and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

simmo

Corona Virus

Posted (edited)

Warning 

someone has informed me a probable scam phone call from Medicare asking you to confirm your details to claim your $750

Edited by ramot
  • Sad 3

10 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Same for everyone kungfu. If you don't have your health you don't have anything.

Years ago my eldest got a virus. He was fit, surf club state team, playing footy and started just feeling really tired at first. At the same time the company I was working for were running out of cash and laying people off, I was worried about no job and being able to pay bills.

A couple of our friends said to us that our son didn't look well and had lost a lot of weight. We hadn't really noticed as we were with him daily.

My wife took him to the docs and got a phone call that afternoon to take him to hospital for tests. It sounded like they suspected lukemia.

She rang me at work and every other worry bar his health went out the window.

As it turned out he had a virus or something they were never able to put a name to. A course of several different antibiotics and loads of tests and he started recovering. 

Puts things in perspective and I've a feeling GCSE's are going to be the least of everyones worries.

Im glad it all worked out for him and you paul.....your kids do put you through it.....if they only new.....my concern with this virus is are we over reacting too soon.....whatever we do must be sustainable and is locking the population away for 2....3.....4 months or even longer going to work......you need the co-operation of the public to start with and that will start to wear thin after weeks not months......then when restrictions are eased this virus will just hit hard again and infections will spike once again and we are effectively back to the beginning......without a vaccine we are at the mercy of this virus and peoples behaviour.......I get what PB is saying......when you consider the financial impact of months of closure to then be right back where we started.....I am not so sure this is the right course of action unless you are going to enforce closure for months on end......attitudes will change over weeks not months......I think we will look back on this and say this particular virus could have been handled better.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, kungfustu said:

Bloody hell....schools now closed and Exams cancelled until further notice.....😡.....not happy.....it’s going to have a big impact on my boys GCSE’s

Looks like it may not work out too bad for him.....we think they will get a mixture of predicted grades and what they got in their mocks so for him I think he will be quite happy with that.....fingers crossed.....an announcement tomorrow apparently.

• Like 2

I don't wish unemployment on anyone, but I'm hoping that a few will consider moving to the disability sector. With the roll out of the NDIS there is a real shortage of support workers and therapists. More interesting that working for woollies.

3 hours ago, kungfustu said:

Im glad it all worked out for him and you paul.....your kids do put you through it.....if they only new.....my concern with this virus is are we over reacting too soon.....whatever we do must be sustainable and is locking the population away for 2....3.....4 months or even longer going to work......you need the co-operation of the public to start with and that will start to wear thin after weeks not months......then when restrictions are eased this virus will just hit hard again and infections will spike once again and we are effectively back to the beginning......without a vaccine we are at the mercy of this virus and peoples behaviour.......I get what PB is saying......when you consider the financial impact of months of closure to then be right back where we started.....I am not so sure this is the right course of action unless you are going to enforce closure for months on end......attitudes will change over weeks not months......I think we will look back on this and say this particular virus could have been handled better.

At what level of deaths do you reckon we go to full quarantining, 250/day, 350/day, 450/day, its such a bore all these snowflakes insisting on catching this silly virus and then they insist on keeping on dying, its not British is it.

Lets face it, this govt hasn't got a clue, they make announcements and then think about the consequences afterwards. 

Is everybody going to keep schtum when daily death rates are running at a few hundred per day.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 18/03/2020 at 18:39, BritChickx said:

Hope everyone is keeping safe and well

@simmo hope you are getting on the mend, definitely call 111 if you're not able to breathe properly.

I don't know anyone who has it but my partners dad has cancer so we're trying to get him to stay indoors, as well as grandparents, but they are stubborn! 

Our uni lessons have been cancelled but we are still being told we are going out onto placements, but not due to go out until next month so we'll see what happens. I'd rather go in to be honest as it'll only complicate our learning further down the road. If we go on placements we won't be allowed to work with anyone with suspected or confirmed cases. 

So at the moment having some down time, will go home and see family in a few weeks hopefully!

Oh, we also can't buy any proper food at the moment, need to try again today! 

Just be careful hun. Unfortunately we had to make the call to withdraw my youngest from uni after a few students in his uni tested positive. A few days later they cancelled all on campus learning for this semester. 

My eldest son’s girlfriend is in her final year of med in FNQ,  working in the hospital she has developed symptoms and has asked to be tested or at least self quarantined but they are saying they need all hands on deck up their right now. Which makes no sense at all to me.  She was taking it further today, so I am hoping someone with common sense listens. 

• Like 3

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

On 18/03/2020 at 08:00, Marisawright said:

True, but Simmo is in the UK where the virus has already been out in the community for several weeks.   So the odds are that it IS Covid-19, especially as his symptoms sound exactly like the ones most usually mentioned.

This is what is so annoying right now. There are so many people with similar symptoms in Oz, well all around the world, but they don’t have the amount of testing kits they require so they are having to use these strict guidelines. I bet if they went door to door doing mandatory testing (yes a drastic measure but just using it as an example) they would find this virus is worse than they ever imagined.

• Like 1

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

On 18/03/2020 at 06:37, Rallyman said:

Who’s said this ? any links ? 

went shopping last night on way home absolutely nothing on shelves unbelievable, sorry until facts are known it’s stories like above that fuel the panic. 

Sorry, I’ve just logged on, so you have already seen the two announcements with more to follow. As I said it was being done in stages. I wasn’t fuelling panic, I was trying to give our members a heads up. Next time I have inside knowledge maybe I will keep it to myself. I do understand though that sorting fact from fiction at the moment on the internet is impossible, even WHO are changing their statements along with scientists and drs giving conflicting advice,

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Canada2Australia said:

Where did you hear this?

From me the other day but you didn’t believe me then either 😜

The army are at birmingham airport .

Maybe our lockdown has begun ?

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

1 hour ago, The Pom Queen said:

Sorry, I’ve just logged on, so you have already seen the two announcements with more to follow. As I said it was being done in stages. I wasn’t fuelling panic, I was trying to give our members a heads up. Next time I have inside knowledge maybe I will keep it to myself. I do understand though that sorting fact from fiction at the moment on the internet is impossible, even WHO are changing their statements along with scientists and drs giving conflicting advice,

In the UK at the moment, the basis of thinking seems to be not to test but simply allow it to circulate and allow the populace to develop immunity naturally on the basis that for the young it is no worse than a bout of flu, in this period to isolate those at high risk in the hope that they will not contract it.

That it seems to me have a number of problems to it

There are around 30million people in the 20-60 age group and if just 1% develop the more serious form that is an awful lot of people requiring hospitalisation, there are around 7million plus in the at risk category who are supposed to be self isolating in order not to catch it and become immediate hospital cases, but driven around town there seems to be an awful lot of old people on the streets,

So the policy seems to be, get the workforce infected, most will recover and the economy can carry on. And the older demographic are a cost on the country and a bit of thinning out was overdue anyway, so any excess deaths among the old is simply the cost of doing business and if we can get the country up and running before any othe country it puts the UK in pole position.

Now the real issue will the Brits do as usual and just allow themselves to be rodgered by their own bunch of upper class twonkers, my guess is they will even when the deaths are at 250 a day and the govt will brazen it out knowing that the numbers of vulnerable people will simply be exhausted after 5 or 6 weeks.

Too cynical?

Lets see. 

18 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

IMG-20200318-WA0047.jpg

IMG-20200318-WA0043.jpg

Are these the false pictures circulating in social media? BBC world has them as from overseas and days old. Driving  on the wrong side of the road, not uk plates et.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

From me the other day but you didn’t believe me then either 😜

Because you get your news from Twitter.

I want it all, and I want it now.

21 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

IMG-20200318-WA0047.jpg

IMG-20200318-WA0043.jpg

Why are you showing Bulgarian military vehicles? 

• Haha 1

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

I can't comprehend why people say "the economy is not that important, health is the only thing that counts". You seriously underestimate how a screwed up economy is impacting people's health - including a boatload of deaths.

How many people can pay for mortgage and food when there is no work? The government will bail us all out? Impossible. Suicide, starvation, homelesness all will be at all time highs.

• Thanks 1

Lived in Perth for 18 months. Pingponging back in Juli '15!

3 hours ago, FOL said:

I can't comprehend why people say "the economy is not that important, health is the only thing that counts". You seriously underestimate how a screwed up economy is impacting people's health - including a boatload of deaths.

How many people can pay for mortgage and food when there is no work? The government will bail us all out? Impossible. Suicide, starvation, homelesness all will be at all time highs.

Couldn't agree more. It's possible that just letting the virus take it's course would be far less damaging in the long, medium and possibly even short term  And I don't just mean to the economy - if the economy tanks, where does the money come to pay for the healthcare, hospitals etc that we're accustomed to?

