You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

simmo

Corona Virus

Australia will be closing all restaurants and cafes in the next few days, someone said it is part of a total quarantine for the country. Essential businesses will remain open like supermarkets, chemists, health. I don’t know if the full shutdown will take place by Sunday or whether it will be announced in stages, or even if the source is correct as officially they aren’t suppose to say anything. 

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Just a thought, I wonder if that’s why they have advised people overseas to return back now. 

• Like 1

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

13 hours ago, simmo said:

They aren't testing.

It is for that reason that the numbers of “confirmed cases” needs to be taken with a bag of salt.  It is likely that there are tens of thousands quietly suffering at home and even more with mild symptoms that are totally unaware and going about their daily business.

• Like 6

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

26 minutes ago, Gbye grey sky said:

It is for that reason that the numbers of “confirmed cases” needs to be taken with a bag of salt.  It is likely that there are tens of thousands quietly suffering at home and even more with mild symptoms that are totally unaware and going about their daily business.

spot on, the experts are saying up to 10 times the number estimated have had it got over it and carried on plus they now have some immunity.

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

4 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

Just a thought, I wonder if that’s why they have advised people overseas to return back now. 

I have never been a fan, far less an advocate, of our current political leadership but I wouldn’t have their job now for all the tea in China (unfortunate analogy I know).

Lockdowns at the tail-end of winter in the northern hemisphere are slightly easier than lockdowns in a country where flu virus season is typically 3-5 months away.

• Like 3

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

5 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

Australia will be closing all restaurants and cafes in the next few days, someone said it is part of a total quarantine for the country. Essential businesses will remain open like supermarkets, chemists, health. I don’t know if the full shutdown will take place by Sunday or whether it will be announced in stages, or even if the source is correct as officially they aren’t suppose to say anything. 

Who’s said this ? any links ? 

went shopping last night on way home absolutely nothing on shelves unbelievable, sorry until facts are known it’s stories like above that fuel the panic. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

Okay, so this isn't offcial as of yet. 

I wonder of this would mean all non-essential businesses will be forced to shut down as well.

14 hours ago, simmo said:

Was..... Worst night so far  

It could be another but I haven't had flu for about 4 years now this right now is some coincidence.

Was like someone sitting on my chest.  

You feeling any better @simmo? Sounds like you’ve had a tough time of it. 

2 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

he is ok, went to see him yesterday and we talked through the letterbox for an hour, still got his sense of humor.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

France, italy and Spain have done exactly that, but I haven't heard any suggestion that Australia will do the same.  Those countries have far higher levels of infection than we do. 

Here in Melbourne, I think a lot of people are already avoiding restaurants and cafes.

• Like 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

23 hours ago, Toots said:

You could have any sort of bug that's going around Simmo.  You don't know if you've got Covid-19 until you've been tested for it.

True, but Simmo is in the UK where the virus has already been out in the community for several weeks.   So the odds are that it IS Covid-19, especially as his symptoms sound exactly like the ones most usually mentioned.

• Like 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

18 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

True, but Simmo is in the UK where the virus has already been out in the community for several weeks.   So the odds are that it IS Covid-19, especially as his symptoms sound exactly like the ones most usually mentioned.

Yes, it does seem he probably has been struck down with Covid-19.  Wonder if his wife and sons have contracted it too.  😐 

22 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

1000s more catch flu, he has got the flu almost cetyainly

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rallyman said:

Who’s said this ? any links ? 

went shopping last night on way home absolutely nothing on shelves unbelievable, sorry until facts are known it’s stories like above that fuel the panic. 

I braved the supermarkets yesterday.  Coles was fine.  Plenty of stock.  Different story in Woolworths - lots of empty shelves. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Toots said:

I braved the supermarkets yesterday.  Coles was fine.  Plenty of stock.  Different story in Woolworths - lots of empty shelves. 

Whereas i went to woolworths and they had most stuff (no toilet rolls) and Coles was a barren wasteland

IELTS 08/06/13: 9.0. - ACS Assessment: 02/08/13. Result 13/11/13. VIC SS 20/11/13. EOI 20/11/13. VIC SS Resubmitted 20/06/14, Approved 02/07/14. Visa Application (190) 14/07/14. CO assigned, Meds/PCC requested 27/08/14. Granted 24/10/14!! Activated 31/03/15. Arrival 27/08/15.Citizenship Applied 17/04/2019,  Test confirmed 09/07/2019 for 15/12/2019

1000s are testing positive for virus but with no symptoms, the infected they say could be millions.

• Like 1

On 16/03/2020 at 08:46, rammygirl said:

I now doubt very much we will be travelling to Thailand but as our trip is 6 weeks away we can’t really do anything about it.  The hotels and airlines only want to deal with people travelling in the next week, makes perfect sense as they are overwhelmed!

Wish we had some idea how long these restrictions will last.

I don’t know if this will help reference travel insurance?

Our travel insurance was free as aligned to our credit card, but we had an excess of over $200 for pre existing conditions. We applied for a refund on the excess as our trip was canceled about 6 weeks before travel.

We are being refunded 75%  of the excess so it was well worth applying.

We have also had a % of the airfare refunded plus some from the tour. Much better than we had anticipated, thought we would get nothing back.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Toots said:

Just back from Adelaide and Barossa supermarkets seemed well stocked , our neighbour works at local Woolworths and said people coming up to hunter to shop and complaining about lack of stock 

unbelievable, people need to get a grip 

Edited by Rallyman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ramot said:

I don’t know if this will help reference travel insurance?

Our travel insurance was free as aligned to our credit card, but we had an excess of over $200 for pre existing conditions. We applied for a refund on the excess as our trip was canceled about 6 weeks before travel.

We are being refunded 75%  of the excess so it was well worth applying.

We have also had a % of the airfare refunded plus some from the tour. Much better than we had anticipated, thought we would get nothing back.

Yes worth a try but not holding my breath, ours is with Westpac credit card. At least they have now said no travel overseas rather than advising against it, so we have a sounder ground to cancel.  I think at this stage I would prefer to cancel rather than re arrange!

My sister in UK keeps getting e mails from Virgin Atlantic to re arrange her flights to USA in May, but all their flights later in the year are 3 to 4 times as much, she will wait for them to cancel her flight or take the hit!

The UK seems really bad now, she is in healthcare and many staff are not coming in to work, all non essential treatment is being postponed etc.  They were going to see their son in Kent but even travel within the country is restricted and people are being advised not to go to London, he works in the City but is now working from home as are most of the workforce who can. Schools are closing.......

It is going to get a lot worse here too.

• Like 3

So many wineries ......so little time :yes:

We are told to stay home

The advice is to call a clinic/NHS, 111 before rocking up at a clinic. If you have a fever, you should be focusing on those measures, not focusing your little energy, posting on here.

Me, probably!!!! But I'm well prepped with a supply of wool so my knitting will continue unabated! 

Lots of scarves all around, just in time fir winter. Silver lining to every cloud
  • Like 1

When Coronavirus has run its course it, the world will be asking China to please explain. We need to go to the source of these outbreaks.  The source for both SARS and now seemingly Coronavirus (SARS is also a form of Coronavirus) stem from the culture at Wet Markets in China.  I have been to the wet markets in Xian the walled city, in Xiang Province in western China, which overall was fairly clean
Wet markets are those where the streets and alleyways are wet from the melting ice from the many seafood vendors and for the fact that the blood and guts from slaughtered animals is hosed down.  The issue is cultural, or it was when I was there, in relation to wild animals. 
Some chinese people, not all of course, believe that consuming wild animals is a sign of wealth and status. You can purchase, at significant cost, wild animals in wet markets and have them slaughtered in front of you,  The worst that I saw was the slaughter of Wolf cubs. The vendor will tell you that warm meat is the best meat. That is the culture and practice that needs to be outlawed and eradicated. Its the custom that is the problem. If people are willing to pay high prices for wild animals, then a market will follow.
Strangely the wet markets are actually regulated to some extent. There were police everywhere in the Xian markets, but they were only after the clandestine pirate DVD vendors.  

Good luck with that.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Marisawright said:

France, italy and Spain have done exactly that, but I haven't heard any suggestion that Australia will do the same.  Those countries have far higher levels of infection than we do. 

Here in Melbourne, I think a lot of people are already avoiding restaurants and cafes.

My youngest works in a cafe by the beach and he says they have been a lot quiter than usual. Enough people for them to tick over and make a profit as they get a lot of take away orders. There's a big car park and kids play parks across the road and a lot of people call in for takeaway and take them across to the park. 

No calls for them to close yet.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

I had a decent night's sleep appart from the shortness of breath, drank 3lts of water.  At last the headache and body pain has eased. Still very week and light headed, need to start eating to build up strength now. I will probably start returning calls and emails today.

Thanks for asking.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Toots said:

Yes, it does seem he probably has been struck down with Covid-19.  Wonder if his wife and sons have contracted it too.  😐 

The wife has it. She is about 2 days behind me.

We had to take the kids out of school (as per the guidelines).

My wife said the kids had sore throats about a week and a half ago so maybe they had a mild version.

• Sad 2