simmo

Corona Virus

1 minute ago, starlight7 said:

Not allowed to vote, been away too long so I figure I no longer have citizenship from that point of view.

Two totally unconnected issues. Unless you have made a formal request to renounce your citizenship, then you are till a British citizen.

• Like 2

I see they are having self isolation introduced for travellers from France. It doesn’t work , we have tried it here and people are not compliant. Please tell them someone ! It is a pity there isn’t more co - operation between countries on things like this, it would save a lot of time and heartache.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, starlight7 said:

I see they are having self isolation introduced for travellers from France. It doesn’t work , we have tried it here and people are not compliant. Please tell them someone ! It is a pity there isn’t more co - operation between countries on things like this, it would save a lot of time and heartache.

It doesn't work because it's not being enforced by anyone. They are relying on people doing the right thing and we know there are enough that are not complying.

Here people in isolation are checked on regularly by police and big fines given if they avoid it.

• Like 1

Sadly unless there is a fine involved and some heavy handed police around many will just totally ignore rules and even brag about it. Not all young ones, either.

• Like 2

There is a great film coming to the cinema at the end of August called Tenet (Christopher Nolan), anyone going to start braving the cinemas?

All shut here and no sign of being able to open any time soon,sadly.

• Like 1

On 15/08/2020 at 17:06, Red Rose said:

There is a great film coming to the cinema at the end of August called Tenet (Christopher Nolan), anyone going to start braving the cinemas?

I would go without fear here in Perth. Went to the Eagles game again yesterday. 22,000 at the game but spaced out. If we were worried about anything though it would be the pub before and after. Huge pub next to the stadium, absolutely packed, bands on before, DJ after, food being served, no social distancing or mask wearing at all. Feels just like before corona virus came along. That, surely, is what we should be striving for and hoping we can get to. Sure, it's going to mean a lot of control till life gets back to normal in Victoria but WA's experience shows it can be done.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

I would go without fear here in Perth. Went to the Eagles game again yesterday. 22,000 at the game but spaced out. If we were worried about anything though it would be the pub before and after. Huge pub next to the stadium, absolutely packed, bands on before, DJ after, food being served, no social distancing or mask wearing at all. Feels just like before corona virus came along. That, surely, is what we should be striving for and hoping we can get to. Sure, it's going to mean a lot of control till life gets back to normal in Victoria but WA's experience shows it can be done.

There will be no normal, I don’t think you get it, normal isn't coming back, 

Things will never be the same again for Victoria. WA hasn't experienced it, lucky for them.  Sometimes it is good to be isolated. Even if they get a vaccine it will be years before the fear and horror of people dying around you goes, especially for the front line medical people. 

• Like 1

We're not immune in WA. Just a matter of time before it ramps up again. Hearing stories about hotel quarantine breaches today....make hay while the sun shines I say. Not looking forward to a Spring/Summer lockdown....

23 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

There will be no normal, I don’t think you get it, normal isn't coming back, 

It's back already in WA mate, has been for a few weeks. I'm sure the NT, SA, most of Queensland feel the same.

19 hours ago, HappyHeart said:

We're not immune in WA. Just a matter of time before it ramps up again. Hearing stories about hotel quarantine breaches today....make hay while the sun shines I say. Not looking forward to a Spring/Summer lockdown....

I heard on the news they had to track down a couple of girls from SA who decided they didn't want hotel quarantine. Got them pretty quick though, probably quarantine in a jail cell with a big fine.

That's the difference here isn't it. We seem to have been on top of it from the outset, very few cases meant we could track and trace and eliminate. If we have a flareup, like NZ, I really believe it can be eradicated again.

I know there's pressure for "living with the virus" but I know I wouldn't have gone to the pub and footy if the virus had been in the community  and I don't want to be wearing a mask everywhere for the forseable future. 

McGowan is doing a splendid job as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 2

It is really nasty having to wear a mask all the time but if that is what it takes I guess it is worth it. I have loads of them and wear a different colour according to mood and what I am wearing. They only take 10 minutes to make once you are used to it. 

• Like 1

On 18/08/2020 at 15:33, Paul1Perth said:

It's back already in WA mate, has been for a few weeks. I'm sure the NT, SA, most of Queensland feel the same.

Within those states yes I agree with that, but those of us who have family in other states that we are being kept away from are still feeling that normal is a long way away.

• Like 1

......Just trying to be helpful so don't shoot me down if my personal views do not coincide with yours! :animal-dog:

4 hours ago, Rossmoyne said:

Within those states yes I agree with that, but those of us who have family in other states that we are being kept away from are still feeling that normal is a long way away.

