Jump to content
simmo

Corona Virus

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, Nemesis said:

All my family are in the UK, as I emigrated alone and the vast majority of my friends Almost every friend I had here has packed up and gone home. My mother is frail and elderly, and I'm no spring chicken either, hence saying I am not sure if I will ever get to go back - or whether she will be there if I do.

At the time when I emigrated it was possible to go home regularly - unlike people who came out in earlier years, so whether right or wrong I expected to be able to travel home often. Different people all have different expectations and experiences, must be nice to be like Paul and never think about it, but that is not my life.

Do you still consider UK home?

That is sad. No wonder you are miserable.

Won't your family come here to see you ?


I want it all, and I want it now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even though my son is highly likely to be COVID -ve when we get his results he is wearing a mask around us so that hopefully we don't catch whatever virus he has. Too complicated for us all to have to isolate, stay off work, get paid sick leave etc. 

I wonder how much we could eridate or reduce cases of the common cold and flu if only we change our behaviour. This idea of 'soldiering on' when we are sick and continuing our normal lives isn't food for anybody. Lessons to be learned from COVID. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Parley said:

Do you still consider UK home?

That is sad. No wonder you are miserable.

Won't your family come here to see you ?

Some parents are too elderly to make the trip and I suppose because of all this Covid thing it is not at all easy to go to the UK and just about impossible at the moment for anyone to travel from the UK to Australia.  My sister usually spends 2 or 3 months with us but that won't be possible this year.  😨  Same goes for our 2 sons.  Oh the joys of living on different sides of the world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, HappyHeart said:

Even though my son is highly likely to be COVID -ve when we get his results he is wearing a mask around us so that hopefully we don't catch whatever virus he has. Too complicated for us all to have to isolate, stay off work, get paid sick leave etc. 

I wonder how much we could eridate or reduce cases of the common cold and flu if only we change our behaviour. This idea of 'soldiering on' when we are sick and continuing our normal lives isn't food for anybody. Lessons to be learned from COVID. 

Hopefully your son doesn't have the virus!

With regard to colds and flu, everyone here is saying how they have streered clear of both of those viruses this winter probably the result of a bit of social distancing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Toots said:

Hopefully your son doesn't have the virus!

With regard to colds and flu, everyone here is saying how they have streered clear of both of those viruses this winter probably the result of a bit of social distancing.

Thats the thing...nobody has got the flu or a cold that we know of, this is the first winter I haven't been unwell in ages. The fact he has a virus now makes me think not everyone is doing the right thing. It's definitely not COVID as there are no cases in WA but still important to get checked and follow the advice I think. It only takes one and we've seen unexplained community transmission in other states. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, HappyHeart said:

Even though my son is highly likely to be COVID -ve when we get his results he is wearing a mask around us so that hopefully we don't catch whatever virus he has. Too complicated for us all to have to isolate, stay off work, get paid sick leave etc. 

I wonder how much we could eridate or reduce cases of the common cold and flu if only we change our behaviour. This idea of 'soldiering on' when we are sick and continuing our normal lives isn't food for anybody. Lessons to be learned from COVID. 

It is very unlikely. There are only 9 active cases in the whole of WA and zero new cases yesterday.


I want it all, and I want it now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Parley said:

It is very unlikely. There are only 9 active cases in the whole of WA and zero new cases yesterday.

Yes i know, that's what I said. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Nemesis said:

All my family are in the UK, as I emigrated alone and the vast majority of my friends Almost every friend I had here has packed up and gone home. My mother is frail and elderly, and I'm no spring chicken either, hence saying I am not sure if I will ever get to go back - or whether she will be there if I do.

If all your loved ones are overseas, why would you stay in Australia?

  • Like 2

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

If all your loved ones are overseas, why would you stay in Australia?

My thoughts too but there may be reasons why Nemesis can't move back. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Parley said:

Do you still consider UK home?

That is sad. No wonder you are miserable.

Won't your family come here to see you ?

The family cannot come here because they are not PR or citizens therefore cannot travel here. 

My aim was to move back when I retired but I think the virus has put paid to that. Can't go now as Ihave no cash to set me up over there and am far too old to get another job.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

My aim was to move back when I retired but I think the virus has put paid to that. Can't go now as Ihave no cash to set me up over there and am far too old to get another job.

The only way the virus is stopping your original plan is your (understandable) fear of flying at the moment.  Nothing else has changed - an exemption to travel if you're leaving permanently is one of the few exemptions that are easy to get. 

You say you are too poor to set yourself up in the UK, but that hasn't changed since before Covid either.  I wonder if that's really true or if it's your depression talking - perhaps it's worth taking another look?  Think of all the money you won't have to save up for holidays over the remaining years - just one air fare to get home and that's it.    Could your family offer any financial help?   Good second-hand furniture etc is much easier to come by in the UK than in Australia so it doesn't have to be costly to get set up, if you can't afford to ship.  If you're already receiving your Australian pension then you'll continue to receive it in the UK. 

