register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

simmo

Corona Virus

1 hour ago, simmo said:

Must be why they put me on 2 types antibiotics. They seem to be drawing bad stuff out through my mouth and gums. I had a good day yesterday though, as in I stayed awake all day. Disturbing lucid dreams and audio hallucinations like someone driving nails into wood - tap tap tap pause then tap tap tap again.

I've lost 7 kilos and rediscovered a neck I forgot I had.

I'm eating a bit better now (even if it does go straight through me). Every organ in my body feels like it's had a good kicking but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

My work colleague was taken into hospital yesterday, exactly the same symptoms as me.

Anyway it's looking like you are going to be stuck with me a little while longer.

Xx

Brilliant news.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

@simmo, how are you?

Ignore, I hadn’t realised you’d posted an update when I posted, sorry. 

And one of the reasons why populism does not work when faced with a situation which cannot be spun away

Germany conducts 500,000 tests in a week, Sky News reports. The British government is aiming to be testing 10,000 per day by tomorrow.

Coronavirus cases and deaths worldwide

Here’s an update of the top twenty countries for number of coronavirus cases worldwide, according to the Johns Hopkins University tracker:

US: 116,505 cases, 1,925 deathsItaly: 92,572 cases, 10,023 deathsChina: 81,999 cases, 3,299 deathsSpain: 72,248 cases, 5,812 deathsGermany: 56,202 cases, 203 deathsFrance: 38,105 cases, 2,317 deathsIran: 36,408 cases, 2,517 deathsUK: 17,312 cases, 1,021 deathsSwitzerland: 14,076 cases, 264 deathsNetherlands: 9,819 cases, 640 deathsSouth Korea: 9,478 cases, 144 deathsBelgium: 9,134 cases, 353 deathsAustria: 8,188 cases, 68 deathsTurkey: 7,402 cases, 108 deathsCanada: 5,448 cases, 61 deathsPortugal: 5,170 cases, 100 deathsNorway: 3,981 cases, 23 deathsAustralia: 3,640 cases, 14 deathsIsrael: 3,619 cases, 12 deathsBrazil: 3,477 cases, 111 deaths

You can get the full list here. There have been 649,904 confirmed cases, with 30,249 fatalities.

Note. Germany 203 deaths, Uk 1,021 deaths

3 hours ago, simmo said:

Must be why they put me on 2 types antibiotics. They seem to be drawing bad stuff out through my mouth and gums. I had a good day yesterday though, as in I stayed awake all day. Disturbing lucid dreams and audio hallucinations like someone driving nails into wood - tap tap tap pause then tap tap tap again.

I'm eating a bit better now (even if it does go straight through me). Every organ in my body feels like it's had a good kicking but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

My work colleague was taken into hospital yesterday, exactly the same symptoms as me.

Anyway it's looking like you are going to be stuck with me a little while longer.

Xx

fantastic news pal …….that's brightened up my night …..x

• Like 2

Voted Best Newcomer 2010 by PIO Members.......Thank you....x

11 hours ago, Dusty Plains said:

True, but being interested only in what voters think, is a shared interest among most leaders. Those candidates who have an interest in what the majority of voters also have an interest in, are the candidates that stop being candidates and become leaders. They get elected. This system has worked for Trump, Morrison and Boris.

I suspect that Trump does not want to be counted among world leaders, any more than Scott Morrision would want to be a world leader. Neither seem to be either singularly or predominantly drawn to matters outside of domestic issues, unless those matters have a perceived domestic impact.  

I remember watching child of our time, and they did an experiment where they asked kids if they wanted a sweet now, or many sweets later. They took the sweet now.

Populism is being offered a sweet now. Sadly it doesn't help you prepare for pandemics.

• Like 2

Just did Joe wick's exercise on YouTube.

Thirty minutes. If I can't get out of the house, that will have to do.

Thought it was quite good.

strange how some people with no symptoms at all and do not feel ill are  testing positive in routine tests around the world, they are saying millions more could have had the virus and not even known they had had it.

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

3 hours ago, simmo said:

Xx

Did you test positive mate? hope you are back on your feet rapid

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

1 hour ago, newjez said:

I remember watching child of our time, and they did an experiment where they asked kids if they wanted a sweet now, or many sweets later. They took the sweet now.

Populism is being offered a sweet now. Sadly it doesn't help you prepare for pandemics.

Enjoyed watching that. My youngest was a millennium baby. 

Well worth a watch 

He mentions flu in the u.k , and how many deaths per year , and the death rate in comparison to the coronavirus .

I think approx 8,000 people a year die from flu in the u.k 

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

15 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

Well worth a watch 

He mentions flu in the u.k , and how many deaths per year , and the death rate in comparison to the coronavirus .

8500 deaths from flu over 6 months, 1000 deaths from covid over 3 weeks with around 975 in one week, projected deaths of 20,000 even with quarantine measures in place.

This virus is brand new, highly infectious and more virulent because it is new, so we either accept quarantine or accept that the majority of the retired will die.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

this is better than the original

Edited by kungfustu

9 hours ago, simmo said:

Xx

Great news simmo 👍

• Like 2

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

Good to hear you are on the mend Simmo! 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, simmo said:

Xx

Keep on keeping on ,simmo.  Good to hear you are on the improve.

• Like 1

On 27/03/2020 at 16:32, kungfustu said:

Sorry but that is just one of those stupid statements.......the cities and towns of Europe are no more populated than the cities and towns of Australia.....if you look at the charts for the UK.....regions of London have 7000 - 16000 people per KM......regions of Sydney and Melbourne are similar 7000 - 19000......When you look at towns like Guildford and High Wycombe they have a density of about 500 people per KM.....if you look at the maps it shows most of the populated areas of Australia as being a similar density......because Australia is such a huge country does not mean you live in a less densely populated area than any other town or city in the world......obviously there are exceptions.....Cities in India.....Monaco etc but to suggest a problem that Europe suffers from is too many people is ridiculous.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_districts_by_population_density

https://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/Previousproducts/3218.0Main Features702016-17?opendocument&tabname=Summary&prodno=3218.0&issue=2016-17&num=&view=

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/australia-population-density-fastest-growing-regions-2019-3

No, he was spot on with the first statement. Sydney and Melbourne and even other cities around Aus have the same problem, too many people in not enough space. We can all see from TV how crammed together the people in Italy live. We saw the pictures of those very small apartments when they were singing on the balconies.

It's just common sense that being crammed together like that leads to much worse spread and more cases.

When life is normal a lot of people love those places and lots go there on holiday. The vibrancy of having so many people around is exciting and some people love it.

In situations like we have at the moment the more space you have the better.

Latest in Aus is no more than 2 people out together now. Me and the wife went for a bike ride down the coast yesterday. There's a brilliant shared path up and down the coast for km's. It was packed, people all over the place, parks with lots of people in them, loads out surfing. 

Just about everyone was keeping a metre or 2 between them but if anyone had been affected there were just too many people. The local skate park was packed with kids when we went by it. Today skate parks, outdoor gyms and play areas, closed. Makes sense and we'll just have to get through it.

• Like 1

On 28/03/2020 at 18:37, newjez said:

I don't understand why, as he is completely incompetent. I mean seriously? USA back to work by Easter? By Easter they are going to have five new York situations, and twelve more lining up. The USA has got a hard couple of months ahead of it, and trump is going to make it harder. I can only assume his popularity is rising as it often does during the beginning of a crisis type situation. How he behaves after Easter will determine whether he gets elected.

He said he'd like to see it over by Easter. Didn't say it would be, which is what the media changed it to be.

I thought the Mayor of New York was coming out with some common sense comments for a few days, then when Trump suggests that New York and some other places of high numbers of cases should be locked down suddenly he comes out with statements that it's against the law, un American, not going to happen. The number of flights still going round America is amazing and frightening. Apparently loads of New Yorkers think it's absolutely fine to jet off to Florida, California, wherever. 

Apparently Trump doesn't quite carry the same weight as he thought. Who's running the show?

On 28/03/2020 at 21:47, BacktoDemocracy said:

Trump's only concern is to get elected and he knows that is dependent on jobs and income, he knows unemployment pay is so bad for people that his cult following are going to be rapidly disillusioned with him and he realises that many businesses once closed now are unlikely to reopen at the end of this and that is going to hit his chances.

I doubt that he cares at the moment about the death rate, he will start to though as he realises the number who are unemployed, now at 3 mill, are often without health insurance which is provided by their employer so the death rate is about to rocket as the public health system collapses.

Will Chump nationalise the private hospitals?

There was a news report on different countries and who had the most critical care beds per 100 people. Much to my surprise America had the most in the world. Would never have thought that.

These cruise ship passengers that Fremantle have had to sort out are causing real problems. 28 extra cases of Covid needed to be treated on one ship. A lot of them are at the hospital where my wife has gone to work today. 

17 hours ago, simmo said:

Xx

That sounds terrible Simmo. Good to get a bit of first hand experience on how bad it is.

Hope you're on the mend soon mate.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

Well worth a watch 

And what is your point ?

If the serious measures put in place around lockdown and social distancing weren't there you have hundreds of thousands dead from COVID-19.

1000 per day dying in Italy. Are you happy for that to happen in the UK ?

Edited by Parley
  • Like 4

I want it all, and I want it now.

18 hours ago, simmo said:

Xx

That sounds terrible Simmo. Good to get a bit of first hand experience on how bad it is.

Hope you're on the mend soon mate.

Seen the State of India? It was always going to be one of the worst places. Looks like they have totally lost control. There and Africa are going to be a nightmare for months.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 27/03/2020 at 16:22, BacktoDemocracy said:

What is the point of your last sentence,  I could comment that as our countries face a pandemic which is sweeping away many of the most vulnerable in society and tearing apart society there appear to be a significant number who can only think about its affects on their lifestyle.

Surely the affect on your lifestyle is all you have to measure how bad it is BTD? 

As for the bleeding heart brigade I see their latest thought bubble is to let out loads of prisoners. You would think that one of the safest places to becwould be prison, where being in enforced isolation is enforced. If they stop visitors it should be pretty damn safe.

They are just the type of people if released would just ignore the lock down restrictions if they're let out too. Not exactly reliable when advise is given out, specially by governments and law agencies.

We are well and truly locked down now though, as from last night only gatherings of 2 people, skate parks, outdoor gyms, kids parks and play areas closed. Not surprising as yesterday there were hundreds of people along the coast walking and riding bikes. Loads out surfing, swimming. Most were trying to do the right thing and keeping distance but the shear numbers of people out was way too many to be safe. I went past our local skate park  Friday after school had turned out and it was packed. 

Beaches are still open and we are allowed to exercise so may go down for a swim or ski paddle later. My youngest is down there already, out on his own on his paddle board. 

Got to do the right thing mate.

Edited by Paul1Perth

The government is supporting employers to keep their employees by subsidising their pay to the tune of $1500 per fortnight.

For 6 months at this stage.

It will be a long time before we are back in surplus after all this.

I want it all, and I want it now.