17 hours ago, kungfustu said:

Whatever happens some people, mainly the press and social media, will say it could have been handled better, should have done this or that. 

The best comments I've heard came from the West Coast Eagles manager who just said we have to back the government in and basically do as we're instructed. If we do, like Boris Johnson is saying, it could be over in 12 weeks. Of course he's been brave in a way just saying that as he's already being criticised. Ones things for certain though, if people don't act responsibly it won't be over in 12 weeks. They interviewed some market stallholders just after and you had the feeling that if things got tight money wise they would be doing tjeir own thing. Same goes for taxi drivers, uber etc. Don't make much money, react with fairly risky people, airport pickups and would we expect them to just stop work if they start feeling ill? I think some will say nothing and keep driving.

I suspect WA has it's worst time to come as all the people looking to get back will be doing so in the next couple of weeks. Will they do the right thing and self isolate?

I see Boris is already getting criticism.

Posted (edited)

For anyone who had flights booked on Qantas using your membership points and had to cancel due to Coronavirus, how does the cancellation work? I used a combo of money and pts. Now it says I'll get a full credit back for the money spent, but it said nothing about the points. Does that mean I will get to keep my points that I used, or will I end up losing them?

Is anyone in a similar situation and can clarify this for me?

If I lose 38,000 points, I will be absolutely livid.

Edited by Canada2Australia

1 hour ago, Canada2Australia said:

For anyone who had flights booked on Qantas using your membership points and had to cancel due to Coronavirus, how does the cancellation work? I used a combo of money and pts. Now it says I'll get a full credit back for the money spent, but it said nothing about the points. Does that mean I will get to keep my points that I used, or will I end up losing them?

Is anyone in a similar situation and can clarify this for me?

If I lose 38,000 points, I will be absolutely livid.

Same - flights booked to Noosa in July, mostly paid for by points. Cant seem to find any details anywhere, and nobody in qantas wants to talk to you at the moment unless you are flying in the next 72 hours, which i fair enough i guess

IELTS 08/06/13: 9.0. - ACS Assessment: 02/08/13. Result 13/11/13. VIC SS 20/11/13. EOI 20/11/13. VIC SS Resubmitted 20/06/14, Approved 02/07/14. Visa Application (190) 14/07/14. CO assigned, Meds/PCC requested 27/08/14. Granted 24/10/14!! Activated 31/03/15. Arrival 27/08/15.Citizenship Applied 17/04/2019,  Test confirmed 09/07/2019 for 15/12/2019

1 hour ago, kevsan said:

Same - flights booked to Noosa in July, mostly paid for by points. Cant seem to find any details anywhere, and nobody in qantas wants to talk to you at the moment unless you are flying in the next 72 hours, which i fair enough i guess

Sure, that's fair. But why not clarify what happens to the points? Why the secrecy, unless they are trying to hide something from us?

32 minutes ago, Canada2Australia said:

Sure, that's fair. But why not clarify what happens to the points? Why the secrecy, unless they are trying to hide something from us?

They are in the same boat as everyone else - they will be working out their procedures whilst looking after their staff the best they can.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, unzippy said:

They are in the same boat as everyone else - they will be working out their procedures whilst looking after their staff the best they can.

They could have easily clarified this in their cancellations email, yet they purposely chose not to.

It has nothing to do with looking after their staff.

Edited by Canada2Australia

Jetstar were offering a credit voucher to be used against a future flight.

Not sure if they will give refunds in cash as such.

• Like 1

I want it all, and I want it now.

38 minutes ago, Canada2Australia said:

They could have easily clarified this in their cancellations email, yet they purposely chose not to.

It has nothing to do with looking after their staff.

What I'm trying to say is that however important your points are to you, Quantas don't agree and have more important things to worry about.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, mxh said:

Couldn't agree more. It's possible that just letting the virus take it's course would be far less damaging in the long, medium and possibly even short term  And I don't just mean to the economy - if the economy tanks, where does the money come to pay for the healthcare, hospitals etc that we're accustomed to?

Tell that to the families with dead fathers, mothers, grandparents and babies

Lets see how that plays out shall we in the UK.

But on a totally mercenary note I suppose getting rid of non productive stock is going to open up a raft of new opportunities for those left behind and the costs of running countries will plummet, exactly as happened in the 1300 -1600's for those who survived the plague.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1