Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

simmo

Corona Virus

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Drumbeat said:

There was a couple on the news last night (in South America I think) asking to be rescued from a cruise that started on March 15th! Why would you even consider going overseas then??

Stupidity ? I must admit when all this first started you did see / read/ hear comments about ,''pfft its only flu, im not losing /wasting/ cutting short my holiday''... Now its biting some on the butt.. 

If they get rescued it should be at their cost in this situation.

  Cal x

  • Like 4

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, calNgary said:

Stupidity ? I must admit when all this first started you did see / read/ hear comments about ,''pfft its only flu, im not losing /wasting/ cutting short my holiday''... Now its biting some on the butt.. 

If they get rescued it should be at their cost in this situation.

  Cal x

I remember seeing the English guy on holiday in Spain saying " it's just flu, have a beer". A lot of people saw it and thought maybe he's right maybe we're overeacting. 

I watch the news now and all the media people criticise whatever the government, any government, did then or are doing now. We see an inordinate amount of news from the US and I'm sorry to say that the ABC and SBS in particular are almost gloating when they show the latest Trump quote.

It doesn't take a genius to predict that the US and especially their big cities would get hit bad, they are doing their best with what they have like all other governments. It's time to back in your government, do as you're asked and back them in. There's too much criticism every day. The media are talking with the benefit of hindsight, ir's easy then.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just seen the Ruby Princess has turned up in Port Kembla with about 200 sick people on board. What were they thinking? Looks like another big stuff up by someone. Don't know why it didn't go into Sydney.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

Just seen the Ruby Princess has turned up in Port Kembla with about 200 sick people on board. What were they thinking? Looks like another big stuff up by someone. Don't know why it didn't go into Sydney.

Don't think it's a stuff up at all, it's to allow easier access for medics to asses the crew left on board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

Just seen the Ruby Princess has turned up in Port Kembla with about 200 sick people on board. What were they thinking? Looks like another big stuff up by someone. Don't know why it didn't go into Sydney.

Think it was refused entry , port Kembla is in NSW so it’s all a bit confusing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The police may be going a bit overboard in their policing.

A 17 year old learner driver getting a driving lesson from his mum in the passenger seat was fined $1600 this morning in Melbourne.

Seems over the top when there is no risk to anyone.

  • Like 1

I want it all, and I want it now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Paul1Perth said:

We have a lot more space Parley. Unless you live inner City in a flat or something we generally have bigger houses, gardens, big back yards and pergolas where we can sit outside and not feel so cooped up. 

I know where we used to live in the UK, near Stockport and Hyde, the place was mainly small terraced houses, lots of countyside and the pennines close by. I know though that if those people that lived in the terraces all wanted to get out and exercise, even though there seems plenty of open space in normal times, during this time you would still struggle to maintain social distancing, just through sheer numbers.

On top of that the weathers better here, you're not packed in with the central heating on.

That is exactly right Paul.  A couple of weeks ago another poster on here tried to argue that parts of Melbourne and Sydney are almost as densely populated as London and Birmingham.  But this ignores how densely populated the suburbs and towns of England are.

I used to live 25 miles from central London in a real commuter town (Woking).  I lived in a flat and there were thousands of flats within a 1 mile radius with just one single small park (which was always busy on a sunny day).  Now I live less than 30kms outside Brisbane and although a lot of people live in the Redlands suburbs the majority of properties are detached houses with outdoor space and many parks and walkways all around.

Social distancing is much easier here than equivalent places in the UK.

  • Thanks 1

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Parley said:

The police may be going a bit overboard in their policing.

A 17 year old learner driver getting a driving lesson from his mum in the passenger seat was fined $1600 this morning in Melbourne.

Seems over the top when there is no risk to anyone.

I read that too and being home with a L driver who wants to go out and clock up hours it did touch home BUT they were over 30 km from home, if they had been driving around their own suburb i bet they wouldnt have been fined, on saying that ,taking a learner out isnt a necessity really so maybe they would, and should've said no to the kid like hubby and i are having to do. All driving tests etc are cancelled anyway so there is no rush.

