register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

simmo

Corona Virus

I recon my mate would find a cure....

Up to 170 deaths now. The virus is spreading, but the governments of the world are treating it very seriously.
Still at this stage we don't know how big it could become.
  • Haha 1

Voted Best Newcomer 2010 by PIO Members.......Thank you....x

1 hour ago, tonyman said:

I recon my mate would find a cure....

Cloves of garlic up the nose and sacrifice a chook?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, newjez said:

Cloves of garlic up the nose and sacrifice a chook?

That’s quite funny jez ! 

The world health organisation has now declared it a global health emergency.  I think that moves it on from the press like a good story. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 29/01/2020 at 18:04, Tulip1 said:

I’m not up with all the figures but if it’s no different to flu then I assume 81 people in that region has died of flu in the last few weeks? That seems a high number. The uk foreign office has warned against all but essential travel to that area and they don’t say that about standard flu. They are trying to get all UK citizens out of the area too. They are desperately trying to trace anyone in the UK that’s been in that area in the last few weeks to test them and have said that anyone who has must self isolate themselves.  I do think this is something a bit more worrying than the normal flu. Why else all the drama. 

flu kills hundreds of thousands a year, not because it's particularly dangerous but because it's very infectious and we're past the point of being able to stop it spreading.  It is already in the world, and it's always winter somewhere so it hops around from hemisphere to hemisphere.   Flu clears out the oldest and weakest with secondary effects, such as pneumonia, or preying on weak immune systems.  Death can be attributed to multiple reasons, but it's because they got flu in the first place.  Flu evolves every year, hence the different vaccinations required.  Spanish flu was a mutation that killed more younger people but did not affect the elderly as much.  Nobody knows why even now.

Even if this new virus isn't dangerous now (as in high mortality rate) , the last thing they need is for it to mutate and hang around forever, like the existing flu we're used to.  if they can catch it while it's small, it can die out, like SARS did.

• Like 4

"Nationalism is an infantile disease, it is the measles of mankind." Albert Einstein

•  

Starting to sound like the script from survivors. Disappointed they didn't make another series. Maybe if they had added zombies.

The pneumonia like virus which originated in Wuhan, China, has infected more than 8,100 people and killed 170.

So far the virus does not seem to be as deadly as SARS which killed 774 people from 2002 to 2003. SARS had a mortality rate of 9.6%, whereas about 2% of people infected with the new coronavirus have died but the number of people infected after one month has already surpassed the SARS outbreak’s eight-month total.

Many patients with coronavirus have already made full recoveries. According to Chinese officials, most of those who’ve died were elderly or had other ailments that compromised their immune systems.

Experts say that for the most part, global panic over the Wuhan coronavirus is unproductive and unwarranted: The public should take precautions to avoid getting sick but the most effective preventative measures are everyday actions like increased handwashing and not touching your face.

• Like 1

Scientists seem to agree that the virus seems to have jumped species into humans from a variety of animals compliments of the ongoing practice of selling and slaughtering just about any living creature in the Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market.  Animals including wolf cubs, hedgehogs, snakes, rats, dogs and peacocks are restrained in absolutely appalling conditions and then killed in the most cruel way.  Not a peep out of animal activists or any governments around the globe.  Maybe it is payback time from nature.

• Like 2

I’ve been to this area and the wet markets are not pleasant. They seem to eat more or less anything living but I guess maybe that happens with such a massive population.

5 hours ago, Toots said:

Not a peep out of animal activists

You really think that toots?

There is a boat load of animal rights stuff critical of China.

Not our fault if you choose not to read it.

25 minutes ago, newjez said:

You really think that toots?

There is a boat load of animal rights stuff critical of China.

Not our fault if you choose not to read it.

Animal welfare and rights in the People's Republic of China is a topic of growing interest. China has had limited animal protections by international standards, and animal-rights activists have condemned the treatment of animals in the country.  Movements towards animal welfare and animal rights are expanding in China including among homegrown Chinese activists.  Must be hard when vast numbers of the population still treat animals with no respect whatsoever and will eat practically anything that breathes.

