register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

simmo

Corona Virus

27 minutes ago, Canada2Australia said:

My Aussie friend is on a Caribbean cruise. She is now in Mexico but they have just slammed the borders shut to the world. She needs to get back to Dallas (then LA then Melbourne on Qantas) so she can catch her flight back to Australia, but the US has also closed their border, so now she is stuck there, on the phone to the embassy trying to figure out what to do. I was telling her she might want to cut her trip short and try to get out of there before something like this happens, but she was quite flippant about that. Now it really happened.

This is why govts are urging people to get back home asap before they find themselves in this situation. Now millions of people around the world are stuck adroad, trying to figure out how to get back home, if they can.

At every stage most people have underestimated the impact of this virus (panic-buyers, the exception).

Hope she manages to sort something out.  The windows of opportunity for international travel are closing fast.

• Like 2

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

5 minutes ago, Gbye grey sky said:

At every stage most people have underestimated the impact of this virus (panic-buyers, the exception).

Hope she manages to sort something out.  The windows of opportunity for international travel are closing fast.

She kept saying 'oh I'd rather be stuck here than back home hahahahaha'.

Well, now she is, and she isn't laughing anymore. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Whatever happens some people, mainly the press and social media, will say it could have been handled better, should have done this or that. 

Very true.   Dr Norman Swan said exactly the same thing.   I really like his advice, he seems to be the one calm voice of reason at the moment.   I saw an eminent epidemiologist on TV recently, saying the government should appoint him as their official spokesperson on the virus, to take the politics out of it. 

• Like 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

14 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

But on a totally mercenary note I suppose getting rid of non productive stock is going to open up a raft of new opportunities for those left behind and the costs of running countries will plummet, exactly as happened in the 1300 -1600's for those who survived the plague.

I suspect there are people in the Middle East and Eastern Europe having exactly those thoughts about the refugee camps...

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

10 hours ago, tonyman said:

I read something on the channel 9 website that mosquitoes can spread the virus, is that right????

No

8 hours ago, s713 said:

Yeah, I get the theory. But if the range of defined 'key workers' is so large that schools are a third full anyway, what is it actually achieving? Why not just leave all kids in school?

With only a third of the numbers, the school can seat children further away from each other, so they can achieve social distancing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Whatever happens some people, mainly the press and social media, will say it could have been handled better, should have done this or that

Things are changing so fast it's very hard to learn from other countries.

But if I was in a country with low numbers there are several things I would do.

1. Infect as many hospital workers and care home workers you can before the peak so they are immune. Health care collapse is a major problem when the disease peaks.

2. Massively boost supermarket staff and delivery systems. There is food, but it's getting harder to get, and it's getting very hard to get an internet delivery.

3. Guarantee wages as Johnson has just done. If they don't, business will fail and they will end up bailing out the banks again. Cheaper to nip it in the bud.

4. Don't underestimate this. Things change very fast. Two weeks ago people were saying this is just flu. Not many saying that now. People are scared.

Posted (edited)

There’s been so much noise about “not enough being done” etc - it’s really good to see measured, well thought out things being done rather than reflexive “don’t think, just do something” nonsense.

This is government governmenting like you hope they can. The lack of politics and inter party fighting has been really refreshing and has actually started to restore my faith that maybe not every single one of them is a self-serving c unit.

Did anyone watch Question Time the other night?

Matt Hancock and Andy Burnham having sensible, conversations and agreeing with each other on the joined up approach that’s being taken.

Despite still managing to raise points specific to their own manifesto. It was actually like 2 reasonable and educated adults conversing. Was mind blowing.

Even Eton are helping out.

They closed to their pupils on Wednesday and as well as providing the below they’re making the boarding houses available to local medical staff who may not be able to get home, plus making their online courses available nationally. And according to the article, the school is picking up the tab for the lot.

image_from_ios.png

Edited by unzippy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, newjez said:

Two weeks ago people were saying this is just flu. Not many saying that now. 

Just that flat earther, anti vaxxer perthbum🤣

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Very true.   Dr Norman Swan said exactly the same thing.   I really like his advice, he seems to be the one calm voice of reason at the moment.   I saw an eminent epidemiologist on TV recently, saying the government should appoint him as their official spokesperson on the virus, to take the politics out of it. 

My hope would be that all sides come together on this one.  Some hope, I know!

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

Given I think Boris is a complete tw@t, in general, I think he’s done OK this week, but Rishi Sunak has come across very well, imho.

6 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

I don’t even have a twitter account lol 😂 

Neither do I.  What am I missing?

4 hours ago, unzippy said:

Wow, just wow.

UK Government to pay up to 80% of wages.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-51982005

Has that ever happened before?

If the message that this isn’t serious doesn’t get through now then I have no idea what will.

Very bold and commendable action indeed. It's been interesting to see politicians coming together, blurring the lines of left and right and getting rid of the petty bickering normally seen in politics. 

Not a fan of Mr Johnsons political leanings but have to applaud this move as it will be of huge relief to many families. It would be nice to see it extended to self employed individuals as well but it's an excellent start.

• Like 2

:evilface_frowning_s

Posted (edited)

All pubs, restaurants and gyms closed from today. I wouldn’t be surprised if we are on lockdown within a week. 

Edited by Tulip1

Total overreaction, the world has gone mad, 99% get this virus get over it and have immunity, should have carried on as usual and let everyone catch it and in 12 months it would have been like the sars virus....gone.

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

Total overreaction, the world has gone mad, 99% get this virus get over it and have immunity, should have carried on as usual and let everyone catch it and in 12 months it would have been like the sars virus....gone.

Coronavirus: Have UK experts over-egged deaths?

Would these people be dying anyway?

The figures for coronavirus are eye-watering. But what is not clear - because the modellers did not map this - is to what extent the deaths would have happened without coronavirus.

Given that the old and frail are the most vulnerable, would these people be dying anyway?

Every year more than 500,000 people die in England and Wales: factor in Scotland and Northern Ireland, and the figure tops 600,000.

The coronavirus deaths will not be on top of this. Many would be within this "normal" number of expected deaths. In short, they would have died anyway.

It was a point conceded by Sir Patrick at a press conference on Thursday when he said there would be "some overlap" between coronavirus deaths and expected deaths - he just did not know how much of an overlap.

Chart showing the estimated death rate for coronavirus by age group. The elderly are at much greater risk. Presentational white space

The flu comparison

In contrast, the figure he gave for flu deaths to MPs - 8,000 - is different. It is actually the number of deaths over and above what you would expect to happen in any given year.

Many more die with flu, but the figure gives you an indication of how many more die because of flu, whereas the 20,000, 250,000 and 500,000 figures for coronavirus are simply the number of deaths linked to coronavirus.

The testing which has been done in many countries means we know when a patient dies with the virus inside their body. What it does not tell us is to what extent coronavirus contributed to the death.

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

I still think its an over reaction.....to shut down the economy and effectively put most people under house arrest for 3 months......obviously measures had to be taken but I think we will look back and say we all over reacted......panic set in and this could have been handled much better.....this bbc article is interesting.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51979654

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, unzippy said:

Wow, just wow.

UK Government to pay up to 80% of wages.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-51982005

Has that ever happened before?

If the message that this isn’t serious doesn’t get through now then I have no idea what will.

Boris said he would deliver.....its an impressive package to say the least......I think it goes further than the likes of Denmark and Sweden.....when you have the likes of Ian Blackford praising the actions of BJ on Newsnight you know we are in uncharted water.......he just needs something for the self employed now to really put the doubters in their place......lets see where it goes from here.....

Edited by kungfustu

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Marisawright said:

My issue in the UK is that we are given pronouncements by govt employed doctors and scientists without their opinions being peer reviewed nor with any openness about the underlying assumptions being disclosed

Edited by BacktoDemocracy

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, kungfustu said:

I still think its an over reaction.....to shut down the economy and effectively put most people under house arrest for 3 months......obviously measures had to be taken but I think we will look back and say we all over reacted......panic set in and this could have been handled much better.....this bbc article is interesting.

We will never know but I’m confident that the government aren’t choosing to mess up the countries economy, worry people half to death about their jobs, their social life and their actual life for no reason. They are doing what they think will give the best outcome for everyone and I for one put my trust in experts that are far more qualified and smart than me. 

Edited by Tulip1
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, kungfustu said:

Boris said he would deliver.....its an impressive package to say the least......I think it goes further than the likes of Denmark and Sweden.....when you have the likes of Ian Blackford praising the actions of BJ on Newsnight you know we are in uncharted water.......he just needs something for the self employed now to really put the doubters in their place......lets see where it goes from here.....

I agree. There’s a lot of worried self employed people out there. It’s hard times for many. 

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

We will never know but I’m confident that the government aren’t choosing to mess up the countries economy, worrying people half to death about their jobs, their social life and their actual life for no reason. They are doing what they think will give the best outcome for everyone and I for one put my trust in experts that are far more qualified and smart than me. 

I agree....they are doing what they think is the best option for the country......I do not for one minute think there are any ulterior motives......they have to answer to a lot of people and what ever they do there will always be people out there that moan.....bitch and complain....my own view is I think its a little over the top but we will see.....hindsight would be very useful now.

Edited by kungfustu
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, kungfustu said:

The point that is constantly overlooked is that it is not just the death rate, which may or may not be excess deaths over and above normal for a flu season, but what is not being factored in is that even in the lower risk groups hospitalisation is significantly increased and even if we accept that the people in the higher age groups were surplus to requirements  surely we should put a higher price on anyone's life than simply the cost to the economy.

No one knows in the UK what the true situation is because their has been no proper testing for the virus nor establishment of recovery rates, nor clarity about who is actually dying or being admitted to hospital as a result of the virus.

Whatever the truth this is a new disease that we have no resistance to and if a large proportion of the population develop this in addition to normal seasonal disease then our medical services will collapse and we will be back to the plague years of the medieval period, so to my mind we have a clear choice, people and society as a whole, or, big business and the survival of a segment of society and their lifestyle.

What did the WHO say?

Speaking at an online news conference from WHO headquarters in Geneva, Mr Tedros said: "Although older people are hardest hit, younger people are not spared."

He added: "I have a message for young people: You are not invincible, this virus could put you in hospital for weeks or even kill you. Even if you don't get sick the choices you make about where you go could be the difference between life and death for someone else."

Mr Tedros welcomed developments from the central Chinese city of Wuhan, where the outbreak originated, which reported no new cases on Thursday.

He said this provided "hope for the rest of the world that even the most severe situation can be turned around".

Edited by BacktoDemocracy
  • Thanks 1

I don't think it is an over reaction- it hits certain people hard and if everyone ignores that then what sort of a society are we? I wouldn't want deaths on my conscience. It is becoming very widespread and numbers are not being reported because the people don't 'own up' if they have mild cases. We have a member of our immediate family who is quite sick with fever, cough etc.but says there are no testing kits so he has self-isolated together with his family. I don't think Australia is coping well at all. We told people at the airport that many people on our plane were coughing badly and they just thought it was amusing.  We are now in compulsory self isolation and if we do get it we will know it is from the plane because there are no cases where we have been. No extra hygiene measures on board at all.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2