register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

simmo

Corona Virus

49 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

2nd paragraph - once again , where did you assume that I think that covid 19 only affects older people , and those with underlying health conditions  ?

Put it up !

And there isnt a perhaps about it 

It affects everyone but the elderly are more likely to die from it especially if they are in poor health

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

18 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

This “study” has been widely discredited internationally. On a side, as someone who has proved a significant number of Grund articles to be total fabrication, I trust them to about the same accuracy as The Sunday Sport. Maybe slightly less. 

• Like 1

On 07/04/2020 at 09:00, starlight7 said:

Hope Boris Johnson pulls through. He doesn’t look too good just now.

He will be o.k 

• Like 1

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

Once again please remember this thread is for important health updates only. General chat please use one of the other threads created. 

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

The UK is reporting a mortality rate of well over 10%

As you point out, a 10% mortality rate can't possibly be right.     It's not that high anywhere else in the world. Even the worst predictions put the mortality rate at 3.4% and they're starting to think it's more like 2%.   

Therefore if we take Britains deaths as being 2% of the people infected, that is probably the most reliable indicator of how widespread it is in the community.

I can see why the number infected is so high.  My niece and her son seem to be recovering - they're pretty sure they had it, but they will never  be included in the statistics.  Simmo went to hospital so his case got counted, but his wife and child didn't need treatment, so they aren't included.  That's happening all over the country.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

24 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

As you point out, a 10% mortality rate can't possibly be right.     It's not that high anywhere else in the world. Even the worst predictions put the mortality rate at 3.4% and they're starting to think it's more like 2%.   

Therefore if we take Britains deaths as being 2% of the people infected, that is probably the most reliable indicator of how widespread it is in the community.

I can see why the number infected is so high.  My niece and her son seem to be recovering - they're pretty sure they had it, but they will never  be included in the statistics.  Simmo went to hospital so his case got counted, but his wife and child didn't need treatment, so they aren't included.  That's happening all over the country.

To be fair Italy, Spain and France are also recording mortality rates of 10%.  It means that those countries are in the same category as the UK.  The Germans have managed this crisis much better so far in Europe and Germany is a far better yardstick for the UK than Australia - which has many advantages over Europe and should do a lot better than any country in Europe.

Spoke with my ex-wife who lives in Telford.  Her sister-in-law is employed on reception at the local hospital.  She became ill and self-isolated over 2 weeks ago.  Whilst she is feeling better her brother has been very ill for 10 days now in bed at home.  Neither has been tested.

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

1 minute ago, Gbye grey sky said:

To be fair Italy, Spain and France are also recording mortality rates of 10%.

Exactly.  It doesn't mean mortality is really that high, it means that there are many thousands of cases going unreported.  I'm not convinced by the suggestion that the UK will end up any worse than those countries. 

• Like 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Just now, Marisawright said:

Exactly.  It doesn't mean mortality is really that high, it means that there are many thousands of cases going unreported.  I'm not convinced by the suggestion that the UK will end up any worse than those countries. 

I made that very point earlier in the thread.

I agree though.  I cannot fathom how they deem that the UK will have 2-3 times the number of deaths as Italy, France or Spain.

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

9 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

I agree though.  I cannot fathom how they deem that the UK will have 2-3 times the number of deaths as Italy, France or Spain.

Difficult to say because testing has been so little and way too sporadic for a picture to be built up.

Strong feeling that many opportunities have been lost and decision making seems questionable, point in question is opening large scale testing in a car park at Gatwick airport, not exactly a centre of population, it seems to have had hardly any takers!

I think the piece about how long and how severe the UK will suffer is based simply around the failure to get testing, tracing and quarantining underway early enough and about how under resourced everything is, but I feel like we will do no worse than Italy or Spain, which of itself is a pretty sad analogy. 

One of the biggest question marks is the quality of the cabinet, they were chosen because they supported brexit and little else and that is becoming quite clearly a problem with a attachment to populism as an answer to many complex problems, whether that is greater or less than elsewhere is difficult to say except that those countries with nationalistic leaderships seem to be having the most difficulty organising to meet the challenges posed by covid 19

I started to self isolate about 5 weeks ago in anticipation of this becoming a problem for the oldies with health issues, I find it difficult to understand how the govt did not appreciate how it was going to develop. 

• Like 1

I guess they don't want widespread panic which would probably occur if they revealed the true numbers involved. On the other hand if they downplay it too much people will ignore the isolation stuff. Tricky.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

They wont 

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

15 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Exactly right. The morality rate isn’t 10%. The rate of how many have died against the amount who have been tested is 10%. I do not know the percentages but based on the fact only those that end up in hospital (apart from a few people) get tested it is reasonable to think that for every one tested there’s a great deal more at home just coping with it and/or having light symptoms, in the hundreds if not thousands. 

• Like 1

A police chief has said his force is only “a few days away” from introducing measures such as road blocks and searching shopping trolleys, as people continue to flout coronavirus regulations.

Northamptonshire Police Chief Constable Nick Adderley said a “three-week grace period” is over in the county and the force will now be issuing fines and arresting people breaking the rules.

He said further measures will also be implemented should people continue to flout the regulations, including “marshalling” supermarkets and checking the items in baskets and trolleys.

Are UK supermarkets still bad with people panic buying? Things seem to have gone quiet here. Although in saying that I’m doing the online shopping so not going near the shops, but the local groups seem to be calm.

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

37 minutes ago, The Pom Queen said:

A police chief has said his force is only “a few days away” from introducing measures such as road blocks and searching shopping trolleys, as people continue to flout coronavirus regulations.

Northamptonshire Police Chief Constable Nick Adderley said a “three-week grace period” is over in the county and the force will now be issuing fines and arresting people breaking the rules.

He said further measures will also be implemented should people continue to flout the regulations, including “marshalling” supermarkets and checking the items in baskets and trolleys.

Are UK supermarkets still bad with people panic buying? Things seem to have gone quiet here. Although in saying that I’m doing the online shopping so not going near the shops, but the local groups seem to be calm.

I was reading about this earlier today. It seems he was suggesting that people were buying food/grocery items that he deemed to be non essential. Something of a social media backlash followed and he backtracked on his comments, particularly as the legislation does not provide police with the power to do this (restrict food purchases or search shopping trollies to make arbitrary decisions on this)

• Like 1

:evilface_frowning_s

44 minutes ago, The Pom Queen said:

No Pom, the shops have plenty of everything on the shelves, they make you queue outside and only let a few in at a time, think you are limited to a few items also

• Like 1

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

1 hour ago, The Pom Queen said:

I reckon the roads are running at 30% - plenty of cars out and about ,which is wrong 

Most  supermarkets  are full of stock - the limitations of 2 tins of each item ,have gone 

My brother in law is a truck driver - delivering food .

Some guys have been laid off , as some shops are fully stocked. 

• Like 1

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

4 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

No more panic buying and shops well stocked. Supermarkets very good regarding the 2 metre social distancing. People queue up outside in a line 2 metres apart and are allowed in as someone leaves (store staff stood by the door give the nod when you can go in). Most supermarkets have arrows on the floor so you have to follow them which means you’re not bumping into any other shopper. If the shopper in front of you is slow, you just have to be patient and hang back until they’ve moved forward. It sounds all strange but it’s working well.  Roads are much quieter but still more cars than should be I think. My drive to work is bliss.  Not me yet but a few of my colleagues have been stopped by police asking where they are going and in what way is it an essential journey. We all have letters to show police saying we are key workers so no problem but it shows the police are on it. The weather this bank holiday weekend is forecast sunny and warm which will be a nightmare as there will be some dumb people who will ignore the lockdown and head for the beach or parks. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

No more panic buying and shops well stocked. Supermarkets very good regarding the 2 metre social distancing. People queue up outside in a line 2 metres apart and are allowed in as someone leaves (store staff stood by the door give the nod when you can go in). Most supermarkets have arrows on the floor so you have to follow them which means you’re not bumping into any other shopper. If the shopper in front of you is slow, you just have to be patient and hang back until they’ve moved forward. It sounds all strange but it’s working well.  Roads are much quieter but still more cars than should be I think. My drive to work is bliss.  Not me yet but a few of my colleagues have been stopped by police asking where they are going and in what way is it an essential journey. We all have letters to show police saying we are key workers so no problem but it shows the police are on it. The weather this bank holiday weekend is forecast sunny and warm which will be a nightmare as there will be some dumb people who will ignore the lockdown and head for the beach or parks. 

The queuing and distancing at the supermarkets is exactly the same here.  Seems to be working well.  Hardly anyone on the roads but I come across plenty of people running, cycling, skateboarding and rowing on the river.  Our weather is also glorious -  but we are a smaller town and I'd say most people know the rules by now.  I do notice the police driving around - probably keeping a check that all is OK.

Edited by Toots
  • Like 2

Found Heinz Salt Reduced baked beans large can at Coles yesterday.  Far more stock available now.  Rigid controlling of entry numbers.  All good 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

Shops are back to normal here. Plenty of toilet roles and anything else you need.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

Shops are back to normal here. Plenty of toilet roles and anything else you need.

There still seems to be no hand sanitizer to buy anywhere. Have you seen any ?

There hasn't been any for months.

I made my own but not as nice as the stuff you buy.

• Like 1

I want it all, and I want it now.

1 hour ago, Paul1Perth said:

You must have gone on a good day! There is still a limited supply of toilet paper and no hand sanitiser anywhere.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Drumbeat said:

You must have gone on a good day! There is still a limited supply of toilet paper and no hand sanitiser anywhere.

My wife went to Aldi down Marmion yesterday. Said they didn't even have restrictions on amounts bought. We are in a pretty quite suburb, our local IGA has most things now. Got toilet paper last week and they have plenty in.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Paul1Perth said:

My wife went to Aldi down Marmion yesterday. Said they didn't even have restrictions on amounts bought. We are in a pretty quite suburb, our local IGA has most things now. Got toilet paper last week and they have plenty in.

You were asked about hand sanitizer ?

I want it all, and I want it now.