   Cal x

  • Like 2

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, calNgary said:

I read that too and being home with a L driver who wants to go out and clock up hours it did touch home BUT they were over 30 km from home, if they had been driving around their own suburb i bet they wouldnt have been fined, on saying that ,taking a learner out isnt a necessity really so maybe they would, and should've said no to the kid like hubby and i are having to do. All driving tests etc are cancelled anyway so there is no rush.

   Cal x

What is the difference to being in the home to being in the car ?

There is no risk to anyone outside the family unit if they don't leave the car.

The mum said they will appeal in court so we will see what happens.

  • Like 2

I want it all, and I want it now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Parley said:

What is the difference to being in the home to being in the car ?

There is no risk to anyone outside the family unit if they don't leave the car.

The mum said they will appeal in court so we will see what happens.

Similar argument to whats the difference in hubby and i not being allowed to go out on our boat in the middle of the bay away from everyone but food markets with lots of people are still in operation.. At the end of the day blanket rules were put in place for everyone's safety, we were told to leave home only for essential purposes, shopping, working, health matters, yep some lose out and cant do what they want but better than being dead . I guess trying to cater each persons /families individual circumstances is impossible hence we have these blanket rules we need to abide by.

   Cal x

  • Like 3

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Rallyman said:

Some of the first few pages of comments in the thread make interesting reading 

Essentially my point, but yes I agree.


Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

That is exactly right Paul.  A couple of weeks ago another poster on here tried to argue that parts of Melbourne and Sydney are almost as densely populated as London and Birmingham.  But this ignores how densely populated the suburbs and towns of England are.

I used to live 25 miles from central London in a real commuter town (Woking).  I lived in a flat and there were thousands of flats within a 1 mile radius with just one single small park (which was always busy on a sunny day).  Now I live less than 30kms outside Brisbane and although a lot of people live in the Redlands suburbs the majority of properties are detached houses with outdoor space and many parks and walkways all around.

Social distancing is much easier here than equivalent places in the UK.

"Another poster"......are you for real?

The point we were discussing was density of population and how this virus can spread.....parts of Melbourne and Sydney have areas as densely populated as London.....if you want to argue that fact then maybe you should take it up with the people that make up these statistics.....but its true.....granted there are not as many densely populated areas but they are there whether you want to believe it or not.....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Parley said:

What is the difference to being in the home to being in the car ?

There is no risk to anyone outside the family unit if they don't leave the car.

The mum said they will appeal in court so we will see what happens.

I’m not sure what rules you have in place there but here it’s non essential travel so they would have broken that rule.  Whilst many here are saying things like theres no risk etc, the theory behind it is that if everyone continued to make unnecessary car journeys there would as always be a certain amount of accidents. Those accidents will take the emergency services away from other priorities needed right now. Not only ambulances will be needed but people in those accidents will be taken to hospitals and taking up the time of doctors and nurses who are needed for more important things right now. That learner driver could have caused a pile up of several cars, so could any driver and then suddenly there’s many people needing to be taken to hospital. If your rules are the same or they disobeyed your rule of 30km as you’ve mentioned they were in the wrong. It wasn’t a necessary journey, they just didn’t bother listening and obeying what their government has told them.  It’s harsh but I think mum should pay the fine and perhaps start leading by example and not encourage her young son to have disregard of the law. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

I’m not sure what rules you have in place there but here it’s non essential travel so they would have broken that rule.  Whilst many here are saying things like theres no risk etc, the theory behind it is that if everyone continued to make unnecessary car journeys there would as always be a certain amount of accidents. Those accidents will take the emergency services away from other priorities needed right now. Not only ambulances will be needed but people in those accidents will be taken to hospitals and taking up the time of doctors and nurses who are needed for more important things right now. That learner driver could have caused a pile up of several cars, so could any driver and then suddenly there’s many people needing to be taken to hospital. If your rules are the same or they disobeyed your rule of 30km as you’ve mentioned they were in the wrong. It wasn’t a necessary journey, they just didn’t bother listening and obeying what their government has told them.  It’s harsh but I think mum should pay the fine and perhaps start leading by example and not encourage her young son to have disregard of the law. 

