You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

simmo

Corona Virus

So people who are on holiday should stay on holiday, interesting!

4 hours ago, Dusty Plains said:

Coronavirous CAN live for up to nine days on hard surfaces, although it does depend on the particualar surface.

This may, therefore, include Coronavirus being resident on common objects such as trolley handles, lift buttons, door handles, toilet flush buttons, eftpos modules, train, bus and ferry turnstile scanners, postal delivery scanners ( where you are required to use your finger to sign for the delivery), poker machines, seat belt buckles in taxi cabs, security fingerprint scanners,  ATM's, petrol bowser hand grip nozzles, the finger holes of bowling balls in bowling alleys, cash transactions  which require change to be given by hand, or anywhere, for that matter where many people use or touch a single hard surface, at a PARTICULARLY COMMON POINT .  In other words...................avoid common pinch points that are obviously used or contacted by people within the previous nine days.

Do not rely on other parties providing effective barriers against hard surface contamination. Who knows what effectiveness trolley wipes provide , given, that trolley wipes have been around for several years? Have they changed their constiuency to specifically counter Coronavirus? Unlikely. Trolley Wipes are disinfectant against bacteria, not virus. Take your alcohol-based hand sanitiser when shopping.

The nominal life span for coronavirus, on hard surfaces may extend beyond nine days if there are, circumstances of cool tempertures and high humidity.

the virus can survive up to three days on plastic and stainless steel, and up to 24 hours on cardboard, and up to four hours on copper surfaces. In a second part of the experiment, the researchers used a spray can-like device to spritz the virus into the air and discovered that the virus can survive suspended in a fine mist for up to three hours, though longer times were not tested.

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

1 hour ago, Dusty Plains said:

The US has banned all people from the Shengeng Europe coming into the US. This does not include the Uk or Ireland. The Shengeng is a community of European countries where border controls are either lax or non-existent. In other words, soft borders. However the Shengeng comunity is also a hop step and a jump from the UK and Ireland. Its like driving from Sydney to a point still inside NSW. 

The Coronavirus has made us rethink many things, not least of the fact that we have hard borders, that work to our advantage One of those is the fact that people who have achieved Australian Citizenship tend, like most people tend, and as continually highlighted on PIO, to go back to visit relatives or to conduct business back in the old country.  When I visit my relatives who are int their 80'and 90's who were born here, I only have to travel as far as Queensland, from Sydney.

The point being is that Coronavirus likes movement, obviously. Your suggestion that somehow you are entitled to come back to Australia, is part of the problem.What happened to our hard borders that work for us terms of the Coronavirus epidemic. Its not your fault. The Australian Government should be banning any person from Europe, the UK or Ireland from entering, or re-entering the country. I suspect that will also emerge as a too-late strategy.

Pull the drawbridge up lads, isolate, isolate.

Keep everybody out.

That is all very easy for govts to do, puts all the responsibility on the individual.

Taiwan, S Korea, Singapore and Hong Kong have all been monitoring traveller's as they land and forcing those showing symptoms to go into isolation, it seems that my govt and yours and America's have simply been in denial about this situation.

As I have said earlier in this thread our govts are more interested in the economy and in hiding their own incompetence and culpability in amongst the statistics of deaths and infections, hoping that they will escape criticism in the aftermath of this pandemic by pointing the finger at others as the culprits for its spread, which is exactly what Chump is already doing, 'Nothing to do with me folks, it's all the fault of those pesky Europeans'. That will be the new fake news story by next week.

The UK's Govt is already peddling that they are following "expert" advice, so they will avoid any responsibility for their lack of leadership and the fact that they have decimated public services to such an extent that they will not cope.

In the UK health and care sector there are 240,000 staff vacancies, 20,000 less police, 17,000 less hospital beds and cuts to all emergency services, this is before the inevitable sickness rate skyrockets as Covid takes hold.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dusty Plains said:

The US has banned all people from the Shengeng Europe coming into the US. This does not include the Uk or Ireland. The Shengeng is a community of European countries where border controls are either lax or non-existent. In other words, soft borders. However the Shengeng comunity is also a hop step and a jump from the UK and Ireland. Its like driving from Sydney to a point still inside NSW. 

The Coronavirus has made us rethink many things, not least of the fact that we have hard borders, that work to our advantage One of those is the fact that people who have achieved Australian Citizenship tend, like most people tend, and as continually highlighted on PIO, to go back to visit relatives or to conduct business back in the old country.  When I visit my relatives who are int their 80'and 90's who were born here, I only have to travel as far as Queensland, from Sydney.