• Like 1

I am with toots on this one I care more for the animals they torture than the people themselves dying.

• Like 2

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

Even Chinese rats are worried.

Image result for coronavirus gif funny

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

24 minutes ago, Perthbum said:

I am with toots on this one I care more for the animals they torture than the people themselves dying.

As I said   ............  payback time.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Toots said:

As I said   ............  payback time.

I have been to the Silk Road Markets in Beijing. It was supposed to be a tourist thing to do, but not encoraged as a tourist spot for westeners. That's why we went there. .

China is a wonderful place but we saw the local underbelly at the local Silk Road Markets.. Live exotic Animals having their throat slit for your culinary delight. And the spitting. Men women and children hocking and hacking to the extent that a noticeble din prevailed over the area. The spitting is quite confronting and you need to watch where you tread.

Dirty, Filthy markets. 

I bought the Beatles White Album for AU$1.

Edited by Dusty Plains
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Dusty Plains said:

I have been to the Silk Road Markets in Beijing. It was supposed to be a tourist thing to do, but not encoraged as a tourist spot for westeners. That's why we went there. .

Huge, huge markets markets, but OMG, filth. cruelty to live animals everywhere. slitting throats of animals that westeres would never consume. Dodgy food and drink and thousands of  locals, men women and children hocking and hacking and spitting all over the place. The Chinese at home spit as of often as the average westerner  would walk ten paces. its very confronting, men women and children hocking up that throat slime and spitting everywhere. You had to watch your step. 

China is a wonderful place but we saw the local underbelly.

China is a huge country with many beautiful areas but yes the filth gets to you big time.  I can't remember which market we were in but it wasn't a large city more a big town.  One elderly lady had a bucket full of animal guts and blood which she just threw onto the street in front of every body.  The smell!!!!  Makes me heave just thinking about it.

I think the interesting thing is whether people who have recovered are still infectious in any way.

I think I read somewhere that the 9000 odd people infected are not all still sick and many may have recovered. So the number of people still infectious may be a lot less

I want it all, and I want it now.

15 minutes ago, Toots said:

China is a huge country with many beautiful areas but yes the filth gets to you big time.  I can't remember which market we were in but it wasn't a large city more a big town.  One elderly lady had a bucket full of animal guts and blood which she just threw onto the street in front of every body.  The smell!!!!  Makes me heave just thinking about it.

Don’t get me started on the ladies toilets! 

• Haha 1

Just now, ramot said:

Don’t get me started on the ladies toilets! 

No one did.

• Haha 3

I want it all, and I want it now.

2 minutes ago, Parley said:

No one did.

Ok I will start, then  they are so dirty the lack of hygiene is appalling. A breeding ground for disease. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, ramot said:

Ok I will start, then  they are so dirty the lack of hygiene is appalling. A breeding ground for disease. 

Grown men peeing in the street and little children squatting to poop anywhere they please.  The toddlers wear little trousers with a split in them to aid ease of a quick pee or pooh wherever they happen to be at the time.  Nobody uses hankies/tissues so hoicking and spitting is rife.

I dont think its just China, i found Thailand dirty and very smelly in most parts and lets not get started on the amount of rubbish and plastic left on the side of streets.. digusting

Cal x

• Like 1

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

8 minutes ago, calNgary said:

I dont think its just China, i found Thailand dirty and very smelly in most parts and lets not get started on the amount of rubbish and plastic left on the side of streets.. digusting

Cal x

Depends where you are in Thailand - I just found it far more in your face in China.  India has it's hygiene problems too but I really like India.

Chinese dog owners rush to buy face masks for their pooches amid coronavirus outbreak as experts warn pets could also get infected by the deadly disease.  

mask.jpg

Edited by Toots
  • Like 1