Actually the driver was a pretty girl so she will probably get let off. The police are reviewing it.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/too-far-from-home-teen-driver-fined-for-driving-lesson-with-her-mum-20200406-p54hhe.html


I want it all, and I want it now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Yep, my wife is a nurse and they are struggling to get enough PPE. The wards where the covid patients are though are seriously locked down and isolated and she says the nurses and doctors in there get most things they need.

She's working today and we'd be daft to not be a bit worried about going.

Big respect to her. Hope she keeps safe and well x

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Parley said:

Actually the driver was a pretty girl so she will probably get let off. The police are reviewing it.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/too-far-from-home-teen-driver-fined-for-driving-lesson-with-her-mum-20200406-p54hhe.html

I hope not for that reason.  I lost sympathy when rather than the mum say we are sorry, just didn’t think and we won’t do it again she came out with a corker....I thought it was educational!!!!

Edited by Tulip1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Parley said:

Actually the driver was a pretty girl so she will probably get let off. The police are reviewing it.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/too-far-from-home-teen-driver-fined-for-driving-lesson-with-her-mum-20200406-p54hhe.html

I think she’s needs to apologise, give an assurance she won’t do it again and then be let off or the fine be lowered to $100.   The blame is largely on the mum as she made it possible.  We all know most 17 year olds don’t always think straight.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

I remember seeing the English guy on holiday in Spain saying " it's just flu, have a beer". A lot of people saw it and thought maybe he's right maybe we're overeacting. 

I watch the news now and all the media people criticise whatever the government, any government, did then or are doing now. We see an inordinate amount of news from the US and I'm sorry to say that the ABC and SBS in particular are almost gloating when they show the latest Trump quote.

It doesn't take a genius to predict that the US and especially their big cities would get hit bad, they are doing their best with what they have like all other governments. It's time to back in your government, do as you're asked and back them in. There's too much criticism every day. The media are talking with the benefit of hindsight, ir's easy then.

And with all due respect paul , people in oz , staying off the beach , and out of the parks in the u.k .

We have all seen the pictures from the london parks , and the beaches in sydney - what planet are these people on ?

I dont know the severity of the virus , so I wont get involved .

But I will say , my mate had 2 relatives hospitalised yesterday , one in a coma .

The one relative was only 57 .

The germans were being held up , as a torch bearer , on how to deal with the virus ,only last week .

First world healthcare - test, test,test - now all of a sudden germany has twice as many covid 19 cases as the u.k .

This has a long way to run yet .


BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bunbury61 said:

And with all due respect paul , people in oz , staying off the beach , and out of the parks in the u.k .

We have all seen the pictures from the london parks , and the beaches in sydney - what planet are these people on ?

I dont know the severity of the virus , so I wont get involved .

But I will say , my mate had 2 relatives hospitalised yesterday , one in a coma .

The one relative was only 57 .

The germans were being held up , as a torch bearer , on how to deal with the virus ,only last week .

First world healthcare - test, test,test - now all of a sudden germany has twice as many covid 19 cases as the u.k .

This has a long way to run yet .

P.s , if the chinese had locked this down in 2019 , when it was alleged to have started , the world wouldn't be in this mess now .

If they had locked wuhan down , and prevented any travel in or out of china , this could have been contained .

But the chinese new year was allowed to take place , with people free to travel to the likes of New York,  rome and milan .

It's no coincidence that these places are some of the hardest hit .


BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

Bullshit. I don’t know this specific case, I can’t read it because I will get to upset. 
‘If the poor girl got Coronavirus and died then that is what killed her. To say that’s not what killed her because she would have died anyway??? That makes no sense! If we go off that reasoning then no one has died of the virus because let’s face it..in your words.. “they would have died anyway” 
 

I get so angry with people who think that people with existing illness or people over 60 don’t matter.  It isn’t just people who are terminally ill.  underlying health conditions can be diabetes, arthritis and asthma.

