register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

simmo

Corona Virus

18 hours ago, lewisant48 said:

The asthma guidelines in the UK seem quite muddied. Sometimes I'm reading "severe asthma" and other times just asthma. When they mention steroids and hospital admissions do they mean ongoing at the moment or historically? Because in the past I've been on steroids and been admitted into hospital to use a nebuliser to help me breathe but it hasn't happened in recent years because i haven't gotten ill. So coronavirus could cause this potentially. I called my doctors and got a call back and the doctor so rude to me, calling my request for an telephone appointment "strange" that i wanted to talk about whether i need a preventative inhaler prescribed and to try and clear up the guidance. I guess they're pushed to the limit at the moment.

Mate, just get a preventer and use it, just common sense. People here are talking about mixed messages and confusionn about schools being open. I've heard the announcements and I can only think that some people really are thick. I heard today that people are complaining because they said wash your hands but didn't say for 40 seconds or however long it's supposed to be. Soon have to tell people to breathe in and out and for how long.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Yes it is sad, but we are being asked to keep 1.2 metres from people and that's not possible if we stay on the same pavement. 

I am walking my lab so people do tend to give you a bit of distance anyway.

Perhaps it is the city mentality also.  Out in the sticks a smile and a greeting to people we pass is the norm.  I recall that it took me a while to get used to that after moving from Surrey/London.

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

6 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

If I'm walking slower than them, then they'll pull ahead of me and it's not an issue.  If I'm walking faster than them, I don't want to have to slow down and dawdle two metres behind them.  I'm walking on quiet streets, so crossing to the other side is really easy to do, there's hardly any traffic.   If it means I have to cross back again, who cares?  it's a few extra steps for my Fitbit.

Feel we are really lucky in Perth. We are still going to the beach swimming, ski paddling etc. Not many people there so it's easy to keep a distance. My youngest has been down there all morning.

1 hour ago, Gbye grey sky said:

Perhaps it is the city mentality also.  Out in the sticks a smile and a greeting to people we pass is the norm.  I recall that it took me a while to get used to that after moving from Surrey/London.

I would normally smile and say hello too.  Just respecting the rules now.

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

20 hours ago, lewisant48 said:

The asthma guidelines in the UK seem quite muddied. Sometimes I'm reading "severe asthma" and other times just asthma. When they mention steroids and hospital admissions do they mean ongoing at the moment or historically? Because in the past I've been on steroids and been admitted into hospital to use a nebuliser to help me breathe but it hasn't happened in recent years because i haven't gotten ill.

When you were in hospital before, did they talk about what ongoing treatment you needed  Were you given an asthma plan?  Do you use a salbutamol inhaler and if so, how often?

My sister has something called "brittle asthma".   Most of the time, she is very healthy and her breathing is better than mine.  However if she has an asthma attack - which is very rarely - it's like she falls off a cliff and it can be severe.  She's been in hospital a few times.   She is now on a preventer, even though she never wheezes, because those rare severe attacks are so dangerous - apparently people with brittle asthma are more likely to die from an attack than other asthmatics. 

So I would be trying to get an appointment to discuss it with your doctor.   

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

2 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

That is a bit sad to be honest.

I take the dog out twice per day.  I certainly don’t feel the need to totally shun everyone I pass or cross the road to avoid them.  I smile and say good morning or how are you as I pass.  In fact I am making more of an effort to do so though I do see the occasional person recoil as if I have lashed out at them.  The vast majority smile back and say hi too.

We must maintain our humanity through this.  Remember that there are lonely people out there and people’s mental health is every bit as important as physical well-being.

I must live in a very friendly place because a smile and a hello would be the normal when out. I went for a long walk on Sunday  and everyone I saw, which wasn’t that many, exchanged a greeting. I walked about 4 miles across countryside and no one went near anyone else, we would all move a safe distance away if about to pass each other. Someone called out greetings from afar and another said good afternoon from over here. Someone’s dog came near me and the owner was smiling saying you’re ok, it’s just us humans that we have to worry about. 

1 minute ago, Tulip1 said:

I must live in a very friendly place because a smile and a hello would be the normal when out. 

Here too.   Sydney was different, people tended to avert their eyes, I remember.   

I don't know why people are assuming I'm scowling at people when I cross the road.  It's just that I'm walking on streets which have narrow pavements and cars parked.  There's a big fashion for planting flowers on the nature strips here too, which is lovely but they invade the pavement as well.  Sometimes when my oh and I are walking together, we have to go single file.  If someone is coming towards me, I'll usually pass them with shoulders almost touching and I don't want to take that chance - and they might not appreciate it either. 

• Like 2

Got a call from the hospital today. It is getting a bit hectic there so my surgery is postponed indefinitely.

• Sad 4

I want it all, and I want it now.

Looking on the bright side, hospitals are among the most dangerous places to visit these days, so probably better off staying away.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Parley said:

Got a call from the hospital today. It is getting a bit hectic there so my surgery is postponed indefinitely.

I think most non urgent things are being cancelled. I guess it’s understandable although still a shame. 

Edited by Tulip1
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

I must live in a very friendly place because a smile and a hello would be the normal when out. I went for a long walk on Sunday  and everyone I saw, which wasn’t that many, exchanged a greeting. I walked about 4 miles across countryside and no one went near anyone else, we would all move a safe distance away if about to pass each other. Someone called out greetings from afar and another said good afternoon from over here. Someone’s dog came near me and the owner was smiling saying you’re ok, it’s just us humans that we have to worry about. 

Everyone here seems to be keeping to the 2 metre distance here.  I go for a couple of long walks every day and it's not hard to keep that distance between people I meet.  Everybody seems to be very upbeat about it.  I see most of the people in my street pottering around in their front gardens and a few of them are painting and doing jobs on their house before the winter starts.  Always get a cheery 'Hello' from them.  Things are quiet around town as cafes are closed (except for takeaway) pubs and cinema too.  

I’ve just done my quickest ever drive to work. The roads are so quiet. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

45 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

Only essential work in the UK

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

Thank you.jpg

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Perthbum said:

Sadly mine is, I wish it wasn’t! 

On 18/03/2020 at 13:41, simmo said:

The wife has it. She is about 2 days behind me.

We had to take the kids out of school (as per the guidelines).

My wife said the kids had sore throats about a week and a half ago so maybe they had a mild version.

Haven't seen you post in a few days Simmo. Hope you and your family have recovered and are well again

• Like 1

:evilface_frowning_s

10 hours ago, Marisawright said:

When you were in hospital before, did they talk about what ongoing treatment you needed  Were you given an asthma plan?  Do you use a salbutamol inhaler and if so, how often?

My sister has something called "brittle asthma".   Most of the time, she is very healthy and her breathing is better than mine.  However if she has an asthma attack - which is very rarely - it's like she falls off a cliff and it can be severe.  She's been in hospital a few times.   She is now on a preventer, even though she never wheezes, because those rare severe attacks are so dangerous - apparently people with brittle asthma are more likely to die from an attack than other asthmatics. 

So I would be trying to get an appointment to discuss it with your doctor.   

I have an asthma attack usually once a year and when it gets cold. I must admit I don’t use a preventer because it seems silly taking extra medication for a full year for something that may/may not happen. Touch wood I haven’t had a bad one for 2 years but prior to that I was in the hospital annually. 
I do have a nebuliser but for the Coronavirus they advise against it

• Like 2

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

10 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

Most people talk to you where I live - that's normal isnt it ?

Iam currently sat in spire parkway hospital after an mri on my knee 

Having a great laugh with the staff- that's brummies for you though .

The black country people are a level above that for friendliness 

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

8 hours ago, Parley said:

Thank you.jpg

And TEACHERS.

Who are being forced to work in close proximity and without any PPE.

• Like 5

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

4 hours ago, MacGyver said:

Haven't seen you post in a few days Simmo. Hope you and your family have recovered and are well again

Yes @simmo how are you and the family?

I see South Korea has taken a completely different approach 

Business as usual- life as normal  - but mass testing .

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

2 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

I do have a nebuliser but for the Coronavirus they advise against it

Any idea why?

I have always wondered why there are so many people in Italy with Covid-19.  This may be one of the reasons.  Until the corona virus there were 3 flights a week from Wuhan to Milan.  China owns a lot of Italy and most of its valuable commodities so there was frequent travel between China and Milan, the business hub of Italy.

14 hours ago, Perthbum said:

Same here too.

Same here too.

According to the transcript of Scomo’s speach last night, all jobs are essential. In that they support the economy and families.

Then there us reality.

• Like 1