and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

simmo

Corona Virus

1 hour ago, newjez said:

That's great news.😷🤔

"But the coronavirus outbreak that is believed to have originated in the Chinese city of Wuhan last month should be taken seriously. At least 81 people have died in China as a result of the virus that can cause pneumonia. More than 2,700 others have been infected in more than a dozen countries, including five confirmed cases in the U.S. At least 60 people were being tested in the U.S. for the disease as well. Officials expect more deaths and infections to follow, and some health experts estimate as many as 100,000 people could be infected in China."

Just now, simmo said:

That's great news.😷🤔

"But the coronavirus outbreak that is believed to have originated in the Chinese city of Wuhan last month should be taken seriously. At least 81 people have died in China as a result of the virus that can cause pneumonia. More than 2,700 others have been infected in more than a dozen countries, including five confirmed cases in the U.S. At least 60 people were being tested in the U.S. for the disease as well. Officials expect more deaths and infections to follow, and some health experts estimate as many as 100,000 people could be infected in China."

Don't panic Simmo. It's another version of the flu.  Yes flu can be nasty and it can kill you just the same as coronavirus.  You can probably get surgical face masks in Boots if your worried about it.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Toots said:

Don't panic Simmo. It's another version of the flu.  Yes flu can be nasty and it can kill you just the same as coronavirus.  You can probably get surgical face masks in Boots if your worried about it.

Maybe you guidance is required at world health organisation, as they seem to be taking it quite seriously.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I’m not up with all the figures but if it’s no different to flu then I assume 81 people in that region has died of flu in the last few weeks? That seems a high number. The uk foreign office has warned against all but essential travel to that area and they don’t say that about standard flu. They are trying to get all UK citizens out of the area too. They are desperately trying to trace anyone in the UK that’s been in that area in the last few weeks to test them and have said that anyone who has must self isolate themselves.  I do think this is something a bit more worrying than the normal flu. Why else all the drama. 

Edited by Tulip1
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

Maybe you guidance is required at world health organisation, as they seem to be taking it quite seriously.

I'm not personally worried about it but on the other hand I wouldn't go out of my way to visit Wuhan.  The sooner they get a vaccine out for it the better.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

It's their job to worry about things like that.

• Like 1

132 dead now and thousands diagnosed as having it. BA have suspended all flights there.

It seems like there are some new dimensions to this infection, one it has long incubation period and it has the ability to be transmitted before signs of infection appear

The "spanish flu epidemic" of 1918 is reckoned to have killed tens of millions in a worldwide epidemic, so as with any new disease it is going to take time to figure out how to fight it, a big part of the problem of course is that it appears to have jumped species which is worrying as our own human antibodies may not protect us from a disease normally limited to another species, in exactly the same way that Aids was so disastrous. What no one seems to be talking about is how effective the drugs cupboard is in helping to treat it, China has a poor record on limiting routine dosing of farm animals with disease limiting antibiotics, especially last resort ones.

So, unless things start to improve over the next few weeks we could be in for a rough year

Just pointing out a few nasty possibilities

And for those who think globally, this is going to be disastrous for the Chinese economy, which is one of the biggest drivers of the worlds economies!

14 minutes ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

It seems like there are some new dimensions to this infection, one it has long incubation period and it has the ability to be transmitted before signs of infection appear

The "spanish flu epidemic" of 1918 is reckoned to have killed tens of millions in a worldwide epidemic, so as with any new disease it is going to take time to figure out how to fight it, a big part of the problem of course is that it appears to have jumped species which is worrying as our own human antibodies may not protect us from a disease normally limited to another species, in exactly the same way that Aids was so disastrous. What no one seems to be talking about is how effective the drugs cupboard is in helping to treat it, China has a poor record on limiting routine dosing of farm animals with disease limiting antibiotics, especially last resort ones.

So, unless things start to improve over the next few weeks we could be in for a rough year

Just pointing out a few nasty possibilities

And for those who think globally, this is going to be disastrous for the Chinese economy, which is one of the biggest drivers of the worlds economies!