 

People die every day, most older men die with prostate cancer not because of it as 90% of men will have it at 85, some deaths are 100% being put down to the vius as they had it  but some died of other causes not related to the virus.

I know you probably wont read this article but its not from a quack its from a well respected medical journalist 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51979654?SThisFB&fbclid=IwAR2s2D5GgeKE4uhHQbQwLt-kk8tz4ncw2aDKBRPPFbo2p3h26GyhxjCfnIc

 

Edited by Perthbum

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

People with underlying health conditions are also far more vulnerable to COVID 19 because they are far more likely to be seeing nurses or physicians, visiting hospitals or medical centres etc, due to their condition.

Often they may need to be transported or even physically assisted.

They have therefore more opportunity to be exposed to the virus than someone in good health.

What appalls me about this particular debate is that certain individuals who initially tried to wave this virus away as a touch of flu and derided every measure to mitigate spread are now taking the tack that most of the victims were just about to die of something else anyway.

If we have learned nothing else it is that when a lethal novel virus appears in the future we must err on the side of caution.

the approach of just about every country affected has been to protect the vulnerable.....that is the elderly/frail and/or people with certain underlying health conditions.....heart....lung....etc etc.....a weakened immune system......reason being is because its those people that are going to struggle with this virus thus putting a huge strain on the health services......The message we are constantly getting is to protect the NHS because they fear it being overrun with cases......its been pointed out a number of times in various different ways and figures quoted by our health experts as being 80% of the population will suffer very mild or no symptoms if they catch it and the danger is that they can spread it without even knowing hence why we are in this lockdown and most other countries are employing a similar tactic......we all know that 80% is not 100% and this is were simmo and people like him come into the equation......but the single most important message we have been getting is to shield the vulnerable and protect the NHS and the only way to do this is isolation......

Fortunately so far we have only had one perfectly healthy young person succumb to this.....most victims are of the older generation.....in Italy the average is about 79 - 80 so it gives everyone a good idea of those people that are more at risk. No one is underplaying this....no one is making light of other peoples suffering and sacrifices.....so point scoring and improving your own stock within the group is an unnecessary side show.........

We are all grown ups here......most if not all of us have concerns for our families and ourselves......we are all expressing our opinions and views pretty much all based on info we receive from our governments and health officials......Is there any need to condemn someone so coldly as being insensitive and unfeeling based on a view or opinion......after all most of us are so opinionated anyway its only fair that we should be able to listen to another view without being so appalled.......

I honestly believe that once this is all over there will be other facts to come out of this......things are going to change and views will change as this progresses.....but at the moment we can all only work with the facts we receive and our own personal experience......so please respect that.....if I say a young person died of this virus and they had underlying health conditions I am not being a heartless wa@#er.....it is just the facts that are reported and how it is reported over here.....could you imagine the terror and fear in young families if they heard a 5 year old had died of this without knowing the true facts.....likewise suggesting this might mutate into something far more serious before it actually does and without knowing the true facts about this virus.....is it fair to terrorise people to get them to do something or behave in a certain way? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

And with all due respect paul , people in oz , staying off the beach , and out of the parks in the u.k .

We have all seen the pictures from the london parks , and the beaches in sydney - what planet are these people on ?

I dont know the severity of the virus , so I wont get involved .

But I will say , my mate had 2 relatives hospitalised yesterday , one in a coma .

The one relative was only 57 .

The germans were being held up , as a torch bearer , on how to deal with the virus ,only last week .

First world healthcare - test, test,test - now all of a sudden germany has twice as many covid 19 cases as the u.k .

This has a long way to run yet .

It's rather obvious isn't it, they are doing many, many more tests than the uk, the important statistic is deaths, Germany below 2,000, Uk more than 4,000,

Germany, 8.1 hospital beds per 1,000 population and the UK, 2.6

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/apr/06/matt-hancock-biotech-germany-coronavirus-health-system

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Perthbum said:

People die every day, most older men die with prostate cancer not because of it as 90% of men will have it at 85, some deaths are 100% being put down to the vius as they had it  but some died of other causes not related to the virus.

I know you probably wont read this article but its not from a quack its from a well respected medical journalist 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51979654?SThisFB&fbclid=IwAR2s2D5GgeKE4uhHQbQwLt-kk8tz4ncw2aDKBRPPFbo2p3h26GyhxjCfnIc

 

I don't think you get it, it is the scale of the infections and the scale of the deaths, no quarantining-up to 150,000 deaths in a 3 month period.

Do just tell me how the country would physically cope with that and the aftermath of in society.

You go on and on about deaths from other causes, they are spread out over the year and many are anticipated, these virus deaths are in addition to those deaths and even where the underlying illnesses are contributing the deaths are happening in a concentrated time scale.

It is not only the deaths but the numbers who would be incapacitated and unable to do anything for up to 3 months and who may never properly recover.

The real issues from this lockdown are only slowly going to be recognised as transportation and agricultural production is hit, food production and supply is going to become an issue, no one is telling us what the flow of trucks from Europe is like, we import 60% of our food on JIT basis.

Imagine if a huge part of our population was unable to function because of the absence of key people, police, medicos, food retail, water and energy supples.

Your argument about this virus being no worse than flu, prostate cancer or TB simply do not stand up to critical analysis, leaving on one side the very morally suspect element of simply writing off the old and physically compromised. 

Edited by BacktoDemocracy
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kungfustu said:

the approach of just about every country affected has been to protect the vulnerable.....that is the elderly/frail and/or people with certain underlying health conditions.....heart....lung....etc etc.....a weakened immune system......reason being is because its those people that are going to struggle with this virus thus putting a huge strain on the health services......The message we are constantly getting is to protect the NHS because they fear it being overrun with cases......its been pointed out a number of times in various different ways and figures quoted by our health experts as being 80% of the population will suffer very mild or no symptoms if they catch it and the danger is that they can spread it without even knowing hence why we are in this lockdown and most other countries are employing a similar tactic......we all know that 80% is not 100% and this is were simmo and people like him come into the equation......but the single most important message we have been getting is to shield the vulnerable and protect the NHS and the only way to do this is isolation......

Fortunately so far we have only had one perfectly healthy young person succumb to this.....most victims are of the older generation.....in Italy the average is about 79 - 80 so it gives everyone a good idea of those people that are more at risk. No one is underplaying this....no one is making light of other peoples suffering and sacrifices.....so point scoring and improving your own stock within the group is an unnecessary side show.........

We are all grown ups here......most if not all of us have concerns for our families and ourselves......we are all expressing our opinions and views pretty much all based on info we receive from our governments and health officials......Is there any need to condemn someone so coldly as being insensitive and unfeeling based on a view or opinion......after all most of us are so opinionated anyway its only fair that we should be able to listen to another view without being so appalled.......

I honestly believe that once this is all over there will be other facts to come out of this......things are going to change and views will change as this progresses.....but at the moment we can all only work with the facts we receive and our own personal experience......so please respect that.....if I say a young person died of this virus and they had underlying health conditions I am not being a heartless wa@#er.....it is just the facts that are reported and how it is reported over here.....could you imagine the terror and fear in young families if they heard a 5 year old had died of this without knowing the true facts.....likewise suggesting this might mutate into something far more serious before it actually does and without knowing the true facts about this virus.....is it fair to terrorise people to get them to do something or behave in a certain way? 

If your point is that younger people - and those without serious underlying health conditions - really do not have a great deal to fear with this virus then you should know that it is this very belief that has led to behaviours such as packing Bondi Beach and other incidents of that type.

The term protecting the NHS conveys a hidden message.  And that message is that if the health service becomes overwhelmed then younger people who become seriously ill with this virus will risk not having access to life-saving equipment, nurses and doctors.

Why do you feel it acceptable to only terrorise older people and those with underlying health conditions?

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Congratulations 2

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Just seen the Ruby Princess has turned up in Port Kembla with about 200 sick people on board. What were they thinking? Looks like another big stuff up by someone. Don't know why it didn't go into Sydney.

It was off Sydney.  It had to leave 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×