And those who have their entire family on the other side of the world have pretty much given up hope of ever seeing them again. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Nemesis said:

And those who have their entire family on the other side of the world have pretty much given up hope of ever seeing them again. 

It’s very hard not knowing when it will be possible. 

14 hours ago, Nemesis said:

Really? We are in that position but expect to be seeing them probably next year, if not then whenever it's safe. 

When we emigrated we couldn't afford to go back for 13 years, some came to visit but some we didn't see. Those were days before internet too so no skype etc. We have plenty of friends so just have to make do with them.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

It’s very hard not knowing when it will be possible. 

Honestly, doesn't really cross my mind, just the way it is.

16 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

Really? We are in that position but expect to be seeing them probably next year, if not then whenever it's safe. 

When we emigrated we couldn't afford to go back for 13 years, some came to visit but some we didn't see. Those were days before internet too so no skype etc. We have plenty of friends so just have to make do with them.

We were the same. No one who emigrated expected to be able to go back to visit. It was 10 years for us and by that time things had changed over there quite a bit. Still remember being dazzled by the green fields on that first visit back, I'd forgotten them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paul1Perth said:

1 hour ago, Paul1Perth said:

We are not all in the same position Paul.. In our case we are sadly getting older and will have to weigh up how safe we might feel flying, when the flights start up properly again, and this comes from someone who has flown for a living and spent more time flying than most posters,, so not usually nervous about flying.

I think you have your children in Australia Paul? We do have 2 of ours in Australia but Our only grandchildren are in UK, and still young, and again I wonder when our son might feel confident to fly here as one of the boys would be vulnerable health wise.

I hope it won’t be forever for many people, but it might be for some of us.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ramot said:

we are sadly getting older and will have to weigh up how safe we might feel flying, when the flights start up properly again, and this comes from someone who has flown for a living and spent more time flying than most posters,, so not usually nervous about flying....I hope it won’t be forever for many people, but it might be for some of us.

We're feeling much the same.   The risk of infection on a long, busy flight is going to remain until a vaccine is found and large numbers of people are vaccinated.  I reckon that's at least two years away and quite possibly a lot more.    By the time all this is over, I fear we'll be in our seventies and too old to do most of the activities we're currently missing.

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

4 hours ago, ramot said:

We are not all in the same position Paul.. In our case we are sadly getting older and will have to weigh up how safe we might feel flying, when the flights start up properly again, and this comes from someone who has flown for a living and spent more time flying than most posters,, so not usually nervous about flying.

I think you have your children in Australia Paul? We do have 2 of ours in Australia but Our only grandchildren are in UK, and still young, and again I wonder when our son might feel confident to fly here as one of the boys would be vulnerable health wise.

I hope it won’t be forever for many people, but it might be for some of us.

All my family are in the UK, as I emigrated alone and the vast majority of my friends Almost every friend I had here has packed up and gone home. My mother is frail and elderly, and I'm no spring chicken either, hence saying I am not sure if I will ever get to go back - or whether she will be there if I do.

At the time when I emigrated it was possible to go home regularly - unlike people who came out in earlier years, so whether right or wrong I expected to be able to travel home often. Different people all have different expectations and experiences, must be nice to be like Paul and never think about it, but that is not my life.

3 hours ago, Nemesis said:

All my family are in the UK, as I emigrated alone and the vast majority of my friends Almost every friend I had here has packed up and gone home. My mother is frail and elderly, and I'm no spring chicken either, hence saying I am not sure if I will ever get to go back - or whether she will be there if I do.

At the time when I emigrated it was possible to go home regularly - unlike people who came out in earlier years, so whether right or wrong I expected to be able to travel home often. Different people all have different expectations and experiences, must be nice to be like Paul and never think about it, but that is not my life.

I don't know when I'll see my parents again. I normally visit Perth once a year, but had to cancel in Feb, and not sure when I'll make the trip. Maybe Christmas 2021 by the looks of things. Hopefully my parents will still be ok then.

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

4 hours ago, Marisawright said:

We're feeling much the same.   The risk of infection on a long, busy flight is going to remain until a vaccine is found and large numbers of people are vaccinated.  I reckon that's at least two years away and quite possibly a lot more.    By the time all this is over, I fear we'll be in our seventies and too old to do most of the activities we're currently missing.

Seventy is the new fifty.

• Like 1

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

10 hours ago, Nemesis said:

To "go home" regularly means you use your holidays going to the same place. We never thought we would want to go back that much as there's so much to see and do elsewhere.

There's only so much money and holidays to go around. I'm in my mid 60's both parents died at 93, luckily my Sister and nieces and families live close and my sis had sorted everything out when I got back when they died.