The point being is that Coronavirus likes movement, obviously. Your suggestion that somehow you are entitled to come back to Australia, is part of the problem.What happened to our hard borders that work for us terms of the Coronavirus epidemic. Its not your fault. The Australian Government should be banning any person from Europe, the UK or Ireland from entering, or re-entering the country. I suspect that will also emerge as a too-late strategy.

Your point would only have some validity if Australia had zero cases.  Newsflash: the virus is already here.

Even if nobody gets on another plane this will not eradicate the virus.

Precisely why Trump’s measure is an exercise in total futility - which ultimately only served to stoke up xenophobia and fear (which admittedly is his stock-in-trade and has served him well which was doubtless his main motivation).

• Like 3

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

2 minutes ago, Gbye grey sky said:

Your point would only have some validity if Australia had zero cases.  Newsflash: the virus is already here.

Precisely why Trump’s measure is an exercise in total futility - which ultimately only served to stoke up xenophobia and fear (which admittedly is his stock-in-trade and has served him well which was doubtless his main motivation).

The WHO has stated that Europe is the epicentre of the virus now.

It is perfectly sensible to try and not import new cases from Europe.

• Like 2

I want it all, and I want it now.

9 minutes ago, kungfustu said:

Apart from over 1000 deaths in 2 weeks as protective clothing runs out and the elderly are triaged to decide who to treat and who is simply left to die, yep their govt has done about as well as China’s 

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/926816

On 25/01/2020 at 07:09, simmo said:

It's now in France (thanks no doubt to open boarders).

This is worrying.

Spain has just gone into lock down .

Some flights from the u.k have been turned around 

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

19 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

Spain has just gone into lock down .

Some flights from the u.k have been turned around 

Sorry , its jet2 flights to spain that have gone into lock down .

But I dont think it will be long until spain follows Italy. 

Italy is on day 5 of 24 ? , and new cases seem to be declining .

Those wonderful open e.u  borders - the e.u is now the epicentre of the covid 19 pandemic 

• Like 4

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

13 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

Sorry , its jet2 flights to spain that have gone into lock down .

But I dont think it will be long until spain follows Italy. 

Italy is on day 5 of 24 ? , and new cases seem to be declining .

Those wonderful open e.u  borders - the e.u is now the epicentre of the covid 19 pandemic 

Boris's brexit will fix it, all virus's to halt at our borders.

7 hours ago, simmo said:

Woke up with banging headache, cough, and aching upper back, 

Looking like 7 days isolation for me. 

Rest up Simmo, hope it's unrelated or just mild symptoms.

Wishing you a speedy recovery

• Like 4

:evilface_frowning_s

3 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

Pull the drawbridge up lads, isolate, isolate.

Keep everybody out.

That is all very easy for govts to do, puts all the responsibility on the individual.

Taiwan, S Korea, Singapore and Hong Kong have all been monitoring traveller's as they land and forcing those showing symptoms to go into isolation, it seems that my govt and yours and America's have simply been in denial about this situation.

As I have said earlier in this thread our govts are more interested in the economy and in hiding their own incompetence and culpability in amongst the statistics of deaths and infections, hoping that they will escape criticism in the aftermath of this pandemic by pointing the finger at others as the culprits for its spread, which is exactly what Chump is already doing, 'Nothing to do with me folks, it's all the fault of those pesky Europeans'. That will be the new fake news story by next week.

The UK's Govt is already peddling that they are following "expert" advice, so they will avoid any responsibility for their lack of leadership and the fact that they have decimated public services to such an extent that they will not cope.

In the UK health and care sector there are 240,000 staff vacancies, 20,000 less police, 17,000 less hospital beds and cuts to all emergency services, this is before the inevitable sickness rate skyrockets as Covid takes hold.

what ever happens....whatever course the government takes you will always look straight for the negative and apportion blame.....what is wrong with you?.....has life always been on such a downward spiral......surly it can't continue on that course for ever.....there must be something.....anything.....a tiny morsel of optimism that might cheer you up and help you look at your short time on this planet in a more positive way......this is sincerely a genuine question......

• Like 5

3 hours ago, kungfustu said:

what ever happens....whatever course the government takes you will always look straight for the negative and apportion blame.....what is wrong with you?.....has life always been on such a downward spiral......surly it can't continue on that course for ever.....there must be something.....anything.....a tiny morsel of optimism that might cheer you up and help you look at your short time on this planet in a more positive way......this is sincerely a genuine question......

Lets see next week, apparently deaths in the UK have gone from 10 to 20 in 24 hours, where is the optimism in that.

Fine, carry on believing Boris and the Tories, they'll look after you. 