This seems to be a pretty measured assesment which gives some reassurances about it as a virus rather than bacterial, so antibiotics are no answer.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jan/29/what-is-the-coronavirus-symptoms-china-wuhan-virus-sars-infection

On 25/01/2020 at 07:09, simmo said:

It's now in France (thanks no doubt to open boarders).

This is worrying.

There is obviously a lot more to this than they are telling us .

The deaths are escalating,  and certain airlines are not flying to china .

I get the impression it's the rate at which the infections multiply .

Brits are all being flown home from the area , and straight into quarantine 

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

8 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

I’m not up with all the figures but if it’s no different to flu then I assume 81 people in that region has died of flu in the last few weeks? That seems a high number. The uk foreign office has warned against all but essential travel to that area and they don’t say that about standard flu. They are trying to get all UK citizens out of the area too. They are desperately trying to trace anyone in the UK that’s been in that area in the last few weeks to test them and have said that anyone who has must self isolate themselves.  I do think this is something a bit more worrying than the normal flu. Why else all the drama. 

Yes , tulip a bit more to it .

Maybe a lot more to it 😣

• Like 2

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

12 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

There is obviously a lot more to this than they are telling us .

The deaths are escalating,  and certain airlines are not flying to china .

I get the impression it's the rate at which the infections multiply .

Brits are all being flown home from the area , and straight into quarantine 

Would you expect the deaths to decrease? Ie dead people to come back to life? Of course the deaths are going to escalate.

As far as we are aware, it's no worse than the flu, and they will have a vaccine in a month or so. 

The papers will get bored with it in a couple of weeks.

Edited by newjez
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, newjez said:

Would you expect the deaths to decrease? Ie dead people to come back to life? Of course the deaths are going to escalate.

As far as we are aware, it's no worse than the flu, and they will have a vaccine in a month or so. 

So you think one dead person can split in two?

12 hours ago, simmo said:

That's great news.😷🤔

Flu Kills 646,000 People Worldwide Each Year, corona only kills the elderly or very sick, we are a world of panickers.
Image result for end of the world disease

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

2 hours ago, newjez said:

Exactly people who panic will panic, I remember Simmo wearing a mask to work when the bird flu was the scare story of the month.

• Haha 3

33 minutes ago, simmo said:

So you think one dead person can split in two?

With a chainsaw maybe. I don't think the virus would do it.

You're making less sense than usual simmo. Beer o'clock?

• Like 1

Image result for im already bored

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, newjez said:

If it’s no worse than the flu why are they treating it very different than the flu?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

If it’s no worse than the flu why are they treating it very different than the flu?

It's a good story.

Swine flu

Bird flu

Sars

Mers

Ebola

The press love a good virus story. Throw in a few zombies and you've got a B grade movie.

It's not nothing, and until they get a vaccine they should try to contain it, but there's probably more danger from rioting than the virus itself.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, newjez said:

It's a good story.

Swine flu

Bird flu

Sars

Mers

Ebola

The press love a good virus story. Throw in a few zombies and you've got a B grade movie.

It's not nothing, and until they get a vaccine they should try to contain it, but there's probably more danger from rioting than the virus itself.

Ummm I'm not sure and i  agree with Tulip on this,,,,,When countries like the UK, Aus, USA are sending special planes in to evacuate citizens and then putting them said citizens up for a fortnight in quarantine (be it xmas island or an army base) there is no way this is just media hype or a 'good story''. Unless i am wrong i do not recall these evacuations and quarantines happening when the Bird Ful or Swine flu was around. Hence i too think there could be something more to this than we currently know.

Cal x

• Like 4

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

Up to 170 deaths now. The virus is spreading, but the governments of the world are treating it very seriously.

Still at this stage we don't know how big it could become.

• Like 3

I want it all, and I want it now.

It's a good story, and it will probably run into February, but by march I doubt you will find any news stories on Corona virus.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Official! public health emergency.

22 minutes ago, simmo said:

Official! public health emergency.

Image result for dont panic