simmo

Corona Virus

3 hours ago, starlight7 said:

What most seem to do as they get older is each keeps their own house and just meet together when you want, no strings attached. A lot of Probus members seem to do that- keeps your money safe and you have your own space when you want. 

Yep, I know a few couples like that. Seems to work well for them.

What most seem to do as they get older is each keeps their own house and just meet together when you want, no strings attached. A lot of Probus members seem to do that- keeps your money safe and you have your own space when you want. 

Sounds good in principle but I think if I found someone I really liked I’d sit at home thinking I wish he was here giving me a cuddle, sharing the sofa with me and watching telly together. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paul1Perth said:

Yep, I know a few couples like that. Seems to work well for them.

I can't imagine getting married again if anything ever happened to my wife. Or even having a serious relationship. But there's a lot of things that are nicer when there is two of you doing them. 

• Like 1

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

Agree with you newjez ,even if they can be annoying at times. My Mum and Dad fought all their lives but my Dad really,really missed Mum when she died. He was totally lost and heartbroken and never looked at another woman.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, starlight7 said:

Agree with you newjez ,even if they can be annoying at times. My Mum and Dad fought all their lives but my Dad really,really missed Mum when she died. He was totally lost and heartbroken and never looked at another woman.

Must have been the times they were born into. My Mum and Dad never had what you would consider a good relationship. Me and my Sister used to dread Sundays when we were young, when the fallouts would be very bad. Looking back on it though my Dad worked 7 days a week at the coalboard, Sunday afternoon he liked to have a snooze after going to the pub and for some reason woke up in a bad mood. Funnily enough though it was usually my Mum who would get more physical and start throwing things. 

I think these days they would have divorced. Funny though, as they got older they both had physical issues and my Mum mental issues all her life. My Dad always stepped up when my Mum was ill when we were kids and they were carers for each other when they got older and were closer and more understanding for the last 20 years of their lives. They both lived till 93 so didn't do too bad.

• Like 3

It is strange how many people seemed to think this was a choice between the economy or lives. Turns out it was just a choice between good government and bad government. Guess which one the UK got?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/aug/26/saving-lives-or-uk-economy-from-covid-a-false-choice-mps-warn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 26/08/2020 at 14:33, newjez said:

It is strange how many people seemed to think this was a choice between the economy or lives. Turns out it was just a choice between good government and bad government. Guess which one the UK got?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/aug/26/saving-lives-or-uk-economy-from-covid-a-false-choice-mps-warn

What were Spain, France and other holiday destinations doing when they opened up places and were almost begging people to go on holiday. They were worried about the economy and thought everything would be OK and they were over the worst of covid. 

It was common sense to expect massive outbreaks when people started travelling with no control.

WA feels like there has never been a virus, no masks, no social distancing, everywhere open. Our premier, Mark McGowan has been under pressure to open borders to help the economy of the rest of Aus. Obviously the airlines are really struggling, as are lots of industries that depend on travel. 

I still see it as a choice between economy improving/recovering against the risk of further outbreaks and deaths and then, like a lot of places, a second and maybe third lockdown.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, simmo said:

Wow, Melbourne.

It seemed to me that Avi Yemini was trying to get some sort of negative response from the people he was talking to when in fact they were all very reasonable.  His trying to stir things up didn't work.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Toots said:

His trying to stir things up didn't work.

Unsurprising from the original poster.

6 hours ago, simmo said:

Wow, Melbourne.

Yes, those people are in Melbourne but as I said on another thread - Melbourne is a city of 5 million people.  Why do you assume this small sample of people is in any way representative?

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

The first few pages of this thread are quite interesting. Reflecting back on how we had no idea what was coming and very limited accurate information going around at the time. 

• Like 3

:evilface_frowning_s

1 hour ago, MacGyver said:

The first few pages of this thread are quite interesting. Reflecting back on how we had no idea what was coming and very limited accurate information going around at the time. 

I was one of those people who posted that it was just another virus similar to flu and why all the fuss.  Soon learned my lesson.  😐

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Toots said:

I was one of those people who posted that it was just another virus similar to flu and why all the fuss.  Soon learned my lesson.  😐

I don't think any of us expected it to get quite this bad toots. Most of us were trying to look on the bright side and minimise the virus. I remember in February having a debate about whether we should go out for dinner or not. It still felt like a total overreaction to stay indoors. Not long after, borders started closing!

• Like 1

:evilface_frowning_s

8 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

I don't think any of us expected it to get quite this bad toots. Most of us were trying to look on the bright side and minimise the virus. I remember in February having a debate about whether we should go out for dinner or not. It still felt like a total overreaction to stay indoors. Not long after, borders started closing!

If you wanted to design a virus to destroy economies, you couldn't do better than this.

Something that spreads easily and is mild or asymptomatic amongst the many, but kills a few? Perfect virus.

The flu is not such a problem as it makes people sick, and thus lowers the spread.

It should have been obvious to everyone that this was going to be a nightmare, and the fact that it wasn't and still isn't is what makes this virus so dangerous.

Even now, there are millions of people who think it's a hoax and don't care. That's how it spreads. I have to admit it took me a little while before I saw it.

Edited by newjez
  • Like 2

Very clever indeed this virus. Almost like it was deliberately designed to wreak havoc on previously strong economies at the same time wiping out 'non- productive' i.e. non working older members of the community. Mmmm.😷

Very clever indeed this virus. Almost like it was deliberately designed to wreak havoc on previously strong economies at the same time wiping out 'non- productive' i.e. non working older members of the community. Mmmm.😷

That's a real conspiracy theory

19 hours ago, MacGyver said:

I posted early on about the mental illness that would come from this as I feared the worst, The  fact that Scomo put I think 7 million into mental health services straight away was the clue , but got shot  down by the usual , I also seem to remember being told , it was a nothing story over in 3 weeks or words to that effect on here. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rallyman said:

I posted early on about the mental illness that would come from this as I feared the worst, The  fact that Scomo put I think 7 million into mental health services straight away was the clue , but got shot  down by the usual , I also seem to remember being told , it was a nothing story over in 3 weeks or words to that effect on here. 

I have to admit that it was after my chat with you that you convinced me to put my pension into cash. Saved me a fortune. I probably owe you a beer. Hope you took your own advice.

12 hours ago, Rallyman said:

Maybe it was one of these that shot you down

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/sep/12/how-vaccine-hesitancy-could-undermine-australias-covid-response

On 11/09/2020 at 21:44, Rallyman said:

Thanks again for the tip. Just goes to show that if you change your mind when you are wrong it can be extremely profitable. A lot of people on here could learn a lesson from that 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, newjez said:

Thanks again for the tip. Just goes to show that if you change your mind when you are wrong it can be extremely profitable. A lot of people on here could learn a lesson from that 

Here to help 🍺

10 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

Here to help 🍺

I appreciate it. 

I have the good antibodies [emoji123]IMG_20200916_162512.jpegIMG_20200916_162451.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Congratulations 1