register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

simmo

Corona Virus

4 hours ago, Rallyman said:

Just back from Adelaide and Barossa supermarkets seemed well stocked , our neighbour works at local Woolworths and said people coming up to hunter to shop and complaining about lack of stock 

unbelievable, people need to get a grip 

Folk from Melbourne have been doing the same thing  .......... bus loads of them arriving in regional towns.  Greedy, selfish so and so's.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-18/coronavirus-panic-buyers-hit-victorias-regional-towns/12065014

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, simmo said:

The wife has it. She is about 2 days behind me.

We had to take the kids out of school (as per the guidelines).

My wife said the kids had sore throats about a week and a half ago so maybe they had a mild version.

Yes it seems to hit adults harder than children.  

Hope you are all hale and hearty very soon!  

• Like 2

Well that’s our next three weekends entertainment cancelled on us.  Two theatre nights and one orchestra performance. Guess we will be staying in...........

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

So many wineries ......so little time :yes:

I haven't taken sugar in tea or coffee for years but the last couple of days I have been drinking tea with sugar by the bucket load.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, simmo said:

I had a decent night's sleep appart from the shortness of breath, drank 3lts of water.  At last the headache and body pain has eased. Still very week and light headed, need to start eating to build up strength now. I will probably start returning calls and emails today.

Thanks for asking.

Good to hear. 

4 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

My youngest works in a cafe by the beach and he says they have been a lot quiter than usual. Enough people for them to tick over and make a profit as they get a lot of take away orders. There's a big car park and kids play parks across the road and a lot of people call in for takeaway and take them across to the park. 

No calls for them to close yet.

We are behind the curve with italy - what came to italy is coming to the u.k - total lockdown 

The australian govt may follow the lead and shut everything down .

Central london is like a barren wasteland now .

Only people going to and from work .

Both of my daughters are lucky , they have secure jobs and they can work from home , which they are doing .

My brother in law is a truck driver ,delivering to large supermarkets  and very soon they will be the majority of vehicles on the road .

Sadly , it's coming to us all 

• Like 2

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, simmo said:

I had a decent night's sleep appart from the shortness of breath, drank 3lts of water.  At last the headache and body pain has eased. Still very week and light headed, need to start eating to build up strength now. I will probably start returning calls and emails today.

Thanks for asking.

Be careful with the shortness of breath simmo, if could be the first signs of pneumonia. The weakness too could be lack of oxygen. Might be worth calling 111 to discuss your symptoms. Don't leave it too long before seeking help. Good luck with it mate.

Edited by newjez
  • Like 6

31 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

We are behind the curve with italy - what came to italy is coming to the u.k - total lockdown 

The australian govt may follow the lead and shut everything down .

Central london is like a barren wasteland now .

Only people going to and from work .

Both of my daughters are lucky , they have secure jobs and they can work from home , which they are doing .

My brother in law is a truck driver ,delivering to large supermarkets  and very soon they will be the majority of vehicles on the road .

Sadly , it's coming to us all 

My heart goes out to so many who will lose jobs/not get paid.  I can’t work from home in my role so I have to go into work but I would get paid no matter what.  I know people who wouldn’t and are worried sick about how they will financially survive, not longer term even but they live from month to month and don’t know how they’d even buy food. It is heartbreaking. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Rallyman said:

Who’s said this ? any links ? 

went shopping last night on way home absolutely nothing on shelves unbelievable, sorry until facts are known it’s stories like above that fuel the panic. 

Its going to happen mate.....you may as well prepare now......fail to prepare.....prepare to fail.....Oz and the rest of the world will all follow suit pretty much......once its in the community you wont get rid of it.....we are now on lock down pretty much apart from essential travel.....im still going to work  but wearing gloves in customers houses but things have gone quiet.....pubs closing and local businesses shutting down for a period so you can bet your life it will happen in Oz as well.....the problem is that the rate of infection slows and deaths slow but the virus will still be there and as soon as restrictions are lifted it will spike again.....the authorities are just killing time until a vaccine appears so this could go on for a very long time.....its quite amazing how things have changed in my town in the space of a week.....people have even started panic buying bloody bottled water!......my wife is driving to several shops a day to try and find essentials.....we have discovered that the best places to go are the small corner shops and little back street outlets because everyone else queues at the superstores no one thinks about the small retailers although I have probably given that the kiss of death now......

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Toots said:

I braved the supermarkets yesterday.  Coles was fine.  Plenty of stock.  Different story in Woolworths - lots of empty shelves. 

its going to get a whole lot worse before it gets better.....its mental to be honest.....whats happening in our town is madness with all pubs and restaurants shutting down but the alternatives are few and far between....even if they stayed open there wouldnt be any customers......I was thinking about taking a few days break up in the lake district to do a bit of walking etc.....accommodation and food might be an issue but its worth looking anyway.....I will go stir crazy locked in doors for 3 months.

• Like 2

Love a bit of dark humour.....how long till we get to this......"i think i'll go for a walk" 😂

Hope everyone is keeping safe and well

@simmo hope you are getting on the mend, definitely call 111 if you're not able to breathe properly.

I don't know anyone who has it but my partners dad has cancer so we're trying to get him to stay indoors, as well as grandparents, but they are stubborn! 

Our uni lessons have been cancelled but we are still being told we are going out onto placements, but not due to go out until next month so we'll see what happens. I'd rather go in to be honest as it'll only complicate our learning further down the road. If we go on placements we won't be allowed to work with anyone with suspected or confirmed cases. 

So at the moment having some down time, will go home and see family in a few weeks hopefully!

Oh, we also can't buy any proper food at the moment, need to try again today! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, simmo said:

My wife said the kids had sore throats about a week and a half ago so maybe they had a mild version.

Hope you all ok 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, rammygirl said:

Well that’s our next three weekends entertainment cancelled on us.  Two theatre nights and one orchestra performance. Guess we will be staying in...........

get used to it.....my youngest boys end of season rugby tour was supposed to be going this weekend but was called off a few days ago......no rugby at all now.....no training....nothing.....my eldest son has had 2 overseas training camps called off in the past couple of weeks......the schools rugby tour to Canada (a once in a lifetime trip for a lot of the boys) is off.....fortunately my boy went last year......within a week or two you will probably find most venues.....pubs....clubs.....theatres are closed.

I am just waiting for schools to be shut.....I think they are trying to hang out til Easter but I doubt they will make it.....my youngest is going to suffer as he has his GCSE's coming up and he has been going to loads of revision classes that have really helped bump up his grades in his mocks but as soon as school shuts he will not get the intense learning he is currently getting.....just hope it doesnt impact him too much.

Edited by kungfustu
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, kungfustu said:

its going to get a whole lot worse before it gets better.....its mental to be honest.....whats happening in our town is madness with all pubs and restaurants shutting down but the alternatives are few and far between....even if they stayed open there wouldnt be any customers......I was thinking about taking a few days break up in the lake district to do a bit of walking etc.....accommodation and food might be an issue but its worth looking anyway.....I will go stir crazy locked in doors for 3 months.

Iam waiting on devon in 3 weeks - london in may ,and cornwall in august 😞

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

1 hour ago, newjez said:

Be careful with the shortness of breath simmo, if could be the first signs of pneumonia. The weakness too could be lack of oxygen. Might be worth calling 111 to discuss your symptoms. Don't leave it too long before seeking help. Good luck with it mate.

Where the heck have you been ?

I want it all, and I want it now.

Just now, bunbury61 said:

Iam waiting on devon in 3 weeks - london in may ,and cornwall in august 😞

We go to a lovely little bar ,just up the road - bar one side , restaurant the other .

We usually go in every other saturday around 3 - few beers , watch the 6 nations , if it's on,  and then a meal for 6pm .

That place only opened in 2018 , and it was flying .

Now , all of a sudden ,its shut .

For how long ? - a month ? - a year ? .

I was looking up sars from 2003 , a variant of this bloody disease .

Started in china in 2002 ? - in 2020 ,still no vaccine .

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

38 minutes ago, kungfustu said:

get used to it.....my youngest boys end of season rugby tour was supposed to be going this weekend but was called off a few days ago......no rugby at all now.....no training....nothing.....my eldest son has had 2 overseas training camps called off in the past couple of weeks......the schools rugby tour to Canada (a once in a lifetime trip for a lot of the boys) is off.....fortunately my boy went last year......within a week or two you will probably find most venues.....pubs....clubs.....theatres are closed.

I am just waiting for schools to be shut.....I think they are trying to hang out til Easter but I doubt they will make it.....my youngest is going to suffer as he has his GCSE's coming up and he has been going to loads of revision classes that have really helped bump up his grades in his mocks but as soon as school shuts he will not get the intense learning he is currently getting.....just hope it doesnt impact him too much.

Waiting for the run on bottle shops next!

So many wineries ......so little time :yes:

3 hours ago, simmo said:

is it the flu or have you been tested for corona?

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

16 minutes ago, rammygirl said:

Waiting for the run on bottle shops next!

Just stocked up from the Barossa 😎

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

CDA0FDDF-79BA-48F0-9DC4-515D9AB48A16.jpeg

What does that mean?

1 hour ago, unzippy said:

What does that mean?

You gotta blame someone somewhere, someone's gotta be to blame, someone has to be to blame.

Nothing to do with the system, that's perfect, so lets find someone to blame.

The chinese

The profiteers

The stockpilers

The preppers

The selfish individualists

Those who tell us this is just like flu, stop panicking.

All of the above

But, our govts who are elected to protect us are completely blame free, as we watch them protect their mates and yet again commit all of us to years of penury as they borrow, borrow and borrow yet more to prop up capitalism after telling us that there is no alternative to austerity.

We are about to see the end of capitalism brought down by an invisible pathogen, how many of these companies that are going to be given loans and subsidies are going to be around in 6 months time to repay it all

The govt still owns huge investments in banks from the last debacle which are now literally wworthless once again

Govts should be borrowing to pay a universal wage to everyone and supporting citizens to survive this and to provide basic consumption of necessities and thereby keeping afloat those entities which will be essential functions in the coming months, govts cannot borrow enough to sustain the economy, they cannot substitute loans and grants at a high enough level to offset the reduction in cashflow for any business.

Most companies do not have the cash reserves to keep them afloat for more than a few weeks, can govts keep on borrowing, and from whom, before the lenders realise no one will be able to repay.

Macron is promising no French firm will fold, lets see how long that lasts!  

7 hours ago, Parley said:

Where the heck have you been ?

My chi wasn't very well, my Ying was out of balance with my Yang, so I sent myself off to a Buddhist retreat to get some spiritual readjustment done. I feel much better now. Much more relaxed.

• Like 2

Britain to shut down fully within the next 7 days - I have it  on good authority .

If it's like italy - only food shops and chemists will be open 

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE