register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

simmo

Corona Virus

2 hours ago, kungfustu said:

I still think its an over reaction.....to shut down the economy and effectively put most people under house arrest for 3 months......obviously measures had to be taken but I think we will look back and say we all over reacted......panic set in and this could have been handled much better.....this bbc article is interesting.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51979654

The trouble is, looking back won't help you decide, because there's no way to assess what the numbers would've been if they hadn't "over-reacted". 

If the measures don't work, people will say it wasn't enough.  If they do work, people will say they weren't necessary.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

1 minute ago, Marisawright said:

The trouble is, looking back won't help you decide, because there's no way to assess what the numbers would've been if they hadn't "over-reacted". 

If the measures don't work, people will say it wasn't enough.  If they do work, people will say they weren't necessary.

So true Marisa.

2 hours ago, kungfustu said:

I still think its an over reaction.....to shut down the economy and effectively put most people under house arrest for 3 months......obviously measures had to be taken but I think we will look back and say we all over reacted......panic set in and this could have been handled much better.....this bbc article is interesting.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51979654

Hmmmmmmm

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/20/dont-take-any-chances-warning-of-woman-with-covid-19-shared-online

It’s all just a nightmare. A lot of my friends are working from home but I don’t have that option since I work in social care.  Once the Health and social care workforce start to get it it’s going to be chaos. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Better to be criticised for what you did than for what you didn't do in these circumstances

• Like 2

IMG-20200321-WA0009.jpg

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

In less than a month from hardly any cases of Coronavirus had been reported in Italy. Now sadly over 4.000 people have died. The rest of the world is mad not to take every precaution possible and take the threat very seriously

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, Quokka2005 said:

It’s all just a nightmare. A lot of my friends are working from home but I don’t have that option since I work in social care.  Once the Health and social care workforce start to get it it’s going to be chaos. 

Stay safe xM

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ramot said:

Stay safe xM

Thank you. I wish I could just stay at home.    I feel so bad about my gran, she feels abandoned because we can’t go see her. We would need to go on public transport and it feels too risky as she has COPD 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Quokka2005 said:

Thank you. I wish I could just stay at home.    I feel so bad about my gran, she feels abandoned because we can’t go see her. We would need to go on public transport and it feels too risky as she has COPD 

It’s not good, I understand how you feel. I’m still at work and cannot work from home in my role.  My mum is in her 80’s and has advanced emphysema. I have to go and see her as she hasn’t been able to leave the house alone for almost a year, she has dementia.  I have to do her food shopping for her and take it round and put it away. She also has a carer in the morning and late afternoon each day so she’s in contact with others, not just me. I do worry but for me there is no option so I have to accept it as she simply could not manage without daily help. It’s a case of it’s a better option than her starve and not take her meds. It’s worrying times for so many.

• Like 1

That must be a really hard situation for you, I’m so sorry. I agree though - the better option is to take the risk, we can’t abandon people.       I just wish I could wake up tomorrow and it was all back to normal  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, kungfustu said:

Any and all additional preparations and resources are good news.

I think that the thought of someone we love being seriously ill (with this virus or anything else) and having no available medical resource or access to treatment is the most scary aspect as it is not something any of us are used to.

Edited by Gbye grey sky

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

8 hours ago, Quokka2005 said:

Well done for doing what you do.  All of the key workers like you deserve a special medal when we get through this..

• Like 3

4 hours ago, simmo said:

Well done for doing what you do.  All of the key workers like you deserve a special medal when we get through this..

I’d prefer a pay rise lol.  Thank you, it’s nice to be appreciated. It’s all a bit scary at the moment. I can’t drive and I hate using the bus for work in this situation but I’ve no other choice.   My mum and boyfriend both live around an hour away by train and I don’t think I’m going to see them for a long time, we aren’t sure wether to risk it. My bf is a support worker too so he’s a bit worried about carrying in the virus to work.   I don’t see them that often anyway but I miss them already. And I really miss my gran, she understands what’s going on but I think she still feels a bit abandoned 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Seems that NSW and Victoria are about to announce a virtual lockdown of the state.

All non essential services to be closed.

Supermarkets, Pharmacies will be still be open and people can still go to these. But sounds like apart from that people must stay home.

I want it all, and I want it now.

1 hour ago, Parley said:

Seems that NSW and Victoria are about to announce a virtual lockdown of the state.

Supermarkets, Pharmacies will be still be open and people can still go to these. But sounds like apart from that people must stay home.

When you see the response at Bondi yesterday can you blame government for more strict actions and measures, if you wish to be treated like an adult start acting like one , the Scenes at shops is unbelievable, it’s time people became responsible, you can’t fix stupid though. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Parley said:

Stick the facts.  The meeting hasn't happened yet.

From https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/push-to-shut-victorian-schools-restaurants-and-bars-20200322-p54co5.html

"The Victorian and NSW governments are pushing for a widespread shutdown of schools, bars and restaurants as they seek a dramatic escalation in measures to stop the spread of the coronavirus pandemic.

A source has confirmed they will push for the extreme measures at a meeting of the national cabinet on Sunday evening."

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, unzippy said:

Stick the facts.  The meeting hasn't happened yet.

From https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/push-to-shut-victorian-schools-restaurants-and-bars-20200322-p54co5.html

"The Victorian and NSW governments are pushing for a widespread shutdown of schools, bars and restaurants as they seek a dramatic escalation in measures to stop the spread of the coronavirus pandemic.

A source has confirmed they will push for the extreme measures at a meeting of the national cabinet on Sunday evening."

https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_6143737690001

Victoria about to follow.

I'll add that States do not need permission of others to take unilateral action. No meeting is necessary.

SA have also introduced new border rules.

Edited by Parley

Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews has just announced that all non-essential activity will be shut down over the next 48 hours.

Here's the statement:

I will inform National Cabinet tonight that Victoria will proceed over the next 48 hours to implement a shutdown of all non-essential activity across our state to combat the spread of Coronavirus.

This is not something that we do lightly, but it’s clear that if we don’t take this step, more Victorians will contract coronavirus, our hospitals will be overwhelmed and more Victorians will die.

3 minutes ago, unzippy said:

See, you can do it when you put your mind to it👏

In other news:

You should know by now that what i post is factual from news reports.

WA has announced it's finally closing the border on Tuesday.

4 hours ago, Parley said:

The UK need to do the same. We have many closures but so far the government haven’t implemented lockdown.  Still far too many people having to go to work although I’ve noticed less and less over the last few days. Kids still playing out in the village,  I saw some in the park yesterday when I went for my very isolated walk. I’m trying to isolate as much as possible but tomorrow morning I will be off to work and that’s far from isolated.