register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

simmo

Corona Virus

5 hours ago, Parley said:

Seems that NSW and Victoria are about to announce a virtual lockdown of the state.

All non essential services to be closed.

Supermarkets, Pharmacies will be still be open and people can still go to these. But sounds like apart from that people must stay home.

I certainly hope they won't go so far as to make us stay home.  Currently I have dropped out of all social activities, but I value my daily walk.   It's amazing how quiet it is around Brunswick/Carlton/Fitzroy now - it's very easy to avoid people altogether. 

• Like 2

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

18 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I certainly hope they won't go so far as to make us stay home.  Currently I have dropped out of all social activities, but I value my daily walk.   It's amazing how quiet it is around Brunswick/Carlton/Fitzroy now - it's very easy to avoid people altogether. 

I assume a walk in the park is ok.

I have a dog and have to do the same.

• Like 1

I want it all, and I want it now.

Posted (edited)

Just so I understand this.  UK government is paying peoples wages that are unable to work due to the situation.

All the Aus government are going to do is to allow people to access their own pension early?

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/financially-stressed-workers-to-be-able-to-take-20-000-from-super-20200322-p54cmt.html

Seem very mean!

Edited by unzippy

20 minutes ago, unzippy said:

Just so I understand this.  UK government is paying peoples wages that are unable to work due to the situation.

All the Aus government are going to do is to allow people to access their own pension early?

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/financially-stressed-workers-to-be-able-to-take-20-000-from-super-20200322-p54cmt.html

Seem very mean!

I wonder if the Australian Government will introduce additional measures as things progress. They seem to be introducing measures incrementally, while signposting what the next steps will be, then announcing those steps and signposting the next one's. 

Australia is around 2 weeks (I think) behind the UK in terms of infection rates. It seems plausible that within the next week or two Australia will instruct everyone to stay home as the UK and others have done (early signs of that in NSW and Vic). I hope they look to the UK and other European countries and see the support for workers and emulate that.

:evilface_frowning_s

Rang my nan up just now for mothers day, as my grandad passed a few years ago she's on her own, she's upset at being more isolated than she already is. She has health issues. My mum and auntie and uncle are going round to visit but separately, I feel really bad that I can't be there aswell but it's for the best. I was planning on going home for a week over Easter but I think i'll have to stay here, as it'd mean getting in two trains or two coaches (they will be reduced or cancelled soon anyway) going through London, and my home town is one of the worst hit cities currently 😕 . 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MacGyver said:

I wonder if the Australian Government will introduce additional measures as things progress. They seem to be introducing measures incrementally, while signposting what the next steps will be, then announcing those steps and signposting the next one's. 

Australia is around 2 weeks (I think) behind the UK in terms of infection rates. It seems plausible that within the next week or two Australia will instruct everyone to stay home as the UK and others have done (early signs of that in NSW and Vic). I hope they look to the UK and other European countries and see the support for workers and emulate that.

There is no doubt that Australia is looking at both the UK and countries such as Italy. I think the Australian government has moved sensibly and at the right pace. You may recall that Australia moved early in terms of identifying the need to suspend mass gatherings for instance, well ahead of the UK and Italy.

Australia, being a Federation of States has seen individual states such as Tasmania or WA  close their borders, within a country, in order to prevent the spread of the virus within a population of 26 million. These moves are backed by the Federal Government.

Yet if I was in the UK I could travel "from Land's End to John o' Groats" and rub shoulders potentially with 68 Million people and nobody will stop me.

WHY? ..... because I CAN 

I can't do that here, and neither can I rub shoulders with 68 million people.  Big difference.

As suggested, on countless  occasions on PIO, we are not the same. Close enough, but just not the same in so many ways. There are reasonable comparisons but not to the extent that you have highlighted. 

Edited by Dusty Plains
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, unzippy said:

Seem very mean!

And in 6 months time, or longer the UK economy will be too stressed to continue the fight against CONVID. Perhaps 12 months.

Yes, very mean indeed.

4 minutes ago, Dusty Plains said:

And in 6 months time, or longer the UK economy will be too stressed to continue the fight against CONVID. Perhaps 12 months.

Yes, very mean indeed.

Yes I don't think bankrupting the country is a great idea,

• Like 1

I want it all, and I want it now.

My grandchildren are doing their schoolwork online from home as are all their friends. Very sensible I think.I don't mind being in isolation at all- at least we are not missing anything social, everything is cancelled.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Parley said:

golf is fine, no restrictions

• Like 1

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

5 hours ago, Drumbeat said:

WA has announced it's finally closing the border on Tuesday.

Sadly keeping schools open though

• Like 1

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

14 minutes ago, ali said:

NSW will likely keep schools open but only for children whose parents / guardians are essential services workers.

On 25/01/2020 at 22:25, starlight7 said:

antibiotics don’t work well with these viruses

Antibiotics have absolutely no effect on ANY virus, ever.    However a cold or flu can trigger a bacterial chest infection or bacterial pneumonia, which can be treated by antibiotics.  

The difference with coronavirus is that the pneumonia it causes is not bacterial, it's viral.   As mentioned above, antibiotics are useless against anything viral.   There are a few antiviral medicines but they don't seem to have much effect either - that's why the only option is a ventilator, and all that really does is give the patient's body time to fight off the virus itself.

• Like 3

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

2 hours ago, Dusty Plains said:

Australia, being a Federation of States has seen individual states such as Tasmania or WA  close their borders, within a country, in order to prevent the spread of the virus within a population of 26 million. These moves are backed by the Federal Government.

Yet if I was in the UK I could travel "from Land's End to John o' Groats" and rub shoulders potentially with 68 Million people and nobody will stop me.

I like this headline. 

ETf_Cm3UEAEwwie.jpg

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, ali said:

Having seen some posts from my Scottish relatives, I think I see why they've done that. They're seeing families out with their kids and grandparents as if it's holiday time

I'm sure there are lots of parents doing the responsible thing, but the crowds at Bondi yesterday demonstrates how many stupid people there are in society.   Once the schools are closed - which they will be next week I believe - I bet we'll start seeing kids hanging around in shopping malls and playing with other kids in the park.  Keeping the schools open must be horribly stressful for teachers but at least it keeps children out of circulation.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 6

9 hours ago, unzippy said:

Seem very mean!

Pubs closed, all staff will get 80% of the average of their last 3 months wages, seems very fair

• Like 1

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

As a Registered Manager of a Residential Care Home with a high risk young fella with tons of underlying health issues these are very trying times for me and my team. To go alongside that i have a visa that needs activating by December (hopefully it'll be ok by then but who knows?!) so all in all coronavirus is affecting me on a number of levels. I have asthma too so it could be bad for me if I got it. 

I think they key worker list in the UK shows just how important the lowest paid people are in society - they should be appreciated more and they should have better lives. Support workers are expected to go to work and have absolutely no option to work from home yet they are paid so poorly - usually minimum wage. Are the bankers and stock workers helping out right now? Or are they figuring out how to cash in on this? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Parley said:

Are you over 70 or have underlying health issues? If yes to either. Then no you can't walk your dog. Stay home. Stay safe. Use your garden. 

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, VERYSTORMY said:

Are you over 70 or have underlying health issues? If yes to either. Then no you can't walk your dog. Stay home. Stay safe. Use your garden. 

I don't get this.  I can understand it for someone who lives in a big city like New York, where it's impossible to go outdoors without bumping into someone.  I can't understand what's dangerous about walking outdoors in a quiet place.

I live in an inner city suburb of Melbourne.  I had to go to the shops yesterday.  It's a half hour walk,  During that walk, I encountered five people.   In each case, I crossed the street to avoid them.    If I can go for a walk like that, where I'm able to stay several metres from the nearest person, what is the danger?

We've got at least six months of this to endure, and some people don't have gardens or even balconies.  

