register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

simmo

Corona Virus

7 hours ago, Perthbum said:

Have you been tested? far more chance of it being the flu as the corano  virus only lasts a week to 10 days and people of your age would only get mild symptoms,, whatever it is stay safe.

Seriously? You are suggesting a diagnosis based on such limited data and close to zero medical knowledge?

Just read that two of the most recent British victims were a 21 year old woman with no underlying health conditions and a 37 year old man (diplomat in Hungary).

Whilst the ‘Spanish flu’ was an H1N1 virus rather than a Coronavirus the first wave affected the elderly and vulnerable more.  The virus then mutated and the second far more deadly wave mainly affected adults in their prime (aged 21-40).  There really is no way of knowing how the virus will affect anyone and the attitude that certain sectors will experience only mild symptoms has created a false sense of security amongst many which isn’t helping.

• Like 4

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

30 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

You do not get tested unless you are in hospital. 

Unless your Prince Charles or a celebrity like Idris Elba.

I want it all, and I want it now.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Parley said:

Unless your Prince Charles or a celebrity like Idris Elba.

Very true, and wrong. The media is saying Charles has mild symptoms and is continuing to work from home. He is clearly not in hospital but the reports say he met the criteria for testing 🤔

Edited by Tulip1

13 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

Very true, and wrong. The media is saying Charles has mild symptoms and is continuing to work from home. He is clearly not in hospital but the reports say he met the criteria for testing 🤔

I believe one of the criteria is close contact with someone with COVID 19 though I may be wrong.

The criteria for testing though needs to be widened considerably.  I would say, at a minimum everyone displaying symptoms and everyone carrying out essential services in healthcare, social care, retail,  even logistics.

We are trying to contain this blindfold.

• Like 3

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

57 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

You do not get tested unless you are in hospital. You cannot say people of that age would only get mild symptoms, a 21 year old girl with no underlying health issues died of it today.  That doesn’t sound very mild to me. It sound like you’re still playing it down. 

In the early days PB  played it down , and unfortunately , he is now stuck with it .

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

21 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

In the early days PB  played it down , and unfortunately , he is now stuck with it .

Not necessarily. It would be easy for him to get on track with it, could even say it’s far worse than I thought it would be. Either would be fine but he is like a dog with a bone, just can’t leave it. 

• Like 3

Someone from my mums side of the family is in intensive care tonight with it. She’s on a ventilator. She had asthma though. I’m hoping she recovers.     

it’s scary though, I read about the young girl today who died with no underlying health issues. There was a young man too

• Sad 6

Posted (edited)

It would be great if this proved a bit of a reset for human values. Some people think that progress and technology mean that we've beaten Mother Nature, that things will always carry on as they are or that we're invincible. Two short weeks prove otherwise; we live on a knife edge and should respect that. Taking everyday life for granted is wrong.

The News is scary at the moment and very humbling; the human race looks very weak very quickly in the face of such adversity. I hope this is remembered moving forward.

Human spirit is amazing when channelled correctly, it's a shame it takes something like this to prove it. Can't we live like that ordinarily?

Let's house the homeless, respect those who make a real difference to our lives, pay health workers/carers/teachers/difference makers what they deserve, half the bankers' pay, stop chasing the dollar, make less billionaires more thousandaires, stop making icons out of idiots, forget our differences and embrace our similarities, forego nationalism, stop the hate and negativity. It really shouldn't be that hard.

I'm not interested in this being political, bores the pants off me, just whoever is power, do it and people will support it. I don't feel that we learned from 2008, this feels like if we don't learn from this, we never will. And if that's the case, why bother fighting anything?

Edited by s713
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Just noticed recently that media presenters on radio or TV are suddenly using almost shrill voices, and in some cases conveying a sense of panic in their presentations when reporting on all things to do with Coronavirus /COVID-19. Yes we live in serious circumstances. But just sitting down with couple of drinks and watching the nightly news, I said to Mrs Dusty that there seems to be a clearly hyped -up version of the news on the telly with shrill voices and wide open eyes being the new norm by the presenters on each news bulletin.
I am a not s conspiracy theorist but it seems to me that the Corona Virus is good news for commercial news outlets. I have no doubt that the shrill voices, wide open eyes, and the sense of doom being deliberatley conveyed by media outlest, is for two reasons, namely
1. Get the viewing audience to feel insecure and they will be glued to the television and radio, so that:
2. Advertisers will pay any amount of money to the news channels to put their products in front of stressed consumers.
Mrs Dusty added that when we see Health Officials, and other officials as well as SCOMO and other pollies,  present  the state of the nation, they commonly present as clear,  calm yet deliberate voices.  Then, cut back to the news anchor ,and its all designed ( seemingly) to make us feel very insecure, to an extent that is not necessary.
Obviously the "NEWS" is making a fortune out of misery. Isn't that one of the the worst things that a person or an organisation can do?   

Sadly, whats new about that - Especially amongst the commercial channels?

My experience of Sky News UK, SBS and ABC however, seems less shrill and more like just delivering the news.

It would be great if this proved a bit of a reset for human values. Some people think that progress and technology mean that we've beaten Mother Nature, that things will always carry on as they are or that we're invincible. Two short weeks prove otherwise; we live on a knife edge and should respect that. Taking everyday life for granted is wrong.
The News is scary at the moment and very humbling; the human race looks very weak very quickly in the face of such adversity. I hope this is remembered moving forward.
Human spirit is amazing when channelled correctly, it's a shame it takes something like this to prove it. Can't we live like that ordinarily?
Let's house the homeless, respect those who make a real difference to our lives, pay health workers/carers/teachers/difference makers what they deserve, half the bankers' pay, stop chasing the dollar, make less billionaires more thousandaires, stop making icons out of idiots, forget our differences and embrace our similarities, forego nationalism, stop the hate and negativity. It really shouldn't be that hard.
I'm not interested in this being political, bores the pants off me, just whoever is power, do it and people will support it. I don't feel that we learned from 2008, this feels like if we don't learn from this, we never will. And if that's the case, why bother fighting anything?

Tend to agree that mother nature has a way of levelling and balancing everything. We certainly aren’t invincible or superior by any means, and shouldn’t take life for granted, anywhere.

4 hours ago, s713 said:

No, we won’t learn from this.....or at least the people who need to learn from this, won’t.

But I love the sentiments.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Quokka2005 said:

Someone from my mums side of the family is in intensive care tonight with it. She’s on a ventilator. She had asthma though. I’m hoping she recovers.     

it’s scary though, I read about the young girl today who died with no underlying health issues. There was a young man too

Before this is over I fear that this is going to touch every one of us either a family member, friend, colleague or acquaintance.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, ssiri said:

Sadly, whats new about that - Especially amongst the commercial channels?

My experience of Sky News UK, SBS and ABC however, seems less shrill and more like just delivering the news.

You may be right but my point is, that generally people predominantly consume therir news and information via commercial TV and radio, and in droves, when compared to the ABC and SBS. Without doubt, during the Australian Bushfires, commercial media was everywhere.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

You do not get tested unless you are in hospital. You cannot say people of that age would only get mild symptoms, a 21 year old girl with no underlying health issues died of it today.  That doesn’t sound very mild to me. It sound like you’re still playing it down. 

Vast majority of people get over it within 2 weeks, one young person dying out of the millions of younger people getting it or have already had it and didn’t even know is incredibly low. Far more people have had and will get the flu than have Had and will get the  corona virus. A lot of people think they have the corona virus but the vast majority will have the flu or a bad cold which infects millions more worldwide than the corona virus 

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

4 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

Before this is over I fear that this is going to touch every one of us either a family member, friend, colleague or acquaintance.

If it does the vast majority get over it, unfortunately some older friends or family with underlying health conditions will die the same as if they had the flu, it’s just like a member of your family getting the flu, vast majority get over it again like the flu.

they don’t know yet for certain as they will never know the true number of people who have had it if it is deadlier than the flu.

How typical. Banks looking to cash in on misfortune. The Government should impose much tougher regulations on these parasites

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52043896

Banks have been criticised by firms and MPs for insisting on personal guarantees to issue government-backed emergency loans to business owners.

The requirement loads most of the risk that the loan goes bad on the business owner, rather than the banks.

It means that the banks can go after the personal property of the owner of a firm if their business goes under and they cannot afford to pay off the debt.

Their main home would be protected but the bank could go after other assets.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, s713 said:

How typical. Banks looking to cash in on misfortune. The Government should impose much tougher regulations on these parasites

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52043896

Banks have been criticised by firms and MPs for insisting on personal guarantees to issue government-backed emergency loans to business owners.

The requirement loads most of the risk that the loan goes bad on the business owner, rather than the banks.

It means that the banks can go after the personal property of the owner of a firm if their business goes under and they cannot afford to pay off the debt.

Their main home would be protected but the bank could go after other assets.

They are offering help but expect a guarantee that they will get their money back. They are a business not a charity. Are you getting all your shopping needs, petrol and everything else you need free! Of course you aren’t.  Shops aren’t saying to people take what you want for free and maybe pay us back sometime but you don’t have to.  Businesses need help in this horrible situation and are being offered money in the form of loans. Why wouldn’t the lender want some sort of security they will get it back in the future?  As you’ve quoted, they won’t take their home into account but other assets. Would you think it ok if someone was driving around in their choice of three Bentleys yet didn’t pay back a loan and the lender couldn’t touch the Bentleys? 

Edited by Tulip1
  • Thanks 1

Its interesting reading whats going on in the states.....Trump is apparently contemplating lifting restrictions to get the economy moving again even though cases over there appear to be spiralling.......China on the other hand are close to declaring themselves "Corona free" and appear to be trying to repair the damage to their reputation caused by this virus......sending help around the world to other nations and in the process becoming the dominant force.....the global leaders.....China's economy will surge once again in the coming months just at a time when the states and the rest of Europe are up to their necks in the virus and struggling to cope.....Trump may be dropping the ball here.....interesting the battle between the two nations for dominance on this......The States could desperately do with some equipment......tbh I think we could all do with some medical equipment and China is a huge manufacturer of disposable equipment needed in the battle against this virus......there are not many other countries if any in the world with the capability of China to expand production of essential medical kits needed in the fight against this.......do you think Trump would go cap in hand to Bejing looking for help......no shame in asking for assistance......Boris should maybe consider it at a time when we still cannot test everyone and the NHS are struggling with the supply of their own safety equipment.

On 25/03/2020 at 08:24, simmo said:

Tbh I'm struggling.  I don't seem to have made any improvement in 2 weeks (tomorrow).  I'm not eating at all and my temp was 38.5 yesterday.  I have a gp telephone appointment tomorrow morning so will lay it on thick.

yeh hang in there mate.....it will get better.....

• Like 1

If you ever had doubts as to the power of bots on the internet.

As soon as trump put forward the idea of the economy restarting in April, I have seen wave after wave of supporting posts on social media. It's quite amazing. I'm almost believing it myself.

The cure can't be worse than the disease.

I even saw on post on another site that said a quick death could have been a blessing for many of these senile old dears. That was posted on the day we lost a healthy 19 year old in the UK.

Trump really wants the markets to go up, and he is doing everything he can short of actually tackle the disease to make them go up.

• Like 2

I do have to say that I have been very impressed with Boris and his team. This would have crippled the UK if it had hit before the election, and I dread to think how Corbyn would have coped.

Boris has made mistakes. That's fair enough, this is uncharted territory. What makes him statesman like is that he has owned his mistakes and corrected them.

I may even vote for him next time if he keeps this up.

18 minutes ago, newjez said:

I do have to say that I have been very impressed with Boris and his team. This would have crippled the UK if it had hit before the election, and I dread to think how Corbyn would have coped.

Boris has made mistakes. That's fair enough, this is uncharted territory. What makes him statesman like is that he has owned his mistakes and corrected them.

I may even vote for him next time if he keeps this up.

I have been impressed too.  I like the way he takes the tough questions and doesn’t dodge them.

He has rightly dropped the jokey persona which I wasn’t convinced he was capable of.

20 hours ago, Perthbum said:

Have you been tested? far more chance of it being the flu as the corano  virus only lasts a week to 10 days and people of your age would only get mild symptoms,, whatever it is stay safe.

Where can I get this fabled test?

You may be right but my point is, that generally people predominantly consume therir news and information via commercial TV and radio, and in droves, when compared to the ABC and SBS. Without doubt, during the Australian Bushfires, commercial media was everywhere.  

True. Knowing that they can be OTT is more than half the battle won, in terms of being able to then take what they say with a pinch of salt