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, HappyHeart said:

Thats the thing...nobody has got the flu or a cold that we know of, this is the first winter I haven't been unwell in ages. The fact he has a virus now makes me think not everyone is doing the right thing. It's definitely not COVID as there are no cases in WA but still important to get checked and follow the advice I think. It only takes one and we've seen unexplained community transmission in other states. 

My son had the flu first, passed it on to my wife who had a covid test as she works at the hospital. Came back negative for covid but just the normal flu virus. I got it, probably from my wife a week or so later. Luckily we've had the flu jab and I just felt achey and lethergic for about a week. Usually I do some sort of sport every day, swim, run, ski paddle. For that week I didn't do anything and had no energy, constantly felt tired. Took a couple of weeks to feel back to normal too. 

There has been a few friends had it too but there are a lot less cases than normal. I used to travel to work every day on public transportand work in an office. There was nearly always someone in the office with a cold or worse who probably shouldn't have been there. Same on the train, people sneezing or coughing, specially throughout winter, not so much summer.

Felt a lot better since I've been retired.😎

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Marisawright said:

If all your loved ones are overseas, why would you stay in Australia?

At the moment there's not much choice. One of our friends Dad died during Covid and he couldn't get a pass to go, so he didn't get to the funeral. Having said that I've been back for 2 and they're not the best time to be back are they. More about doing the right thing and supporting family whilst trying to make the best of the visit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

At the moment there's not much choice. One of our friends Dad died during Covid and he couldn't get a pass to go, so he didn't get to the funeral

Nor should he. I’m talking about moving back permanently which you can get a pass for, we’ve had several members do it now


Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nemesis said:

The family cannot come here because they are not PR or citizens therefore cannot travel here. 

My aim was to move back when I retired but I think the virus has put paid to that. Can't go now as Ihave no cash to set me up over there and am far too old to get another job.

How long have you been in Australia? I hope you haven’t been feeling like this for years and years, that would be very sad. Take care of yourself.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, simmo said:

When we get a spike, the metropolitan elite will blame Boris and Dominic.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/illegal-lockdown-party-white-city-police-injured-appeal-a4530156.html

 

Why weren't these people arrested.  A bunch of oiks getting away with injuring police - I don't understand what's going on these days.  It's got nothing to do with Boris and his pal.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe they should have a curfew like Stalag Melbourne- we are not allowed out after dark at all. All because a few people like that spoiled things for the rest of us.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, simmo said:

When we get a spike, the metropolitan elite will blame Boris and Dominic.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/illegal-lockdown-party-white-city-police-injured-appeal-a4530156.html

 

Absolute rubbish. You can't blame Boris. He's never there.

  • Like 1

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, newjez said:

Absolute rubbish. You can't blame Boris. He's never there.

oh yes i forgot that since he recovered from covid and had a baby he has been swanning it for a couple of days* in scotland!! The absolute decadence of the man!

* would of been a week but some bitter SNP politician gave his location on line and the Scott Nat nutjobs turned up. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, simmo said:

oh yes i forgot that since he recovered from covid and had a baby he has been swanning it for a couple of days* in scotland!! The absolute decadence of the man!

* would of been a week but some bitter SNP politician gave his location on line and the Scott Nat nutjobs turned up. 

I felt sorry for them having to cut their family holiday short. Shame on those who made their location public. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, simmo said:

oh yes i forgot that since he recovered from covid and had a baby he has been swanning it for a couple of days* in scotland!! The absolute decadence of the man!

* would of been a week but some bitter SNP politician gave his location on line and the Scott Nat nutjobs turned up. 

There is a rumour that there is a super injunction out because a certain MP with a new baby has been caught playing away. Personally I think it's rubbish. I don't know how he would find the time, what with running the country.


Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

I felt sorry for them having to cut their family holiday short. Shame on those who made their location public. 

Daily mail I heard.

Seems the right wing press are turning against him. I think after brexit we may have a leadership challenge.

But who would have the numbers?


Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In Australia, Scott Morrison, Daniel Andrews and other premiers are working every day including weekends.

While we are quick to criticise them they are working on Saturday and Sundays, holding press conferences every day and have been doing this for months without a break.

When they do eventually try and get a week or a few days off with their families, we will all be so quick to condemn them won't we ?

  • Like 2

I want it all, and I want it now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Parley said:

In Australia, Scott Morrison, Daniel Andrews and other premiers are working every day including weekends.

While we are quick to criticise them they are working on Saturday and Sundays, holding press conferences every day and have been doing this for months without a break.

When they do eventually try and get a week or a few days off with their families, we will all be so quick to condemn them won't we ?

I’m sure that will be the case. It seems they can’t do right from wrong.  Boris, his wife, baby son and little dog went to a remote part of Scotland to holiday for a week.  After 3 days they had to fly back home because of possible danger as some nasty people made it public where they were.  Everyone needs a little break and working non stop is often counter productive and not fair.  I believe in the main they are all trying to do the best they can and need to be cut a little slack. They are human just like everyone else. 
 

What a nice photo of a family just trying to get some downtime. 
 

 

E1FB05EE-4195-4970-8454-8B80E719F2EC.png

Edited by Tulip1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×