Hi All,

I am due to activate my permanent residency visa before August  2020. First arrival date, had flights booked via South Korea and have now changed to Singapore,   for arrival I on 1st April.  this date now in doubt due to travel restrictions and rule around self isolation.  Getting really worried in case this mess goes on for another few months and I miss by first arrival date.... 

we should be demanding china stop its live animal markets, they were warned after sars and bird flu now this, enough is enough.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

Apart from over 1000 deaths in 2 weeks as protective clothing runs out and the elderly are triaged to decide who to treat and who is simply left to die, yep their govt has done about as well as China’s 

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/926816

Image result for coronavirus made in china

4 hours ago, kungfustu said:

Tell me which govt is liberal and concerned about its citizens, most are populist, Eire, New Zealand and Canada seem to be liberal in viewpoint.

So whilst we continue to have extremist govts across the globe I will continue to be critical and pessimistic about the future especial as I see the reality of 10 years of politically inspired austerity in the UK.

Where is and what do you measure against? Early days for every country.
I was out this morning and chatting to someone I knew out walking their dog. She then tells me her husband and son have just returned from Japan as they closed the ski resorts. Then said they should be in 2 weeks quarantine, including her, and they'd both gone to work?
Thought nice of you to tell me now.
Conclusion, a lot of people are still thinking it won't happen to me and doesn't matter how good your health service is, if people don't do the right thing it's going to be overloaded.

It’s still not up to snuff. From no knee jerk reaction, to extreme knee jerk reaction, from our friends out in the US.

We shall see.

There will be detractors of course, whatever Trump does the people that don't like him will criticize and there's plenty of them.

Rightly so.

Starting to take off in New York
The governor says it it will soon be like the situation in Italy https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/13/new-york-state-now-has-the-most-coronavirus-cases-in-the-us-as-new-cases-jump-30percent-overnight-to-421.html

Sadly, hardly surprising. Its a big metropolis. Given the non existent US public health system, how it plays out there may be interesting to watch (not for voyeuristic reasons, but to learn lessons/gain insight we can all put to good use instead).

9 hours ago, kungfustu said:

And so 2 weeks after I pointed out the shortage of intensive care beds Boris has just woken up to the problem

22:06 today

Boris Johnson is calling on British manufacturers to boost production of ventilators and other medical equipment to prepare for a significant increase in the number of coronavirus cases.

The prime minister has also warned private hospitals to prepare for an overspill of patients from the public health service.

In a conference call on Monday, Boris Johnson will urge manufacturers to join a “national effort” to tackle the virus.

Engineers have already been asked to draw up plans to quickly produce more ventilators in the UK amid concerns that critical care facilities will come under intense pressure as the Covid-19 crisis intensifies.

In Monday’s call, the prime minister will confirm that the government will buy up stocks of new ventilators that can be produced.

End

I have just been in a private hospital, they were barely coping and obviously using staff on short term contracts to cope with peaks in demand as there was very limited continuity of care so that is another crap idea

Boris and his cabinet of sychophants have never run anything in their lives, barristers, bankers, property developers  investment advisors and journalists, well we are all about to suffer because of their incompetence 

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

So what then? We take no measures aimed  at exclusion and simply allow people, citizens or otherwise to come into the country from "hot" zones?   Of course there are cases already here but its all about reducing the burden on health sysytems. The cancellation of a myriad of activities and the trend towards self-isolation, are not measures intended to stop the spread of Coronavirus. They are measures taken to slow the spread so that the health system can reasonably cope.

Irrespective of these factors, there still needs to be a line drawn in the sand.  Perhaps your newsflash should also be conveyed to the NZ government. I am sure it will be interested to hear that the exclusion of NZ citizens coming back into NZ is now not necessary because there are already cases in NZ. 

Do you think that Australia and NZ are not aware that the southern-hemisphere flu season is about to ramp up?  It is folly to believe that whatever is happening north of the equator at the moment can compare with what Australia ansd New Zealand are about to encounter.

Edited by Dusty Plains

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, kungfustu said:

Agreed. Good Old CTF. Absolutely rife with posters happy to exploit human misery in order to make a political point. From bushfires to virus outbreaks etc. Somehow they manage to get the word "Trump" into posts about Australia's issues with Coronavius. Unbelievable!

Edited by Dusty Plains
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Meath Lass said:

Hi All,

I am due to activate my permanent residency visa before August  2020. First arrival date, had flights booked via South Korea and have now changed to Singapore,   for arrival I on 1st April.  this date now in doubt due to travel restrictions and rule around self isolation.  Getting really worried in case this mess goes on for another few months and I miss by first arrival date.... 

Speak to your case officer. They may extend the deadline.

Lived in Perth for 18 months. Pingponging back in Juli '15!

39 minutes ago, FOL said:

Speak to your case officer. They may extend the deadline.

I would say they have to be flexible. If you can show you have had flights booked and evidence of enforced cancellation/isolation then you have a good case. I don’t expect a blanket amnesty though.

So many wineries ......so little time :yes: