put forward was it helps the police in their management of the people to uphold the rules.

Obviously it helps as less people out and about less often. Whether it is justifiable is obviously arguable.

But Victoria's numbers have been brought under control now so Dan will claim his strategy worked.

Of a population of about 7,000,000 people Victoria has a handful of new infections.....what is it.....10.....15 and 1 or 2 people dying and still there is a curfew in place....the economy is in tatters.....you do wonder whats happening in peoples homes.....vulnerable people.....domestic violence.....of course you wont know about that and probably wont hear about it either because nothing else seems to matter.....I wonder who will take responsibility for those deaths......oh but no one dies of anything else in Victoria except coronavirus.....makes sense.....MUST KILL VIRUS.....MUST KILL VIRUS.....MUST KILL VIRUS

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

Paul.....the UK did lock down.....I am not sure where you get your news from mate but we locked down alright.....from end of March to the end of May......I can personally vouch for it.....I know.....I was here at the time.

I couldn't have described it any better myself "a different world".....the people of WA were always going to smash this.....normal life is like one big lock down party at the best of times anyway....no need for social distancing and masks.....no one ever goes out.

11 minutes ago, kungfustu said:

Of a population of about 7,000,000 people Victoria has a handful of new infections.....what is it.....10.....15 and 1 or 2 people dying and still there is a curfew in place....the economy is in tatters.....you do wonder whats happening in peoples homes.....vulnerable people.....domestic violence.....of course you wont know about that and probably wont hear about it either because nothing else seems to matter.....I wonder who will take responsibility for those deaths......oh but no one dies of anything else in Victoria except coronavirus.....makes sense.....MUST KILL VIRUS.....MUST KILL VIRUS.....MUST KILL VIRUS

Yes. Now we only get a few infections a day and 1 or 2 deaths but before these measures were put in place we had hundreds and hundreds and were on our way to being like the UK.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Parley said:

Yes. Now we only get a few infections a day and 1 or 2 deaths but before these measures were put in place we had hundreds and hundreds and were on our way to being like the UK.

this is like spinning plates......

3 minutes ago, Parley said:

do you think your lockdown has any consequences or do you think life will return to normal now and everyone will live happily ever after?

I am glad we did not go to the lengths and extremes that you have gone to in dealing with this.....madness....of course most of the people using this website would be hardly affected by the restrictions.....certainly no financial worries.....theres a start for you......what do you think the impact.....long term impact will be on lives due to job losses.....loss of income and living standards?

Just now, kungfustu said:

Paul.....the UK did lock down.....I am not sure where you get your news from mate but we locked down alright.....from end of March to the end of May......I can personally vouch for it.....I know.....I was here at the time.

I couldn't have described it any better myself "a different world".....the people of WA were always going to smash this.....normal life is like one big lock down party at the best of times anyway....no need for social distancing and masks.....no one ever goes out.

How wrong you are mate. Went to the AFL with my eldest a few weeks back. There's an excellent massive pub next to Optus stadium. Packed before the game, went back there after the game, my son knew loads of people there, DJ on, dance floor packed. Had to leave for a train about 11:00. Rest of his friends were off clubbing after. Perth is a blast.

Did you ever close airports, stop international flights? You couldn't wait to get off on holiday to Spain or wherever and common sense must have given you a clue about what would happen. You are no worse than the rest of Europe mind you.

All our families are in the UK and we speak to them often. They seem to follow rules when it suits them. My Sister was a bit bored living with her fella, so she moved in with my niece, hubby and kids for a few weeks, then back to her fellas place.

Luckily none of our relations have been affected but my wifes Dad and Sister live near Stockport, where I've seen just now has a massive outbreak. I've been watching sky news interviewing young people and they admit young people aren't going to follow the rules.