register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

simmo

Corona Virus

15 minutes ago, Gbye grey sky said:

I don’t think so.  3 weeks ago Britain was almost business as usual which is why there are so many cases there now.

I am not being complacent but almost everyone here has been looking very closely at what is happening in the UK and the USA (not to mention Italy and Spain) and taking note.

Rubbish.....over 3 weeks ago I was going to work with gloves on.....some schools had already closed....we were being advised to prepare ourselves for the possibility of severe restrictions......we were being advised not to go to work if we did not need to......businesses were closing etc etc......13th March sport was cancelled pretty much.....18th March schools officially closed.....we went into official lockdown nearly 2.5 weeks ago.......

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Parley said:

Australia is handing the situation remarkably well so far, although a few big stuffups like the Cruise ships.

But only 35 deaths is pretty remarkable given how many in USA, UK and Europe.

3 weeks ago we had 35 deaths.....your population is about a third the size of ours.....you are about 2 - 3 weeks behind us.....

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

Just now, kungfustu said:

3 weeks ago we had 35 deaths.....your population is about a third the size of ours.....you are about 2 - 3 weeks behind us.....

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

Our curve is already turning down. We won't end up like the UK the way it is going here.

I want it all, and I want it now.

Just now, Parley said:

Our curve is already turning down. We won't end up like the UK the way it is going here.

I hope you are right.....

1 hour ago, kungfustu said:

she had underlying health problems apparently.....but sad all the same....13 year old boy a few days ago with no underlying health issues at all and a the 21 year old girl that died a week or so ago apparently died of a heart attack and not the virus (directly)......this is the problem with the numbers....if you test positive for the virus and die then that is put as the cause of death and its not always true.

Are you going to justify every death saying oh they had some other health issue ?

Who cares. Carona Virus is what caused her to die

• Like 1

I want it all, and I want it now.

41 minutes ago, Gbye grey sky said:

I don’t think so.  3 weeks ago Britain was almost business as usual which is why there are so many cases there now.

I am not being complacent but almost everyone here has been looking very closely at what is happening in the UK and the USA (not to mention Italy and Spain) and taking note.

Not everyone though , woman fined $1000 for having a party at her house on Saturday night in Darwin 

backpackers in sydney openly flouting requirements, most but certainly not everyone , not sure what it’s going to take to get through to some people to be honest. 

1 minute ago, Parley said:

Are you going to justify every death saying oh they had some other health issue ?

We keep hearing it effects most with underlying health conditions which I’m sure is true but you’re right, that girl would still be alive today had she not caught it and so would untold others. Certainly they may well have died prematurely because of their conditions but not this week.  They died because they caught the virus. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Parley said:

I assume you are talking about the 5 year old girl?

underlying health issues have been quoted by officials......had she not had underlying health issues she may well have walked away from it.....probably without even realising she had it.

Incidentally....have I been justifying every death with underlying health issues?

Who cares?????.....I care.....I want to know the facts not assumptions and guesswork......not scaremongering and rubbish.....its important that we know the numbers....the facts so we can better deal with the situation.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, kungfustu said:

Rubbish.....over 3 weeks ago I was going to work with gloves on.....some schools had already closed....we were being advised to prepare ourselves for the possibility of severe restrictions......we were being advised not to go to work if we did not need to......businesses were closing etc etc......13th March sport was cancelled pretty much.....18th March schools officially closed.....we went into official lockdown nearly 2.5 weeks ago.......

3 weeks ago the London Tube was still packed with commuters.  I feel I know more about what has been going on in the UK than you do.

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

If posters want to debate about who knows best then please PM each other. It’s just boring for the rest of us. 

A valid point of view is fine, just don’t hi jack the thread.by discussing it endlessly.

Thank you

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Gbye grey sky said:

3 weeks ago the London Tube was still packed with commuters.  I feel I know more about what has been going on in the UK than you do.

please dont be ridiculous.....you pluck one statistic from hundreds and then use it as tool to try and justify what you believe.....public transport has been running through out the whole crisis......tubes were reduced dramatically in response to the crisis and as a result those people trying to get to work (key workers) were packed on a few tube trains.....I think you will find thats been sorted now.....the simple fact you are trying to tell me you know more about whats going on here from the other side of the world is quite ridiculous.....stop cherry picking your quotes and facts if you want to be taken seriously.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kungfustu said:

please dont be ridiculous.....you pluck one statistic from hundreds and then use it as tool to try and justify what you believe.....public transport has been running through out the whole crisis......tubes were reduced dramatically in response to the crisis and as a result those people trying to get to work (key workers) were packed on a few tube trains.....I think you will find thats been sorted now.....the simple fact you are trying to tell me you know more about whats going on here from the other side of the world is quite ridiculous.....stop cherry picking your quotes and facts if you want to be taken seriously.

I am afraid that you have no idea what is going on over here.  3 weeks ago the UK was on a high growth curve as were we two weeks ago.

Fortunately the measures brought in since have started to show results.  Sad as the 35 deaths are most of them were cruise ship passengers.

There is definitely worse to come here over the next couple of weeks - but we are not going to be where the UK is now in 3 weeks time fortunately.

• Like 1

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

1 hour ago, Parley said:

Thank you @Parley I’m fed up of people trotting out that line. It’s like their death doesn’t matter because they had underlying health issues 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

1 hour ago, Rallyman said:

Not everyone though , woman fined $1000 for having a party at her house on Saturday night in Darwin 

backpackers in sydney openly flouting requirements, most but certainly not everyone , not sure what it’s going to take to get through to some people to be honest. 

Would be extraordinary if it was everyone.

