register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

simmo

Corona Virus

7 hours ago, Perthbum said:

So the virus will just spread slower, the sooner everyone gets it and gets immunity the better, this close down will not stop people getting it eventually,.

As it seems that around 10% of those infected become severely ill and around 30% of those people die then you really are not grasping the implications of what you are saying.  If only 10% of the UK population are infected at the same time then that means over 600,00 will be severely ill at once with potentially 100,000 deaths from this every week.

If you even come remotely close to those numbers then there will be a legitimate panic and a total breakdown in social order.  This is precisely why every reasonable action should be taken by all of us to slow down the spread as much as possible.

Vulnerable people are vaccinated against the flu routinely.  There is no vaccine for Covid 19 so it is free to spread to everyone.

• Like 2

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

On 01/02/2020 at 19:16, Toots said:

In a few months it will all be forgotten.

I said this on 1st February.  I am now thinking I was overly optimistic.  😟

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

The flu is deadly I agree but those of us in a HR group seem to be getting it drummed in to us just how much more serious it is. Why?

I just read a good article about it.  The BIG difference is how this virus kills people.

People die of the flu because they get complications, mainly pneumonia.  However the pneumonia is usually bacterial so it can be treated with antibiotics. 

With Covid-19, the pneumonia is caused by the virus itself.  That means antibiotics do nothing, and they haven't found an antiviral that helps either.  The ONLY available treatment is to put the person on oxygen or life support, to give their immune system time to fight the infection off by itself.    Obviously, for people with a compromised immune system, that's unlikely to happen.  

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/13/coronavirus-what-happens-to-peoples-lungs-when-they-get-covid-19

• Like 5

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Toots said:

I said this on 1st February.  I am now thinking I was overly optimistic.  😟

IMO it's telling that Qantas has cut its timetables and mothballed planes until September.  I don't think they would do that unless they'd had some strong evidence.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

21 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

IMO it's telling that Qantas has cut its timetables and mothballed planes until September.  I don't think they would do that unless they'd had some strong evidence.

Demand has fallen off a cliff is the reason.

No one wants to fly anymore. Everyone is cancelling previous bookings.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I want it all, and I want it now.

23 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I just read a good article about it.  The BIG difference is how this virus kills people.

People die of the flu because they get complications, mainly pneumonia.  However the pneumonia is usually bacterial so it can be treated with antibiotics. 

With Covid-19, the pneumonia is caused by the virus itself.  That means antibiotics do nothing, and they haven't found an antiviral that helps either.  The ONLY available treatment is to put the person on oxygen or life support, to give their immune system time to fight the infection off by itself.    Obviously, for people with a compromised immune system, that's unlikely to happen.  

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/13/coronavirus-what-happens-to-peoples-lungs-when-they-get-covid-19

Yes but most people recover from the virus fairly quickly.  Of course there will be poor souls who are going to be so ill they may die but I think most of us (hopefully) would be OK after contracting it.  

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Toots said:

Yes but most people recover from the virus fairly quickly.  Of course there will be poor souls who are going to be so ill they may die but I think most of us (hopefully) would be OK after contracting it.  

I'm surprised at you, Toots.   "Oh yes, most people will be absolutely fine - it's only old people who have to worry and they've had their lives already - who cares?" 

There's an expert on the TV as we speak.   She says the latest figures show the death rate for people over 80, and people like TPQ who have serious pre-existing illnesses, is around 15%.   For everyone else, it's significantly less than 1%. - but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be trying to protect the vulnerable.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I said this on 1st February.  I am now thinking I was overly optimistic.  

I think you may still be right. The measures being taken by successive Governments and businesses should help it slow. It seems to have worked in China.
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I'm surprised at you, Toots.   "Oh yes, most people will be absolutely fine - it's only old people who have to worry and they've had their lives already - who cares?" 

There's an expert on the TV as we speak.   She says the latest figures show the death rate for people over 80, and people like TPQ who have serious pre-existing illnesses, is around 15%.   For everyone else, it's significantly less than 1%. - but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be trying to protect the vulnerable.

I know someone would take it the wrong way.  Of course I care.  I'm no spring chicken myself!  However the government is trying to prevent panic by reducing large crowds such as cancelling events like the Grand Prix etc etc.  Panicking isn't going to help anybody.  My neighbour has cancer another one is in her late 80's - so I'm not taking anything for granted.  So far there are 4 people here in Tassie with the virus.  All of them flew in from overseas.  All of them are in isolation.  Fingers crossed there aren't any more.

Edited by Toots
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Toots said:

I know someone would take it the wrong way.  ....  Panicking isn't going to help anybody.  

So please explain how posting a factual article about the effects of coronavirus is panicking?   @The Pom Queen posted a question and I offered that article which answers her question.  

Edited by Marisawright

10 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

So please explain how posting a factual article about the effects of coronavirus is panicking?   @The Pom Queen posted a question and I offered that article which answers her question.  

I wasn't referring to the factual article re panicking.  I was talking about panicking as in stockpiling, loo rolls, face masks and foods such as rice, pasta etc.  

20 hours ago, ssiri said:

If it has to be compared against that of third world countries, to claim superiority rather than against that of other first world countries (peers), it’s a pretty sad state of affairs.

Conclusion: It’s not up to snuff for a first world country.

Where is and what do you measure against? Early days for every country.

I was out this morning and chatting to someone I knew out walking their dog. She then tells me her husband and son have just returned from Japan as they closed the ski resorts. Then said they should be in 2 weeks quarantine, including her, and they'd both gone to work?

Thought nice of you to tell me now.

Conclusion, a lot of people are still thinking it won't happen to me and doesn't matter how good your health service is, if people don't do the right thing it's going to be overloaded.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Toots said:

I wasn't referring to the factual article re panicking.  I was talking about panicking as in stockpiling, loo rolls, face masks and foods such as rice, pasta etc.  

The thing is, that's the post you quoted when you replied saying most people would be fine. 

On 11/03/2020 at 17:20, BacktoDemocracy said:

This is very interesting,( below) asserts that nominal death rate from flu is in order of 0.1%, admits WHO quote of 3.4% for corvid is probably too high but even if it is too high by 50% it is obvious that this situation is much more serious than flu.

I simply do not understand why people are denying that this is not a serious situation, is it simply another manifestation of fake news.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/11/closed-borders-and-black-weddings-what-the-1918-flu-teaches-us-about-coronavirus

I've not heard anyone say it's not a serious situation BTD. I think just about everyone underestimated how serious it's going to be at first. It's sinking in now though and every country is doing what they can.

There will be detractors of course, whatever Trump does the people that don't like him will criticize and there's plenty of them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I wonder if having had the pneumonia inoculation will give any immunity against a virus? I hope so and  I do realise the difference.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

The thing is, that's the post you quoted when you replied saying most people would be fine. 

I should have deleted the article when I replied.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ramot said:

I wonder if having had the pneumonia inoculation will give any immunity against a virus? I hope so and  I do realise the difference.

My husband was just wondering about that too.

15 minutes ago, Toots said:

My husband was just wondering about that too.

Going to check when I had mine as I think it’s only valid for 5 years? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ramot said:

Going to check when I had mine as I think it’s only valid for 5 years? 

We had ours two years ago.

3 hours ago, Marisawright said:

If my wife’s company is typical they instructed all employees not to make ANY flights at the start of this week.  Two days ago they said that Sydney staff should rotate each week working from home and going to the office.  Now today have announced that all staff should work from home and the office will, essentially, close until further notice.

Against this background I will be surprised if there any planes in the air at all this time next week.

Flight Centre have closed 100 stores today too.

• Like 3

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

37 minutes ago, ramot said:

Apparently not

• Sad 1

I was watching how cranky some people are after flying from the UK and other countries to watch the grand prix in Melbourne only to find it's been cancelled.  

12 minutes ago, Toots said:

I was watching how cranky some people are after flying from the UK and other countries to watch the grand prix in Melbourne only to find it's been cancelled.  

Let’s hope they can still fly home.

• Like 1

Yesterdays flight from Melbourne to Brunei was very quiet, the flight from Brunei to London was packed.

Jeremy Corbyn on the EU  " A European bureaucracy totally unaccountable to anybody"

Peter Dutton just announced he has Corona virus

I want it all, and I want it now.