Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

simmo

Corona Virus

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, kungfustu said:

yeh hang in there mate.....it will get better.....

he has got beer, what more do you need.


Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, newjez said:

If you ever had doubts as to the power of bots on the internet.

As soon as trump put forward the idea of the economy restarting in April, I have seen wave after wave of supporting posts on social media. It's quite amazing. I'm almost believing it myself.

The cure can't be worse than the disease.

I even saw on post on another site that said a quick death could have been a blessing for many of these senile old dears. That was posted on the day we lost a healthy 19 year old in the UK.

Trump really wants the markets to go up, and he is doing everything he can short of actually tackle the disease to make them go up.

His popularity in the polls is at an all time high.

Seems most people approve of how he is handling the virus situation.


I want it all, and I want it now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, newjez said:

I do have to say that I have been very impressed with Boris and his team. This would have crippled the UK if it had hit before the election, and I dread to think how Corbyn would have coped.

Boris has made mistakes. That's fair enough, this is uncharted territory. What makes him statesman like is that he has owned his mistakes and corrected them.

I may even vote for him next time if he keeps this up.

Before you get too misty eyed lets inject a bit of realism here, Boris is a leader of a govt which has cut 20,000 police officers, cut 17,000 beds out of the health system,  has made nurses pay for their own training, has been quite happy to live with with huge vacancy levels in medical staff, has allowed hospital maintenance to slide to such an extent that many hospital managements were expressing concerns about the safety of staff, they have presided over cuts to Councils such that the public health duties have been seriously curtailed and systematically starved the aged care system of proper funding, such that many hospital beds were occupied by the well but incapable old.

On a personal note Boris's messaging has been confused and contradictory as he has battled his own libertarian beliefs against the draconian measures which were needed to make a real impact on the spread of this virus, China's actions, however much we may decry them have been effective, as have been S Korea's test and detain all contacts.

I know that there are many on here who say they are sick of politics but it is politics and politicians who control our countries and when they are incompetent or make ideological driven decisions, those decisions impact us, the citizens of their countries.At the end of all this they must be held accountable for the cuts which have reduced our capability to cope with an emergency such as this.

In my country, the UK, the Health Minister  and his dept has failed to anticipate anything, as country after country has succumbed to the virus, hospitals here have been left without sufficient protective equipment and deliveries are still behind demand and only now are contracts for ventilators being entered into, there has been no mass screening undertaken, I suspect because we have neither the staff nor testing kits and we do not have the personnel to do any tracing or quarantining.

So at the risk of being shot for bringing everybody up sharply with a message of reality I do think that we need to remember that there has been a willingness by western styled govts to see the economy and their laissez faire politics as far more important than the safety of their citizens. If you want to see the nadir of those views then look at the US and Brazil.

  • Like 1
  • Congratulations 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, newjez said:

I do have to say that I have been very impressed with Boris and his team. This would have crippled the UK if it had hit before the election, and I dread to think how Corbyn would have coped.

Boris has made mistakes. That's fair enough, this is uncharted territory. What makes him statesman like is that he has owned his mistakes and corrected them.

I may even vote for him next time if he keeps this up.

 

41 minutes ago, Gbye grey sky said:

I have been impressed too.  I like the way he takes the tough questions and doesn’t dodge them.

He has rightly dropped the jokey persona which I wasn’t convinced he was capable of.

 

5 minutes ago, Parley said:

His popularity in the polls is at an all time high.

Seems most people approve of how he is handling the virus situation.

Everybody loves Boris, Trump and Scomo, I'll just shut up.

But

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/25/brazil-coronavirus-protests-get-out-bolsonaro

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/25/coronavirus-advice-from-mexicos-president-live-life-as-usual

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/25/bolsonaro-brazil-wouldnt-feel-anything-covid-19-attack-state-lockdowns

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/24/covid-19-climate-crisis-governments-coronavirus

Lets see where Chump's presidential ambitions take the US. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, simmo said:

Where can I get this fabled test?

You will only get the test if you are hospitalised I believe.  Which is why nobody will ever get a grasp of infection rates or mortality rates of COVID 19.  It is much the same here.

  • Like 2

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Parley said:

His popularity in the polls is at an all time high.

Seems most people approve of how he is handling the virus situation.

Yes, I understand he said he takes no responsibility for anything.  So he is in the clear.


Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

Before you get too misty eyed lets inject a bit of realism here, Boris is a leader of a govt which has cut 20,000 police officers, cut 17,000 beds out of the health system,  has made nurses pay for their own training, has been quite happy to live with with huge vacancy levels in medical staff, has allowed hospital maintenance to slide to such an extent that many hospital managements were expressing concerns about the safety of staff, they have presided over cuts to Councils such that the public health duties have been seriously curtailed and systematically starved the aged care system of proper funding, such that many hospital beds were occupied by the well but incapable old.

On a personal note Boris's messaging has been confused and contradictory as he has battled his own libertarian beliefs against the draconian measures which were needed to make a real impact on the spread of this virus, China's actions, however much we may decry them have been effective, as have been S Korea's test and detain all contacts.

I know that there are many on here who say they are sick of politics but it is politics and politicians who control our countries and when they are incompetent or make ideological driven decisions, those decisions impact us, the citizens of their countries.At the end of all this they must be held accountable for the cuts which have reduced our capability to cope with an emergency such as this.

In my country, the UK, the Health Minister  and his dept has failed to anticipate anything, as country after country has succumbed to the virus, hospitals here have been left without sufficient protective equipment and deliveries are still behind demand and only now are contracts for ventilators being entered into, there has been no mass screening undertaken, I suspect because we have neither the staff nor testing kits and we do not have the personnel to do any tracing or quarantining.

So at the risk of being shot for bringing everybody up sharply with a message of reality I do think that we need to remember that there has been a willingness by western styled govts to see the economy and their laissez faire politics as far more important than the safety of their citizens. If you want to see the nadir of those views then look at the US and Brazil.

Mistakes were definitely made.  This virus was underestimated.

Do, to a very large extent all politicians in Europe have been playing catch-up.  But, with Boris at least, I detect an air of humility.  Ideologically I do not agree with him but I will still give him credit where I believe it is due.  Maybe you are unable to do so but when push comes to shove his primary interest is saving lives, not the economy - at least - unlike Trump.

  • Like 2

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Gbye grey sky said:

Mistakes were definitely made.  This virus was underestimated.

Do, to a very large extent all politicians in Europe have been playing catch-up.  But, with Boris at least, I detect an air of humility.  Ideologically I do not agree with him but I will still give him credit where I believe it is due.  Maybe you are unable to do so but when push comes to shove his primary interest is saving lives, not the economy - at least - unlike Trump.

Boris is probably a nice bloke, but he is a narcissist and has surrounded himself with sycophants and sociopaths who influence him unduly because he is is like a cushion, always influenced by who last sat upon him. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, simmo said:

Where can I get this fabled test?

Ask Prince Charles.  He had no problem getting it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ssiri said:

 


True. Knowing that they can be OTT is more than half the battle won, in terms of being able to then take what they say with a pinch of salt

 

you have always though outside of the box mate, dont believe the hysterical hype, stay safe


Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Parley said:

His popularity in the polls is at an all time high.

Seems most people approve of how he is handling the virus situation.

Hardly surprising considering he's said he'll have it beat in the next couple of weeks. TREMENDOUS work Don.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Impressed hoe boris is handling this, can you imagine  if it was corbyn and abbot.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

You will only get the test if you are hospitalised I believe.  Which is why nobody will ever get a grasp of infection rates or mortality rates of COVID 19.  It is much the same here.

I don't know what the criteria is in Queensland but here in South Australia you can get tested if you are showing symptoms and have recently returned from overseas or have been in direct contact with a known case of COVID-19.  You certainly don't need to be hospitalised first.  They should be doing far more testing though and should be testing anyone who has had contact with a confirmed case, whether they are showing symptoms or not and should be testing anyone with symptoms.  The problem with this is it requires a lot of test kits and lots of people to administer the tests and I suspect we don't have enough of either.

  • Like 2

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving.

Dale Carnegie – 1888-1955, Author and Lecturer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

Before this is over I fear that this is going to touch every one of us either a family member, friend, colleague or acquaintance.

Me too 😞. Her family have been told she’s critical now.  I’m so worried about my family. I’ve obviously got to go to work everyday and they don’t even have masks they can give us 

  • Sad 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Elbow.png.5da4e0fcb3ad35bd3b9eea949ebb7c44.png

Cheers, Bobj.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We managed 9 holes of golf this morning. They had it organised very well, only one person at a time in the office/shop and everyone keeping their distance. 

Got round to the 8th tee and the guy running the show came round on a cart to tell everyone to finish their round then it's closing until further notice.

My son managed a shift at work today but says they might be closing as take away is hardly paying the wages.

The WA government is trying to handle 3 cruise ships coming into Freo. One with no Australians on board but no one elses would let them birth. The government seem to be doing a decent job and it's taking a lot of organising.

Big clampdowns on people returning from interstate, let alone abroad. I don't think they are going to be allowed home but have to go into self isolation somewhere they can make sure people are doing the right thing.

My wife is working today, at a hospital where a guy died last night. No masks and gloves are in short supply. Everyone is doing the best they can though so criticism does not help anything.

Noticed the bleeding heart, human rights, refugee advocates etc. Have been really quite. Must be because they're affected too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My mate lives in spain , 1800 arrests there for not abiding by the lockdown .

Sitting in the park , or not having a genuine reason for being out, can get you arrested and fined

Hes allowed to walk a mile to the shops to get a bit of shopping , that's his excercise 

Other than that , he is locked in .

 

  • Like 1

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clever.

 

  • Like 2

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

My mate lives in spain , 1800 arrests there for not abiding by the lockdown .

Sitting in the park , or not having a genuine reason for being out, can get you arrested and fined

Hes allowed to walk a mile to the shops to get a bit of shopping , that's his excercise 

Other than that , he is locked in .

 

We have some nice canal towpath walks by us , used by dog walkers , and people on bikes 

It was like the m6 the other day 😄

How long before they clamp down on that ?


BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bunbury61 said:

We have some nice canal towpath walks by us , used by dog walkers , and people on bikes 

It was like the m6 the other day 😄

How long before they clamp down on that ?

That is the major problem with Europe.  Too many people.

  • Like 2

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×