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, lewisant48 said:

As a Registered Manager of a Residential Care Home with a high risk young fella with tons of underlying health issues these are very trying times for me and my team. To go alongside that i have a visa that needs activating by December (hopefully it'll be ok by then but who knows?!) so all in all coronavirus is affecting me on a number of levels. I have asthma too so it could be bad for me if I got it. 

I think they key worker list in the UK shows just how important the lowest paid people are in society - they should be appreciated more and they should have better lives. Support workers are expected to go to work and have absolutely no option to work from home yet they are paid so poorly - usually minimum wage. Are the bankers and stock workers helping out right now? Or are they figuring out how to cash in on this? 

Yes they are helping out. Bankers and financial markets are key workers just like you. They too are going to work every day, worrying the same as you do. Take a walk down your high street, every bank will be open with key worker staff there providing a service to their customers. I am sure everyone on the list would rather be in the safety of their own home but they’re all trying to do the right thing. It sounds like you are doing a great job.  It’s not nice to have a dig at other key workers, they are no different to you. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I don't get this.  I can understand it for someone who lives in a big city like New York, where it's impossible to go outdoors without bumping into someone.  I can't understand what's dangerous about walking outdoors in a quiet place.

I live in an inner city suburb of Melbourne.  I had to go to the shops yesterday.  It's a half hour walk,  During that walk, I encountered five people.   In each case, I crossed the street to avoid them.    If I can go for a walk like that, where I'm able to stay several metres from the nearest person, what is the danger?

We've got at least six months of this to endure, and some people don't have gardens or even balconies.  

Same here. Over 70s and some health issues allowed going out but keepa distance from others. Only very high risk groups need to stay home completely.......at the moment. This will likely change because people are morons it seems.....

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Amber Snowball said:

This will likely change because people are morons it seems.....

That's the worry.  I see that in Italy now, you're not allowed to do any physical activity outside, even if you're alone.   There's no sensible reason for that, I think it's just because it's a lot easier for the police to control if everyone stays at home.

14 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

Yes they are helping out. Bankers and financial markets are key workers just like you. They too are going to work every day, worrying the same as you do. Take a walk down your high street, every bank will be open with key worker staff there providing a service to their customers. I am sure everyone on the list would rather be in the safety of their own home but they’re all trying to do the right thing. It sounds like you are doing a great job.  It’s not nice to have a dig at other key workers, they are no different to you. 

I probably used the wrong word, i meant the big wig types, not a regular bank worker person. And the point i was trying to make wasn't comparing me to them. I was comparing the wages that support workers get (I'm not a support worker) to the money that big wigs get and the ones that are incredibly important in these times; NHS workers, Health Care Assistants, Carers, Support Workers, Shop assistants, public safety, utility workers and so on. All on poor poor wages. All I'm trying to say is times like these appear to have highlighted how important the lowest paid workers are...i think it's nice positive sentiment!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I like this headline. 

ETf_Cm3UEAEwwie.jpg

Unfortunately the moat hasn't stopped Covid-19.  😩  22 cases here now.  Only 2 in the north west but who knows how many more down the track.  All pubs, cinemas and other social club type of things are closing from today..  Thank goodness there are plenty of other things to keep us occupied.

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, lewisant48 said:

I probably used the wrong word, i meant the big wig types, not a regular bank worker person. And the point i was trying to make wasn't comparing me to them. I was comparing the wages that support workers get (I'm not a support worker) to the money that big wigs get and the ones that are incredibly important in these times; NHS workers, Health Care Assistants, Carers, Support Workers, Shop assistants, public safety, utility workers and so on. All on poor poor wages. All I'm trying to say is times like these appear to have highlighted how important the lowest paid workers are...i think it's nice positive sentiment!

If you were simply comparing the difference in wages, why not mention the consultants in the hospitals earning six figure sums then? You said “are they helping or are they figuring out how to cash in on this” -  that comment has nothing whatsoever to do with pay difference, it was a dig. If all you were trying to say is times like these appear to have highlighted how important the lowest paid workers are then why not just put that 🙄

Edited by Tulip1