simmo

Corona Virus

On 22/08/2020 at 14:43, Marisawright said:

The only way the virus is stopping your original plan is your (understandable) fear of flying at the moment.  Nothing else has changed - an exemption to travel if you're leaving permanently is one of the few exemptions that are easy to get. 

You say you are too poor to set yourself up in the UK, but that hasn't changed since before Covid either.  I wonder if that's really true or if it's your depression talking - perhaps it's worth taking another look?  Think of all the money you won't have to save up for holidays over the remaining years - just one air fare to get home and that's it.    Could your family offer any financial help?   Good second-hand furniture etc is much easier to come by in the UK than in Australia so it doesn't have to be costly to get set up, if you can't afford to ship.  If you're already receiving your Australian pension then you'll continue to receive it in the UK. 

The one thing I do nis that I have no fear of flying!

I'm not receiving an oz pension, the dwindling super plus a full British pension mean I probably never wil have an ozzie pension. At present I need to work to survive and no-one is going t employ an unskilled person approaching retirement My family are struggling to support a  batch of 20-somethings youngsters who have all lost their income due to COVID, certainly not a time to ask them for help - and I wouldn't anyway, why should they bail me out when the mess is of my own making?

The plan was to use my super as soon as I could to pay for shipping, rent, etc. There now is no moey to do that. C'est la vie. Plenty of people worse off. 

33 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

I'm not receiving an oz pension, the dwindling super plus a full British pension mean I probably never wil have an ozzie pension. At present I need to work to survive and no-one is going t employ an unskilled person approaching retirement My family are struggling to support a  batch of 20-somethings youngsters who have all lost their income due to COVID, certainly not a time to ask them for help - and I wouldn't anyway, why should they bail me out when the mess is of my own making?

The plan was to use my super as soon as I could to pay for shipping, rent, etc. There now is no moey to do that. C'est la vie. Plenty of people worse off. 

Don't lose hope.  My dads mate just returned from Marbella with prostate cancer and not a pot to p:ss in (no pun intended)  he has been well looked after by the social security.  There are still lots of jobs here for all ages even taking into account covid.  Where would you be moving to and what sort of work would you be seeking?  maybe us PIO poms in the UK can help.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

I’m sure that will be the case. It seems they can’t do right from wrong.  Boris, his wife, baby son and little dog went to a remote part of Scotland to holiday for a week.  After 3 days they had to fly back home because of possible danger as some nasty people made it public where they were.  Everyone needs a little break and working non stop is often counter productive and not fair.  I believe in the main they are all trying to do the best they can and need to be cut a little slack. They are human just like everyone else. 

What a nice photo of a family just trying to get some downtime. 

E1FB05EE-4195-4970-8454-8B80E719F2EC.png

Did he take his violin on holiday?

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

20 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

I’m sure that will be the case. It seems they can’t do right from wrong.  Boris, his wife, baby son and little dog went to a remote part of Scotland to holiday for a week.  After 3 days they had to fly back home because of possible danger as some nasty people made it public where they were.  Everyone needs a little break and working non stop is often counter productive and not fair.  I believe in the main they are all trying to do the best they can and need to be cut a little slack. They are human just like everyone else. 

What a nice photo of a family just trying to get some downtime. 

E1FB05EE-4195-4970-8454-8B80E719F2EC.png

Is that his wife, girlfriend or daughter ?

• Haha 1

I want it all, and I want it now.

17 hours ago, Nemesis said:

Are you certain about not qualifying for an Oz pension? It's worth trying. There's an online payment finder you could try https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/topics/payment-and-service-finder/28656 If you qualify then you should be able to claim the pension in the UK.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Parley said:

Just the relationship every parent would want for their daughter.

1 hour ago, Parley said:

It's not his violin teacher, I can tell you that for free.

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

1 hour ago, Parley said:

It’s his fiancée Carrie.  

7 hours ago, newjez said:

Did he take his violin on holiday?

What do you mean?

3 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

It’s his fiancée Carrie.  

When is the wedding? I'm sure the UK could use some good news, a reason to celebrate.

1 minute ago, Melbpom said:

When is the wedding? I'm sure the UK could use some good news, a reason to celebrate.

I’ve no idea, they’ve not told me yet! 

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Melbpom said:

Just the relationship every parent would want for their daughter.

I’m sure every parent would want their daughter to be happy in their relationship.  She appears to be just that so I’m sure her parents are happy too. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

I’m sure every parent would want their daughter to be happy in their relationship.  She appears to be just that so I’m sure her parents are happy too. 

All the more reason to get on with the wedding or at least set a date.

2 minutes ago, Melbpom said:

Do they have Prenups in the UK ?

14 minutes ago, Melbpom said:

Can you only be happy in a relationship if you’re married then?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Parley said:

Do they have Prenups in the UK ?

No, you’ve just got to trust them 😀

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, newjez said:

It's not his violin teacher, I can tell you that for free.

I think I’m being a bit thick as I don’t get it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Melbpom said:

Are you certain about not qualifying for an Oz pension? It's worth trying. There's an online payment finder you could try https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/topics/payment-and-service-finder/28656 If you qualify then you should be able to claim the pension in the UK.

I reckon if they're on a full British pension and some super income then qualifying would be a struggle. I'm in the same boat, not a full British pension but pleasantly surprised what I got, plus a couple of private pension schemes paying a bit. NCB and Ferranti. 

TBH we've paid off the mortgage and find we are ticking along OK. Wife works a 5 day fortnight so that helps a lot.

I spent time trying to work out if I had enough to retire. Went to a couple of seminars run by the super fund that scared me, they are only after your money though, like any business and the guys commission.

In the end I just thought I'll retire and see how things go. Just have to cut your cloth to suit your means don't you.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

Can you only be happy in a relationship if you’re married then?

I suppose you can. Probably mean a lot of lawyers costs though.

I can't imagine i ever would again. I can't afford to get divorced again at my age.

Although lately i have been getting hot young ladies on instagram from far flung countries wanting to follow me.

I'm not sure why but maybe i am irresistible to young 20 somethings in skimpy dress and i never realised.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

24 minutes ago, Parley said:

I can't imagine i ever would again. I can't afford to get divorced again at my age.

Don’t be so cynical.  

What most seem to do as they get older is each keeps their own house and just meet together when you want, no strings attached. A lot of Probus members seem to do that- keeps your money safe and you have your own space when you want. 

• Like 2

On 23/08/2020 at 09:23, newjez said:

There is a rumour that there is a super injunction out because a certain MP with a new baby has been caught playing away. Personally I think it's rubbish. I don't know how he would find the time, what with running the country.

Fake news

4 hours ago, Parley said:

When I was retiring I asked a guy who I've been working with for 25 years and he's a year older than me, if he'd thought about retirement. He said he couldn't afford to as he'd been divorced twice. He's 67.

• Like 1