register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

simmo

Corona Virus

3 hours ago, Parley said:

Bad News @Tulip1 Australia has just introduced the same rule.

If you come you have to self isolate for 14 days on arrival.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/pm-introduces-strict-travel-restrictions-for-all-arrivals-20200315-p54a8q.html

Does this also apply to citizens returning from overseas? I have a friend on a cruise in the Caribbean, transiting through the US, returning back to Aus on 25 March. I'm wondering how she will be affected by this.

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Canada2Australia said:

Does this also apply to citizens returning from overseas? I have a friend on a cruise in the Caribbean, transiting through the US, returning back to Aus on 25 March. I'm wondering how she will be affected by this.

News sources are reporting that all arrivals will need to self-isolate for 14 days upon entry into the country. 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-15/coronavirus-covid19-self-isolation-announced-for-australia/12057772

Also advice here if undertaking self-isolation:

https://www.health.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/2020/03/coronavirus-covid-19-isolation-guidance_3.pdf

Edited by Dusty Plains
  • Like 1

Those who have had it saying they having the Flu is far worse than having this virus, so if you feel like you are at deaths door it is almost certainly the flu.

• Haha 1

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

2 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

That’s exactly what he’s not to do 🙄

We all hope Simmo is going to be OK and that he just has a bad dose of the flu. As a side issue there are a number of us on here who are in Australia. Advising someone  who exhibits symptoms, in Australia, may not be the same advice as in the UK.

If you are in Australia then the Australian Government, Department of Health provides the following advice (with my bold highlights added):

Testing and diagnosis

If you become unwell and think you may have symptoms of coronavirus, seek medical attention.

Your doctor will decide if you need testing, based on the following criteria:

• you have returned from overseas in the 14 days before you feel unwell
  • you have been a close or casual contact of a confirmed COVID-19 case in the 14 days before you feel unwell
  • you have a fever or acute respiratory infection (e.g. shortness of breath, cough, sore throat) with or without fever
  • you have a severe community-acquired pneumonia and no other cause of it is clear to your doctor, with or without recent international travel
  • if you are a healthcare worker with direct patient contact and have a fever (≥37.5) and an acute respiratory infection (e.g. shortness of breath, cough, sore throat)

Call ahead of time to book an appointment. Tell your doctor about your symptoms, travel history and any recent close contact with someone who has coronavirus.

If you must leave home to see your doctor, wear a surgical mask (if you have one) to protect others.

If you have serious symptoms such as difficulty breathing, call 000 for urgent medical help.

Find out what happens if you have a suspected case of coronavirus.

Treatment

There is no treatment for coronavirus, but medical care can treat most of the symptoms. Antibiotics do not work on viruses.

If you have been diagnosed with coronavirus, isolate yourself in your home.

My Daughter in Law is international flight crew for Virgin and arrived back in Sydney this morning from LA.   She is self isolating even though she doesn't have to, and is taking leave so she doesn't have to fly again for a few weeks.   She told me her flight was half empty and they spread everyone out across the plane so there were spaces between people.  Guessing that people will be cancelling anything but emergency flights soon.

......Just trying to be helpful so don't shoot me down if my personal views do not coincide with yours! :animal-dog:

2 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

I’m not surprised but I’m gutted. I see little point in coming if I’m to sit inside for 2 weeks. I doubt I’ll get my money back so no holiday and £1300 lost. My best hope would be that Qantas will allow me to take the flight at another time but I’d assume they’d only do that if they cancel the flight, which is possible. If I have lost the money anyway maybe it’s better to still come and sit inside but I’d go stir crazy doing that and it wouldn’t be fair on my sons who I know would feel they have to stay in with me. I was so looking forward to seeing them and my first little grandchild.  Feeling very sad today 😢

Customers with existing bookings on any domestic or international flight until 31 May 2020, who no longer wish to travel, can cancel their flight and retain the value of the booking travel credit. This offer is available until 31 March 2020.

https://www.qantas.com/gb/en/travel-info/travel-updates/coronavirus/booking-changes-and-refunds.html

👍

• Like 4

Jeremy Corbyn on the EU  " A European bureaucracy totally unaccountable to anybody"

2 hours ago, Canada2Australia said:

I thought i heard cruise ships would be banned from docking in Australia for a while. As for flying it said ''anyone'' landing must self isolate.

Cal x

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

5 hours ago, simmo said:

So how do we know the true numbers if we are told to stay home and self isolate? 

I am now day 3 (I think)

Day 1 was like a typical beginning of cold or flu.

Day 2 couldn't get off the sofa all day banging headache and feeling like eyes rattling about in the head., Weakness, feverish.

Aching upper back. I have a dry cough but wouldn't say that is the main symptom.  The fever, cold sweats and headache is the worst I think I have had.

(Day 3)not much sleep bed soaking wet, going from dry and clammy to sweaty. THE HEADACHE!!. Still in bed 5am will try to stay in bed as long as I can.

999.....its your only hope.....

• Haha 2

Hello from another in self isolation. 

Started feeling ill last Tuesday. Very sore ankles and thought it was gout, but felt different. Bad dry coughs, generally feeling crap. Very bad headache. Wednesday,  same but worse. Thursday same but with a high fever. Friday, cough a little better and fever on an off. Sort of too hot one minute not the next. Saturday aching joints. Today, feel better, fever gone, cough a lot better, no more headaches, joints still ache a bit. Particularly elbows. 