I believe the models show that if 80% follow the rules then the curve can be managed and the health service will cope.  If 90% do then the infection rate can be reduced.  The figures in Queensland over the past few days are suggesting that 90% are complying.

I have noticed a seismic shift in attitude particularly in the last couple of weeks. I think the Morrison government has got the right measures in place and compliance is good from what I have seen.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

I think Australia has jumped on this much faster than the UK. Nipped it in the bud. Maybe the weather helped, and you may need to keep an eye on it over winter, but I would feel much safer in Australia. 

The UK screwed up big time. People were flying in from china with no checks. My auntie flew in from Spain last week and then went shopping. Unbelievable. Thankfully they wised up pretty fast. Still not there yet with testing and equipment but better than the early days.

Just sad we've had so many avoidable deaths. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Parley said:

I have underlying health issues.

Blood cancer. Been in remission ten years.

I've spent the last six months doing hard landscaping in the garden, and I'm probably the fittest and strongest I've been for years.

I can walk ten miles without a thought, and I could ride 50 miles without any problems. I'd be fitter than half the people on here, and certainly fitter than half the people my age.

I have a good few years left in me.

But if this bat virus gets me, the news reports will say it's ok, because he had underlying health issues.

Edited by newjez
  • Like 4

Getting pretty anxious at the amount of medical staff that are getting ill and/or dying, mostly from lack of PPE or treating people who are yet to be confirmed. I'm part of several nursing groups on FB and it's pretty dire across the whole country. I'm prepared to go on placement if they allow us to in the coming weeks but I'd be lying if it said it didn't make me nervous. A lot of staff exposed were young and had no health problems! 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Parley said:

No it wasant, many people are dying of other conditions but because they had also contracted the virus it is put down as that when in fact they would have died anyway of the other terminal illness they had.

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

40 minutes ago, Sandgroper said:

Why are the Chinese no good at cricket?

they eat the bats

• Like 1

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

1 hour ago, newjez said:

I have underlying health issues.

Blood cancer. Been in remission ten years.

I've spent the last six months doing hard landscaping in the garden, and I'm probably the fittest and strongest I've been for years.

I can walk ten miles without a thought, and I could ride 50 miles without any problems. I'd be fitter than half the people on here, and certainly fitter than half the people my age.

I have a good few years left in me.

But if this bat virus gets me, the news reports will say it's ok, because he had underlying health issues.

Exactly @newjez . I’ve already had this happen to me in hospital with something totally unrelated to Coronavirus. Basically the hospital messed up an operation but their excuse was that it was because I had chronic health issues. I don’t know if you have ever looked at any legal health cases that come up but every time they use the excuse that the patient had a health issue. The reason I got looking was I heard about a certain nurse who had messed up with the dose on a patients meds she read the chart wrong. This nurse, had once messed my own meds up and told the other nurse it was me who was confused. Anyway the other patient wasn’t so lucky and died.  Then I remember years later reading the court transcript and the Drs who were called up to give evidence and they all said his death was down to pre existing health conditions. Well I’m sorry but that’s rubbish.

I don’t know if I can find the case now but if you google you should find that one or many similar.

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

33 minutes ago, Perthbum said:

No it wasant, many people are dying of other conditions but because they had also contracted the virus it is put down as that when in fact they would have died anyway of the other terminal illness they had.

Bullshit. I don’t know this specific case, I can’t read it because I will get to upset. 
‘If the poor girl got Coronavirus and died then that is what killed her. To say that’s not what killed her because she would have died anyway??? That makes no sense! If we go off that reasoning then no one has died of the virus because let’s face it..in your words.. “they would have died anyway” 

I get so angry with people who think that people with existing illness or people over 60 don’t matter.  It isn’t just people who are terminally ill.  underlying health conditions can be diabetes, arthritis and asthma.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, The Pom Queen said:

Bullshit. I don’t know this specific case, I can’t read it because I will get to upset. 
‘If the poor girl got Coronavirus and died then that is what killed her. To say that’s not what killed her because she would have died anyway??? That makes no sense! If we go off that reasoning then no one has died of the virus because let’s face it..in your words.. “they would have died anyway” 

I get so angry with people who think that people with existing illness or people over 60 don’t matter.  It isn’t just people who are terminally ill.  underlying health conditions can be diabetes, arthritis and asthma.

I'm going to be like @newjez here and sit on the fence.  When I was in hospital the poor bloke in the bed next to me went into cardiac arrest.  I was quite delerious at the time but I remember numerous attempts with the defribulator then it going quiet and seeing a nurse attaching a tag to his big toe before wheeling his lifeless body away.  Did Covid 19 kill him or did his heart pack up? If it wasn't Covid 19 would it have been the next thing?

Don't ask me....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, simmo said:

I'm going to be like @newjez here and sit on the fence.  When I was in hospital the poor bloke in the bed next to me went into cardiac arrest.  I was quite delerious at the time but I remember numerous attempts with the defribulator then it going quiet and seeing a nurse attaching a tag to his big toe before wheeling his lifeless body away.  Did Covid 19 kill him or did his heart pack up? If it wasn't Covid 19 would it have been the next thing?

Don't ask me....

A friend had someone die of what Drs had said was Coronavirus but they wrote on the form pneumonia because the results hadn’t come back (not in Oz)

‘It’s terrible isn’t it @simmo having people die around you. I don’t know how the nurses do it. My last stint in ICU a few months back we had 5 go just in the morning before I got transferred back on to the ward.  
‘I think for the poor gentleman then yes it may well of been his heart and you could be right. I suppose we will never know. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1