Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

simmo

Corona Virus

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

If your point is that younger people - and those without serious underlying health conditions - really do not have a great deal to fear with this virus then you should know that it is this very belief that has led to behaviours such as packing Bondi Beach and other incidents of that type.

The term protecting the NHS conveys a hidden message.  And that message is that if the health service becomes overwhelmed then younger people who become seriously ill with this virus will risk not having access to life-saving equipment, nurses and doctors.

Why do you feel it acceptable to only terrorise older people and those with underlying health conditions?

Where did he mention terrorising older people ?

He actually said that the nhs was there to protect the elderly .

And yes there is a danger the nhs will be overwhelmed - have you seen what is going on, in italy and spain.

I thought it was a well balanced post - and then I read your reply .

The two dont go together .

  • Thanks 1

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

Where did he mention terrorising older people ?

He actually said that the nhs was there to protect the elderly .

And yes there is a danger the nhs will be overwhelmed - have you seen what is going on, in italy and spain.

I thought it was a well balanced post - and then I read your reply .

The two dont go together .

Perhaps you need to read the whole exchange.

Or perhaps, like him, you are suffering also under the illusion that COVID19 represents a threat only to the elderly and those with existing serious underlying conditions.

I watched a moving and interesting interview on Channel 4 with a doctor in Gwent a couple of days ago.  He said that the 15 patients in their hospital currently in the COVID19 ICU were all under 60.

If the NHS gets overwhelmed then it will happen with younger and older patients alike but the outcomes will be much more pronounced for younger adults.  Simply because if the NHS doesn’t become overwhelmed then younger people have a much greater chance of survival.

If people are adhering to social distancing out of a concern for the elderly in society that is laudable and isn’t a problem.  But when a number of people disregard social distancing because they perceive that the virus holds no threat to them personally then the message needs to be changed because if the number of severe cases overwhelms the health service it could easily be those very individuals suffering the consequences.

 

  • Like 2

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Boris Johnson’s condition has worsened and he’s been taken into intensive care.  Terrible news, I hope he pulls through. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

Boris Johnson’s condition has worsened and he’s been taken into intensive care.  Terrible news, I hope he pulls through. 

And so do the chinese .

A world leader in intensive care , because of their mistakes .

 

  • Like 4

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bunbury61 said:

And so do the chinese .

A world leader in intensive care , because of their mistakes .

 

I here,  man city manager  pep Guardiolas mom has died due to covid 19 .

Not good 


BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

Boris Johnson’s condition has worsened and he’s been taken into intensive care.  Terrible news, I hope he pulls through. 

Yes not good news but he’s in the right place.....when he went to hospital yesterday I thought it must be something to do with breathing otherwise he wouldn’t go.....not good to speculate so just hope he gets over it.....

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

Where did he mention terrorising older people ?

He actually said that the nhs was there to protect the elderly .

And yes there is a danger the nhs will be overwhelmed - have you seen what is going on, in italy and spain.

I thought it was a well balanced post - and then I read your reply .

The two dont go together .

Honestly mate I wonder sometimes.....it doesn’t matter what you say.....he has no idea what’s going on here.....the messsges we are getting from our government and health service......hopefully some good can come out of Boris going into hospital.....it might make those that are not taking it seriously rethink their behaviour.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, calNgary said:

I read that too and being home with a L driver who wants to go out and clock up hours it did touch home BUT they were over 30 km from home, if they had been driving around their own suburb i bet they wouldnt have been fined, on saying that ,taking a learner out isnt a necessity really so maybe they would, and should've said no to the kid like hubby and i are having to do. All driving tests etc are cancelled anyway so there is no rush.

   Cal x

I've taken the youngster out twice and was planning another one today. Might have a rethink. We drove round Joondalup the other day, saw a few police cars, police academy is based there and nobody seemed to mind. City Centre was really quite.

Mark McGowan was having a laugh about the guy getting fined for eating a kebab after a run and said that's quite acceptable here.

Beach and park was busy yesterday although people are mostly sat round in pairs with plenty of space between them. A warden came and told them as long as people aren't grouping together they're fine.

Tennis courts in a small park near us still open. 2 courts 4 people. Might be slightly different rules away from big cities?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, calNgary said:

I read that too and being home with a L driver who wants to go out and clock up hours it did touch home BUT they were over 30 km from home, if they had been driving around their own suburb i bet they wouldnt have been fined, on saying that ,taking a learner out isnt a necessity really so maybe they would, and should've said no to the kid like hubby and i are having to do. All driving tests etc are cancelled anyway so there is no rush.

   Cal x

I've taken the youngster out twice and was planning another one today. Might have a rethink. We drove round Joondalup the other day, saw a few police cars, police academy is based there and nobody seemed to mind. City Centre was really quite.

Mark McGowan was having a laugh about the guy getting fined for eating a kebab after a run and said that's quite acceptable here.

Beach and park was busy yesterday although people are mostly sat round in pairs with plenty of space between them. A warden came and told them as long as people aren't grouping together they're fine.

Tennis courts in a small park near us still open. 2 courts 4 people. Might be slightly different rules away from big cities?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, calNgary said:

Similar argument to whats the difference in hubby and i not being allowed to go out on our boat in the middle of the bay away from everyone but food markets with lots of people are still in operation.. At the end of the day blanket rules were put in place for everyone's safety, we were told to leave home only for essential purposes, shopping, working, health matters, yep some lose out and cant do what they want but better than being dead . I guess trying to cater each persons /families individual circumstances is impossible hence we have these blanket rules we need to abide by.

   Cal x

WA must be a bit different. I saw people launching boats at Hillary's yesterday and there's a few out. I think the cops are checking how many are on board and if there's more than 2 or not family then you'd be in trouble.

I'm expecting the beach and park to be busy again today but with people in pairs sat well apart. Plenty out swimming, surf skis, boards. As long as people keep social distance I think the cops and wardens have been instructed a bit differently here. More common sense I think.

I'm sure if numbers go up though and there's person to person contamination there'll be bigger clampdowns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

I think she’s needs to apologise, give an assurance she won’t do it again and then be let off or the fine be lowered to $100.   The blame is largely on the mum as she made it possible.  We all know most 17 year olds don’t always think straight.  

As I expected, her fine has been withdrawn this morning by the police.

Deputy Police Commissioner Shane Patton has revealed the $1625 fine on L plater Hunter Reynolds.

"We are going to be withdrawing that infringement this morning," he told radio station 3AW.

He said officers need to use discretion while policing the stay at home rules.

Edited by Parley
  • Like 1

I want it all, and I want it now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

It's rather obvious isn't it, they are doing many, many more tests than the uk, the important statistic is deaths, Germany below 2,000, Uk more than 4,000,

Germany, 8.1 hospital beds per 1,000 population and the UK, 2.6

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/apr/06/matt-hancock-biotech-germany-coronavirus-health-system

Germany catching up fast now BTD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yes not good news but he’s in the right place.....when he went to hospital yesterday I thought it must be something to do with breathing otherwise he wouldn’t go.....not good to speculate so just hope he gets over it.....



Absolutely.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

P.s , if the chinese had locked this down in 2019 , when it was alleged to have started , the world wouldn't be in this mess now .

If they had locked wuhan down , and prevented any travel in or out of china , this could have been contained .

But the chinese new year was allowed to take place , with people free to travel to the likes of New York,  rome and milan .

It's no coincidence that these places are some of the hardest hit .

Yep, our visitors, niece and her boyfriend are teachers in Shanghai. They had booked to come and stay with us ages ago, when the Chinese New Year holidays were on. She said that everyone that could was leaving Shanghai as the weather and pollutipn was terrible. The week before they left they couldn't even let the kids out at break time because it was so polluted. The news about the virus and lockdown in Wuhan came the second week they were here. They ended up staying an extra week with us, unsure what to do. A lot of their friends from Shanghai had gone off all over the place and were planning on using the extra time for what they thought would just be extra holiday.

Our niece and boyfriend decided to go back to the UK where all the family is. They are still there and stuck there for the forseeable future. Her boyfriends visa expired, Chinese embassy is closed and they'll have to wait. Luckily they are still teaching on Shanghai time, e-learning, and getting paid.

This is their second stint in China and they say don't trust any news coming out of there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Parley said:

As I expected, her fine has been withdrawn this morning by the police.

Deputy Police Commissioner Shane Patton has revealed the $1625 fine on L plater Hunter Reynolds.

"We are going to be withdrawing that infringement this morning," he told radio station 3AW.

He said officers need to use discretion while policing the stay at home rules.

I’m not surprised. Hopefully she will be grateful to have been let off and will have learnt a lesson in the importance of obeying rules.  That or she will be on another long distance driving lesson again today thinking stuff the police!

Edited by Tulip1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope Boris Johnson pulls through. He doesn’t look too good just now.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An 80 year old Tasmanian man who was a passenger on the Ruby Princess cruise ship has become the third person to die from coronavirus in the state. 

Tasmania has recorded two other deaths.

An elderly man died earlier this month at the Royal Hobart Hospital and an elderly woman died in the North West Regional Hospital.

All three deaths in Tasmania were associated with the Ruby Princess cruise ship, which docked in Sydney in March and has been linked to hundreds of COVID-19 cases.

There are 89 confirmed coronavirus cases in Tasmania, including the three deaths.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, starlight7 said:

Hope Boris Johnson pulls through. He doesn’t look too good just now.

we have just had an update.....hes still in intensive care but conscious and not on a ventilator so just using the oxygen mask.....I think hes been like that for the past 24 hours so thats got to be a positive that he hasn't deteriorated any further.....mind you some of the Dr's on the radio shows are saying its going to take him weeks to fully recover his strength.....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive always been a glass half full type......always look for a positive no matter what the situation and you can normally find one.....Boris going into hospital and receiving the care he is getting might just have such an affect on him that he decides to pump billions into the NHS after all this is over.....I for one would fully back any increase to national insurance or tax as long as all the money was going into the NHS.....we need a good NHS and this crisis has really shone a light on the struggles and the needs of our NHS.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/04/2020 at 09:50, Paul1Perth said:

I've taken the youngster out twice and was planning another one today. Might have a rethink. We drove round Joondalup the other day, saw a few police cars, police academy is based there and nobody seemed to mind. City Centre was really quite.

Mark McGowan was having a laugh about the guy getting fined for eating a kebab after a run and said that's quite acceptable here.

Beach and park was busy yesterday although people are mostly sat round in pairs with plenty of space between them. A warden came and told them as long as people aren't grouping together they're fine.

Tennis courts in a small park near us still open. 2 courts 4 people. Might be slightly different rules away from big cities?

This is from the RACQ 

Image may contain: possible text that says 'L ATTENTION LEARNER DRIVERS! It's still ok to undertake any travel considered essential with a supervisor who lives with you Don't go for a drive to get your hours up RACQ'

  • Thanks 1

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

Scaremongering at its best. This is a company set up by Bill Gates who is on the board of many pharmaceutical company's, they have got a lot of criticism in the past.

Edited by Perthbum

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/04/2020 at 19:20, Gbye grey sky said:

Perhaps you need to read the whole exchange.

Or perhaps, like him, you are suffering also under the illusion that COVID19 represents a threat only to the elderly and those with existing serious underlying conditions.

I watched a moving and interesting interview on Channel 4 with a doctor in Gwent a couple of days ago.  He said that the 15 patients in their hospital currently in the COVID19 ICU were all under 60.

If the NHS gets overwhelmed then it will happen with younger and older patients alike but the outcomes will be much more pronounced for younger adults.  Simply because if the NHS doesn’t become overwhelmed then younger people have a much greater chance of survival.

If people are adhering to social distancing out of a concern for the elderly in society that is laudable and isn’t a problem.  But when a number of people disregard social distancing because they perceive that the virus holds no threat to them personally then the message needs to be changed because if the number of severe cases overwhelms the health service it could easily be those very individuals suffering the consequences.

 

2nd paragraph - once again , where did you assume that I think that covid 19 only affects older people , and those with underlying health conditions  ?

Put it up !

And there isnt a perhaps about it 


BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×