• Sad 1

Big anger at China around the world, after they caused Sars they were told to stop live animal markets, they did for 6 months then started again, dont think the world is going to forgive them for this one, can see their economy really suffering and lots of experts are saying the same. 

Jining in China is one of the most polluted cities in the world, on the radio that a 5 year old girl woke up last week and asked why the sky is blue, she had never seen anything but  a haze over the city, thats one good thing coming out of this virus plus live meat markets aint coming back.

41 minutes ago, VERYSTORMY said:

Started feeling ill last Tuesday. Very sore ankles and thought it was gout, but felt different. Bad dry coughs, generally feeling crap. Very bad headache. Wednesday,  same but worse. Thursday same but with a high fever. Friday, cough a little better and fever on an off. Sort of too hot one minute not the next. Saturday aching joints. Today, feel better, fever gone, cough a lot better, no more headaches, joints still ache a bit. Particularly elbows. 

Hope you start to feel better soon xM

• Like 1

1 hour ago, calNgary said:

I thought i heard cruise ships would be banned from docking in Australia for a while. As for flying it said ''anyone'' landing must self isolate.

Cal x

It's a Caribbean cruise accessed from Miami. She flies to and from Australia.

Yeah, I'm thinking she will have to self-quarantine. However, she lives in Darwin but her plane has to go through Melbourne first, so I wonder if they will force her to quarantine there or if she will be allowed to fly back to Darwin so she can quarantine in her own home.

So many questions.

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Canada2Australia said:

It's a Caribbean cruise accessed from Miami. She flies to and from Australia.

Yeah, I'm thinking she will have to self-quarantine. However, she lives in Darwin but her plane has to go through Melbourne first, so I wonder if they will force her to quarantine there or if she will be allowed to fly back to Darwin so she can quarantine in her own home.

So many questions.

Edited by ramot

Posted (edited)

Quite relevant.

Particularly for @Perthbum

Edited by unzippy
  • Like 2

It's OK my friend already has a cure for this latest outburst......
If things carry on then I'll post a separate thread ..........also has a reason why all this has started.... The US are to blame ...viral experiment gone wrong ....

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Voted Best Newcomer 2010 by PIO Members.......Thank you....x

40 minutes ago, tonyman said:

It's OK my friend already has a cure for this latest outburst......
If things carry on then I'll post a separate thread ..........also has a reason why all this has started.... The US are to blame ...viral experiment gone wrong ....

Do enlighten us, I need cheering up. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

I’m not surprised but I’m gutted. I see little point in coming if I’m to sit inside for 2 weeks. I doubt I’ll get my money back so no holiday and £1300 lost. My best hope would be that Qantas will allow me to take the flight at another time but I’d assume they’d only do that if they cancel the flight, which is possible. If I have lost the money anyway maybe it’s better to still come and sit inside but I’d go stir crazy doing that and it wouldn’t be fair on my sons who I know would feel they have to stay in with me. I was so looking forward to seeing them and my first little grandchild.  Feeling very sad today 😢

No, Qantas are saying that they are allowing a scheduled change for free - depending on when you are flying of course.  I thought they were being very generous actually.  If you were isolated of course, your family shouldn't be in your vicinity!  I know that I wont see the granddaughters for a fortnight and the son will leave goods at the door.  The men in the family are worried about who gets the garage!!!!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Quoll said:

No, Qantas are saying that they are allowing a scheduled change for free - depending on when you are flying of course.  I thought they were being very generous actually.  If you were isolated of course, your family shouldn't be in your vicinity!  I know that I wont see the granddaughters for a fortnight and the son will leave goods at the door.  The men in the family are worried about who gets the garage!!!!!

I agree it’s generous. It says if you booked through a third party you have to contact them direct and can’t do it on Qantas manage my booking. I booked via skyscanner so trying to contact the company I booked through. Hopefully the outcome will still be the same as it’s still a Qantas international flight, fingers crossed.  Just make sure it’s not you in the garage! Take care. 

5 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

I'm getting it in waves too, not sure if it is the paracetamol or not but it seems to ease up then get worse.  

9 hours ago, simmo said:

I found some paracetamol powders that seem to help with the headache and temperature.

The dry cough and no snot seem to make it feel different from a conventional cold/flu.  Dry lips too.

9 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

Pretty bad.  I feel for you.  My wife and I had a bad dose of the flu in 2015 just after arriving here when we were staying in an AirBNB so I recognise all those symptoms and for us the cough was one of the worst things.

How are the rest of your family?

self isolate in your man shed mate, see you in march with luck 😢

6 hours ago, Perthbum said:

Big anger at China around the world, after they caused Sars they were told to stop live animal markets, they did for 6 months then started again, dont think the world is going to forgive them for this one, can see their economy really suffering and lots of experts are saying the same. 

Trust me , this is just the beginning for china .

Hong kong will be back on the table , when things quieten down .

Maybe the demand for democracy will spread within china .

Maybe the travel and trade ban will stay in place , in regards to china ?

Who knows

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

10 hours ago, Canada2Australia said:

Yes it applies to everyone arriving.

I want it all, and I want it now.